My Nic Juice Storage Plan, Need Input & Suggestions & Hi-Level Math!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm storing/freezing nic juice this weekend. The supplies are enroute and I need some input as to the best way to accomplishment my goals. Storage space is not an issue as I have a second freezer in the shop.

Liquid Supplies:

2000 ml 100mg Nic juice (PG) (67 oz.)
3785 ml VG (4-1 qt bottles) (128 oz.)

Jars:

12 ea. - 16oz Mason jars w/ rings & lids (capacity 192 oz./5678 ml)

I want to make up 16 ounce jars of a pre-mix nic juice, so we can grab one as needed.

Currently we use a pre-made 75% PG / 25% VG base w/ 48mg nic. I was thinking of making up a 75% PG / 25% VG base with 24mg nic as a base. The calculations are confusing, as I didn't buy any PG. I thought I didn't need any, but I guess I do.

To make up a 1000 ml batch of 75 PG/ 25 VG w/ 24mg PG nic juice I need the following:

240 ml PG Nic Juice
510 ml PG
250 ml VG

Does this look correct?

I also thought of just adding an equal amount of VG to the PG nic juice to make a 50/50 mix of juice @ 50mg. We've never used a 50/50 mix before, although I know a lot people do like higher VG as opposed to PG.

Any thoughts, help, or suggestions is appreciated.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
That's a lot of base
I don't see why mason jars in the freezer wouldn't work.

If you're using 48mg now, are you sure you want to mix up that much 24mg?

Calculations correct.
BASE:
1000mL * 24mg/mL = 24000 mg total nic
24,000mG / 100mg/mL = 240 mL base
PG:
0.75 * 1000mL = 750mL
750mL - 240mL = 510mL PG
VG:
0.25 * 1000mL = 250mL VG

You don't have to mix it all at once, you may change your mind about the mixture.
Just label the jars well.

For simplicity, you could use:
1 part base
1 part VG
2 parts PG
= 75%PG 25mg/mL

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
That's a lot of base
I don't see why mason jars in the freezer wouldn't work.

If you're using 48mg now, are you sure you want to mix up that much 24mg?

Calculations correct.
BASE:
1000mL * 24mg/mL = 24000 mg total nic
24,000mG / 100mg/mL = 240 mL base
PG:
0.75 * 1000mL = 750mL
750mL - 240mL = 510mL PG
VG:
0.25 * 1000mL = 250mL VG

You don't have to mix it all at once, you may change your mind about the mixture.
Just label the jars well.

For simplicity, you could use:
1 part base
1 part VG
2 parts PG
= 75%PG 25mg/mL

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just a bit paranoid that our government might do something stupid. I smoked for a very long time and don't want to get caught without any nicotine.

D0lfin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2011
Vancouver WA
I'm just a bit paranoid that our government might do something stupid. I smoked for a very long time and don't want to get caught without any nicotine.

Hi, Knurled :) I see you're fairly new to the forum, so welcome! You came to the right place - there are lots of helpful people with lots of great info here.

About your nicotine situation, I'd suggest just storing the nic in the freezer undiluted in the bottles it came in if they're not plastic, or in your mason jars if they are. I second DKP's suggestion to label very well! Going by your post, it doesn't sound like you are sure of your happy place for the PG/VG ratio, so if it were me, I would play around with that before doing anything to your whole supply and give it some time (a couple months at least) to make sure you have truly found the right mix - sometimes something seems great at first, but not so much later. Maybe you've experienced this with juice - I know I have!!!

Also, if you're new to DIY, you want to make sure you're leaving "room" for flavorings in your nic level. I didn't see what level you're vaping at in your post, but a lot of people, including me, started out at 24mg. If you're looking to dilute the nic to 24mg, adding 10% flavor to it would take it down to somewhere around 15.5 to 16mg (I think, not sure I'm using my juice calculator right to figure this out, it's a weird calculation, but it would definitely be below 24). Some flavors could need more than 10%, which would lower it even more.

Anyway, just my :2c:, take it for what it's worth :)

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
i did about 3 days worth of research about 1 1/2yrs ago b4 i started my DIY / stock up / dooms day FDA .....and what i came up with was cobalt blue boston round bottles with poly cone lid they will keep out moisture also when you take one out of the freezer set it on the counter Do Not Open till it comes to room temp you dont want condensation forming on the inside of your nic and i would only freeze straight nic i would not pre mix , i chose the cobalt blue to keep out as much light as possible while using up that bottle , i freeze 16 oz bottles and pour them into 2oz bottles i mix my juice at 6mg of nic so smaller bottles works for my mixing days , so i just keep out 2 small bottles and put the rest back i have noticed even after a year in the freezer my nic is still clear but if one of my small bottles stays out 3-4 months they will turn amber which is still good nic but i like clear , fill bottles up with little to no air nic will not freeze till some crazy temp -48 degrees so your bottles wont be bustin any time soon let me know if you need anything else ...oh i get my bottles from Sunburst Bottle they are the only ones that dont charge you insane price to ship or make you order a case but my first order i did get 3 cases, 1 blue=nic
1 brown=pg , 1 clear=vg

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I would not use Mason/canning jars with bands and flat lids - they are not completely airtight (unless "sealed" by heating & cooling by typical canning methods)!

I would jar/freeze my nic-liquid and the vg/pg separately. Your preferences WILL (almost assuredly) change over the months & years.

I would definitely NOT mix them together in large batches, until after I'd mixed small batches and vaped/tested them! If there is something wrong/odd with any of the three, you'll ruin EVERYTHING by mixing them together!

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
Again, thanks for the replies. I know my ramblings sounds confusing.

When mixing juice we start with a 24mg 75/25 base mix. Our final concentration is 18mg nic. We bought the 48mg nic base juice to save money, but will convert it down to our 24mg base. We have found it easier to start at this base and work our way down to what we need. Occasionally we make juice for family as well.

We have no problems sealing Mason jars, they can be vacuum sealed, which we do for dehydrated/freeze dried foods.

yellowsnow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
New Mexico
I basically did the same process but I used amber bottles. I bubble wrapped the bottles and then put them in a food saver bag like Foodsaver® GameSaver® Sport Vacuum Packaging System by Tilia® | Bass Pro Shops.

i did about 3 days worth of research about 1 1/2yrs ago b4 i started my DIY / stock up / dooms day FDA .....and what i came up with was cobalt blue boston round bottles with poly cone lid they will keep out moisture also when you take one out of the freezer set it on the counter Do Not Open till it comes to room temp you dont want condensation forming on the inside of your nic and i would only freeze straight nic i would not pre mix , i chose the cobalt blue to keep out as much light as possible while using up that bottle , i freeze 16 oz bottles and pour them into 2oz bottles i mix my juice at 6mg of nic so smaller bottles works for my mixing days , so i just keep out 2 small bottles and put the rest back i have noticed even after a year in the freezer my nic is still clear but if one of my small bottles stays out 3-4 months they will turn amber which is still good nic but i like clear , fill bottles up with little to no air nic will not freeze till some crazy temp -48 degrees so your bottles wont be bustin any time soon let me know if you need anything else ...oh i get my bottles from Sunburst Bottle they are the only ones that dont charge you insane price to ship or make you order a case but my first order i did get 3 cases, 1 blue=nic
1 brown=pg , 1 clear=vg

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
If you make a base of 65PG / 35VG and 24mg then adding 10% flavoring does not really change it that much.

Your 24 mg Nic is only reduced by 10% so 24 minus 2.4 = 21.6 or 24 X .9 = 21.6

If the flavoring is PG based as many are the PG goes up less than 10% and thus the VG goes down less than 10%.

To keep things simple I make a 180 ml (6 oz) 60 PG / 40 VG 18mg. base which I keep in the same area as my mixed juices and routinely use this to mix. 5 ml. test batches and 15 to 30 ml. proven batches.

IMO some worry to much about keeping the nic at a certain mininum level. How many paced their tobacco intake to try and be sure they received X amou of nicotine per hour or time period? Many who have been vaping for months or longer vape higher nic levels during the day when vaping breaks are limited and then vape lower nic levels at home when trheyt tend to chain vape because they really enjoy the flavor(s).

A good ejuice calacuator can be yourbest friend and learning how to add PG / VG to reduce nic level or how to add Nic in a PG/VG blend with a highe than your normal Nic level can make life so much simpier.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
We have no problems sealing Mason jars, they can be vacuum sealed, which we do for dehydrated/freeze dried foods.

If you've got a way to vaccum seal canning jars (without using the 'canning method'/heat), then cool deal! We've tried several methods, and never had complete success. If you have the time, would you mind telling us how you do it?

'Just so everyone knows, typical canning jars/lids/bands (no matter how air-tight they may seem), are not air-tight until they are sealed.

KnurledNut

Moved On
Aug 15, 2013
Marineland
If you've got a way to vacuum seal canning jars (without using the 'canning method'/heat), then cool deal! We've tried several methods, and never had complete success. If you have the time, would you mind telling us how you do it?

'Just so everyone knows, typical canning jars/lids/bands (no matter how air-tight they may seem), are not air-tight until they are sealed.

Food Saver makes a jar sealer for wide and regular mouth jars.

jar-sealer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread