My OKR-T/6 mod in an Altoids tin

Status
Not open for further replies.

snackadmiral

Nov 14, 2011
usa
My main mod wasn't exactly portable, so I set out to get something powerful, variable, and pocket-sized.

I made a little circuit board that holds the pieces of a basic OKR mod and fits next to batteries in an Altoids tin:
tinboostv1-board.jpg

Just an OKR-T/6, a pot to adjust the output voltage, a trigger, a master OFF switch, caps, and a couple of resistors. The schematic & board layout are free for anyone to use, just ask me. I'll stick them up on github sometime soon anyway.

Here it is soldered up and working
tinboost-v1-proto.jpg

Some pretty rough cuts on the tin, I'm just testing the thing before doing a nice one.

Not shown:
* The trigger lights up when you press it.
* There's a DC barrel jack at the bottom for charging.
* I measured output voltages and marked them on the lid around the knob, so I don't need a display. It goes from exactly 3.5V to 6.0V.

The batteries are two matched li-ion 18650 with a little PCB in the wrapper to prevent overcharge/underdischarge plus a 7A polyswitch. They can deliver 7A without breaking a sweat but they will never need to go above about 4A. This means there's effectively *zero* voltage sag when loaded; If it reads 6V unloaded, it will actually deliver 6V into 1.5ohms and destroy your carto/atty. The matched batteries also means I can charge them as a pair without removing them from the tin, and I can vape while charging.

Been using it exclusively for about a month now and I'm totally happy with it. Lasts about three days of heavy vaping at ~4V and hits hard until it quits.

icky

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
United States
This is a really nice piece, do you have any more? I have been looking at making a okr mod as my first mod and did not want to use globs of ugly hot glue. If you don't, I know nothing about getting pcb printed and what companies are good; I would donate to get some more printed because i want several for family members that want to quit. Perfect holiday gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread