Myth Busters: Stainless Steel Conductivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
David is being overly fair to the aluminum by doing these tests with clean aluminum. In normal use naked aluminum quickly oxidizes. Aluminum oxide can be better characterized as a resistive material than a conductive one.

If someone here with deep pockets is seriously concerned about moving a little DC with no higher frequency component, 3 inches through solid metal, they should ask David nicely if he will build the PV of their choice out of sterling silver which is a sensational conductor. While it, like aluminum, oxidizes, silver oxide, unlike aluminum oxide, is a pretty darn good conductor.

To the non-technical: While all true, the above is meant as nerd humor/sarcasm.

pipes1

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Hmm
Where do we sign up for the sterling silver Super-Precise????
Sounds like the next work of art, from David.

Bob

P.S. I will even be willing to sign up without the requirement of voltage loss testing. (Two SS P10 Precises, and two AL S6s all seem to work to perfection. Far more important than charts, graphs and data sheets.)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey David most people use 510's so lets see that test again :D.

It isn't necessary as any type of atomizer can be used to produce a loaded voltage. It is true that different types of atomizers run at different loaded voltages, but that isn't what we are/ or want to measure in this test. This test was designed to show the voltage loss associated with running stainless steel or aluminum as the ground. We would get an identical spread (approx. 3/100 of a volt) whether we were using a 510, 901, 801 etc...

Hope that helps!

BTW, i haven't seen you down here on the Super T forums in quite awhile, it's good to see you back and i hope things are well with you!

David

Last edited:

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
0.03 volts thats it........ there is no way anyone can notice that kind of drop while vaping...

lol thats like taking two bottles of 30ml eliquid and placing them on a table. Have a person turn around and then take out 0.03 mls out of one 30ml bottle of eliquid and then asking the person to turn back around and then point to the one with less volume of eliquid....

seriously 0.03 volts won't be missed.... :)

Last edited:

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
You won't miss the .03 volt but won't you miss your sessions polishing the brass and aluminum? ;-)

lol trust me when I say I won't miss the black gunk on my fingers from polishing aluminum or brass. :)

Don't get me wrong I think brass looks really nice but it tarnishes so quickly. Only if the brass had a really nice clear coating then I wouldn't mind it at all. :)

LadyMaMa

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
SE Minnesota
Thanks for the video and commentary, David. Not HBO worthy, but maybe Mythbusters. Unfortunately, mis-information is perpetual and perpetuated. It's likely that you'll have to re-post your video again in another month. *Sigh*

Hi Richie! Hello Brock!...and welcome back Rhino! I know that some of you are Dads, so big hugs for all of you!:)

Susan

Told you so.... ;)

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
David is being overly fair to the aluminum by doing these tests with clean aluminum. In normal use naked aluminum quickly oxidizes. Aluminum oxide can be better characterized as a resistive material than a conductive one.

If someone here with deep pockets is seriously concerned about moving a little DC with no higher frequency component, 3 inches through solid metal, they should ask David nicely if he will build the PV of their choice out of sterling silver which is a sensational conductor. While it, like aluminum, oxidizes, silver oxide, unlike aluminum oxide, is a pretty darn good conductor.

To the non-technical: While all true, the above is meant as nerd humor/sarcasm.
Isn't platinum a better conductor than silver? David, can I get an estimate for the cost of a platinum Precise... better do the P10 to keep the cost down...

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Isn't platinum a better conductor than silver? David, can I get an estimate for the cost of a platinum Precise... better do the P10 to keep the cost down...

At $1700.00 an ounce for platinum, i think we could get one built out of platinum for about $10,000. Start saving your pennies:)

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
At $1700.00 an ounce for platinum, i think we could get one built out of platinum for about $10,000. Start saving your pennies:)

Do you offer financing? :)

As soon as I win the lottery, I'll be contacting you for a platinum P16. I think it will go nicely with either my Maserati, or my Lamborghini...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread