My Internet Went Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
When I woke up this morning, my internet was down. Oh no! I called my ISP and they said it was a network problem and they're working on it. They're still working on it tonight. Luckily, a couple of weeks ago I splurged on a new phone whose specific purpose was to tether my computer if my ISP crashes. Long story short, it didn't work until I figured out that I had to turn off the DSL on the landline that I normally use. (The phone is fine.) It works great. The speed is fine, although I don't make big demands on it such as streaming. Data use isn't as bad as I worried. It's on a cheap TracFone account so I can buy more data when and if I need it. Whew. This would have been a horrible, horrible day if I didn't have it. Trying to use a tiny little phone screen instead of my trusty computer just doesn't cut it for me. I recommend this for anyone who's at the mercy of a cable company, too.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Data rates on LTE wireless can be quite high. It’s often measured in megs rather than gigs. Use caution. In the USA a lot of services have unlimited plans only so it doesn’t matter so much.
Those unlimited plans are much more expensive. Paying by the month, with options to buy more when needed, is much cheaper for something used infrequently. I don't see what LTE has to do with it, though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Those unlimited plans are much more expensive. Paying by the month, with options to buy more when needed, is much cheaper for something used infrequently. I don't see what LTE has to do with it, though.
Cellphone data is usually LTE. Or used to be. I haven’t kept up. CDMA and GSM data has a really low bandwidth. Like 9600kbps iirc. If your data is high bandwidth enough for modern internet it’s not using CDMA or GSM.

Reactions: stols001

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Cellphone data is usually LTE. Or used to be. I haven’t kept up. CDMA and GSM data has a really low bandwidth. Like 9600kbps iirc. If your data is high bandwidth enough for modern internet it’s not using CDMA or GSM.
I assume you're talking about the speed. I'm talking about the quantity, in MB and GB, whether it goes fast or slow. I've been cruising all day on less than 500 MB. This is all email and html pages, no streaming movies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I assume you're talking about the speed. I'm talking about the quantity, in MB and GB, whether it goes fast or slow. I've been cruising all day on less than 500 MB. This is all email and html pages, no streaming movies.
Both happen at the same time though.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I live in the sticks and refuse to buy internet for two houses frankly. So, Verizon gave (sold more like) this Jetpack thingy to me and I use it as an internet hub instead of turning my phone into a hot spot.

We were getting REAMED on data, though. I mean, we finally gave up our "legacy" plan, (that hurt) but the option we have now is cheaper than cable in two houses plus internet.

You do, yes, kind of have to be careful. Our new plan is somehow... weird. But it does everything I need including Netflix.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I live in the sticks and refuse to buy internet for two houses frankly. So, Verizon gave (sold more like) this Jetpack thingy to me and I use it as an internet hub instead of turning my phone into a hot spot.

We were getting REAMED on data, though. I mean, we finally gave up our "legacy" plan, (that hurt) but the option we have now is cheaper than cable in two houses plus internet.

You do, yes, kind of have to be careful. Our new plan is somehow... weird. But it does everything I need including Netflix.

Anna
I looked up your Jetpack and it looks like it's basically the same as using a cell phone. I don't watch TV or Netflix, and all the cable plans include TV, so I have no use for them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wasn't suggesting you use them, I was discussing what I use. The only thing I think I directed your way was yeah phones are great but often the data limits can suck.

The Jetpack is set up as an "internet hub" which makes it a TON easier to write my notes, because my work really frowns on hot spots. That is why I have it. Most of my internet time I use my phone, as a hot spot because yes, it is basically the same... Except it IS NOT.

I don't quite get where I suggested you use ANY of these things. I was talking about why *I* use and why and this seemed to be the thread to do it on.

If you don't want my posts, that's totally fine. Because there appear to be reading comprehension issues, so I will be off now, toodle ooo and all that.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I wasn't suggesting you use them, I was discussing what I use. The only thing I think I directed your way was yeah phones are great but often the data limits can suck.

The Jetpack is set up as an "internet hub" which makes it a TON easier to write my notes, because my work really frowns on hot spots. That is why I have it. Most of my internet time I use my phone, as a hot spot because yes, it is basically the same... Except it IS NOT.

I don't quite get where I suggested you use ANY of these things. I was talking about why *I* use and why and this seemed to be the thread to do it on.

If you don't want my posts, that's totally fine. Because there appear to be reading comprehension issues, so I will be off now, toodle ooo and all that.

Anna
Don't be paranoid, I just volunteered the info even though you didn't ask me to. You're right that the data limits suck, but it's only intended for occasional, emergency use like yesterday. And it's easy to buy a few more GBs.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think you know where I live. Electronics of any sort can be a PITA and to be frank it's actually cheaper, you get more data, and more reliability out of cellular phones. If you saw the cost and amount of data you can GET where I live, I think you might understand. We are BY CHOICE using cellular data and it's annoying.

I live where you can see the fence. There is nothing here, it's a tiny town, and well *I* rather love it but it comes with some modern inconveniences.

It may be no big deal for YOU to buy some more data here and there, but until we engineered the right plan it WAS a HUGE deal actually.

I agree that we have different uses and I'm sorry I started this conversation really but do understand that we use NOTHIGN but our cellular plans and devices and it gets obnoxiously complicated at times.

I'm glad you can float like a feather when the power goes out on your internet phone. We probably need to buy a generator NOW, and then move it when we buy land father out.
Anna

Reactions: CMD-Ky

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I don't think you know where I live. Electronics of any sort can be a PITA and to be frank it's actually cheaper, you get more data, and more reliability out of cellular phones. If you saw the cost and amount of data you can GET where I live, I think you might understand. We are BY CHOICE using cellular data and it's annoying.

I live where you can see the fence. There is nothing here, it's a tiny town, and well *I* rather love it but it comes with some modern inconveniences.

It may be no big deal for YOU to buy some more data here and there, but until we engineered the right plan it WAS a HUGE deal actually.

I agree that we have different uses and I'm sorry I started this conversation really but do understand that we use NOTHIGN but our cellular plans and devices and it gets obnoxiously complicated at times.

I'm glad you can float like a feather when the power goes out on your internet phone. We probably need to buy a generator NOW, and then move it when we buy land father out.
Anna
I'm not even sure what you took offense at. For saying that I had no use for cable? I don't know why, because you didn't want it either. I'm not criticizing your use of the Jetpack, either. If that's your main access, it makes sense to have the cellphone plan for it. For me, the cell phone is a backup access, and it makes sense to keep it as cheap as possible. Speaking of which, TDS flopped for a few minutes tonight, but came while I was waiting on hold to notify them. (Actually it's on lines leased from AT&T and maintained by them.)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Im using StraightTalk. 55 dollars a month for unlimited data and phone. Ive got a cheap samsung luna j3 and this phone, though cheap, works exactly like the samsung s series phones, just a tiny bit smaller.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Wednesday, my telephone went on the blink, voice this time. The "in use" light kept blinking. Couldn't get a dial phone or call it on my cell. Right before Thanksgiving, so they couldn't get to it until Friday. At least the DSL was ok. Friday, the guy from AT&T got here and then the DSL was down too while he worked on it. (I'm glad it turned out to be something outside and not something I screwed up.) Tether to the rescue again! I kept myself happily entertained on the interwebs as usual, until I was startled by the telephone ringing and the guy telling me it was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread