My manual batt is my atomizer cleaner. Duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
This will undoubtedly sound "Duh" to all who use manual batts but I just revived 4 attys I thought had pretty well died and gone to atty heaven.
I've always used auto batts on my M-series but picked up a couple manual batts a few weeks ago to try.
I've read posts telling someone to try a manual batt on a "bad" atty but it never applied to me so I guess I didn't really pay too much attention. While killing time at the computer I remembered that advice and hooked up the attys, one by one, to one of my manual batts and gave each one a nice slow burn. The smoked. They glowed.
VOILA! Four out of six are back in circulation.
Guess it just takes some of us a little longer to get smart. I also posted with this title so maybe a noob (or a six-monther like me) might see it's a good idea to have one or two manual batts around.

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
A bad atty is going to be one of 3 problems. It will be (1) meter reads infinity. It has an open coil. Nothing short of being able to replace the coil will bring it back to life. (2) High ohm reading on the meter. An atty is designed to read about 2.5 ohms if it uses a 3.7 volt battery. Any reading higher than 2.5 ohms leads to reduced performance of the atty up to a point where the atty ceases to perform. Increasing the voltage supply will cause the atty to perform again albeit for a short period probably. The increased resistance is probably due to a buildup of crud on the heating element and sometimes the element only has continuity through the crud (the element is already burned open). I would be interested to know if your burn of the atty actually caused the atty resistance to decrease back to 2.5 ohms. (3) The atty airway is plugged. This is the repairable problem with cleaning. I have never had it happen but I see people post about it.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
searcher provides among the best explanations of the life of an atomizer. In the 'old days', manufacturers programmed in a 'burn' cycle into the e-cig system. After a predetermined number of puffs, the battery would stay on for a predetermined period of time to burn off deposits on the heating coil. A year ago, many forum members were touting this as a horrible thing that would surely kill an atomizer and recommended disconnecting the battery from the atomizer to cancel out the 'dry burn'.

Fast forward 12 months and we find that this burning cycle is, in fact, beneficial to the exteded life of an atomizer. How much longer can an atomizer last if periodically dry burned? No one knows for sure, but forum member experiences are indicating a burn off of heating coil deposits are a good thing. Funny how we thought that was not true last year.

While I do not normally use or recommend any of the many liquid cleaning procedures, a periodic burn of of the atomizer heating coil is not bad.

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
In the 'old days', manufacturers programmed in a 'burn' cycle into the e-cig system. After a predetermined number of puffs, the battery would stay on for a predetermined period of time to burn off deposits on the heating coil.

I am not a big believer that a dry burn can bring back an atty that is seriously out of tolerance (well above 2.5 ohms). It might be made to function somewhat but I have tried on a few and not saw any change in the reading. I find that when an atty reaches 3.4 ohms or higher it no longer satisfies me. Now, what do you think about a dry burn maintenance on a good atty? How often (maybe once a day after blowing out)? How long in seconds? I may sacrifice an atty (hopefully not) and try this method. I don't usually do any cleaning other than a good blowout and drain overnight. How many puffs were the originals programed for before the dry burn?

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
I probably sound like a broken record to some members here, but I do a dry burn on each of the three 510 atomizers I use in rotation every 6-8 days (doing a dry burn on the atomizer being cleaned, with one in use and one cleaned and ready).

This is after cleaning using my preferred method and letting the atomizer dry out for a day or two (depending on humidity). I also do another clean cycle after the dry burn to remove the burnt flavor they get when dry burned.

Two atomizers at nearing 5 months old, the third I added to my "cycle" only two months ago. I haven't lost one yet, they all vape like new and no black/brown crust is visible in what I can see of the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread