My story

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBojangles94549

Jul 22, 2019
Hello all I'm Mr. Bojangles,and here is a little bit about myself, my vaping, and why this hobby is important to me. I started vaping as a means to quit cigarettes around 2012. I did so successfully, and after 6 months lost interest and moved on, but this wouldn't be my only run in with addiction.

Over the next several years I went through a lot of stress, and developed severe alcoholism that threatened my life and personal relationships. This came to a head on 2/22/19 when during weeks of slowly lowering my alcohol consumption without the guidance of a doctor, the lack of alcohol caused me to have a seizure in my bathroom, injuring my back in the process. During the resulting hospital visit my doctor convinced me to seek inpatient detox treatment and finally break my addiction.

The next month was a struggle, and searching for anything acceptable to lean on, at the suggestiont of a close friend who was also in recovery, I picked up a pack of pods for my girlfriends discarded Juul and took up vaping once again in the hopes that it would help me with yet another harmful addiction, I never could have imagined how much help it would be.

Vaping gave me a reason to get outside, even if just to my front porch, as my pet rats are sensitive to anything in the air, and later on short trips to my mediocre small town Kansas vape shop.
I would never suggest to most people to choose to get into nicotine products, but for me, having a substance that I could use without fear of destroying my life was massively helpful. I had distanced myself from get togethers with friends because of the overwhelming drinking culture in the midwest and the threat of temptation. I found that as long as I had my vape to enjoy, I didnt miss having a beer in my hand, I didnt feel so out of place anymore and vaping also provided a number of convenient excuses to excuse myself if the pressure became too much.

Quiting drinking left me with as many holes to fill as scars on my liver, and I found myself with much more time, money, and energy and energy to spend. Making craft cocktails had always been a passion of mine, and I enjoyed the positive attention that came with sharing what I made, as well as the multitude of flavor and ingredient combinations involved. I found these interests renewed by diving into e liquid and spreading my interest in vaping successfully with many of my friends.

I had been going to school for automotive management and had always been interested in electronics, so my interest in vaping bloomed and I upgraded first to a smok nord, and then about two weeks ago I rewarded myself with a dotmod dot aio for successfully making it back to my home state of California and to celebrate the nearing 6 month anniversary of my sobriety.

Friday I visited one of my good friends, for the first time in years in person, with the very same friend that got me back into vaping. I tried out his 200w sub ohm set up, and he convinced me to give freebase liquids and sub ohm coils a shot, as I had been a salt nic user up until that point. We were able to connect in the same way we did years earlier over a craft beer or cocktail but without the worry or guilt. I felt like things were going to be ok again, and that I wasnt going to have to live life like I was missing out on the party. Because the monkey that was on my back was always waiting for me to slip up. That monkey is still around, but I can put him in a cage now, where he wont really bother me or anyone else.

Thanks for reading my story, I know it was a long one. I like to think I am a pretty open book these days, it has helped me a lot to figure things out, and I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.

~Jangles, Mr. B, BJ, or dude; if you're into the whole brevity thing.

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nor'Eastern PA
mjHJuAF.png

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi and welcome!

What a great story, got me a bit misty there.

I have a lot of respect for people who can save themselves from alcohol addiction. I mean, all addictions are hard, but alcohol is the most socially acceptable one. It’s everywhere. There’s nowhere to hide.

We have a very lively diy community here, please dive in! I’ve been diy for 5.5 years and the gang is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Welcome Aboard.

Truly inspiring and worth everyone's time to read, I'm glad your still around and came here to tell your story.

I have been through a similar things but with my kids. It was an enlightening experience, to say the least, you and they are the light at the end of the tunnel for anyone that's going through similar circumstances.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Quiting drinking left me with as many holes to fill as scars on my liver, and I found myself with much more time, money, and energy and energy to spend.
I've been there. Drinking too much stunts the ability to enjoy the little things in life by raising the sensitivity threshold too high. I used to go through each day on autopilot looking forward to the end when could start drinking again. Now I can enjoy the whole day and I have an abundance of time and energy available to devote to work, relationships, and hobbies. I feel like I've matured more in the five years since quitting than I did in the ten years preceding that.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello, Mr. Bojangles. Congratulations on your sobriety and kicking the cigarettes to the curb. When I was in the Navy, I managed to survive inpatient recovery. I hate to think of what would have happened to my life had I not sought the treatment. I wasn't able to give up the cigarettes until a little over 4 years ago. Keep up the good work and if you have any questions just ask and I'm sure others will get back to you with what you need.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Hello all I'm Mr. Bojangles,and here is a little bit about myself, my vaping, and why this hobby is important to me. I started vaping as a means to quit cigarettes around 2012. I did so successfully, and after 6 months lost interest and moved on, but this wouldn't be my only run in with addiction.

Over the next several years I went through a lot of stress, and developed severe alcoholism that threatened my life and personal relationships. This came to a head on 2/22/19 when during weeks of slowly lowering my alcohol consumption without the guidance of a doctor, the lack of alcohol caused me to have a seizure in my bathroom, injuring my back in the process. During the resulting hospital visit my doctor convinced me to seek inpatient detox treatment and finally break my addiction.

The next month was a struggle, and searching for anything acceptable to lean on, at the suggestiont of a close friend who was also in recovery, I picked up a pack of pods for my girlfriends discarded Juul and took up vaping once again in the hopes that it would help me with yet another harmful addiction, I never could have imagined how much help it would be.

Vaping gave me a reason to get outside, even if just to my front porch, as my pet rats are sensitive to anything in the air, and later on short trips to my mediocre small town Kansas vape shop.
I would never suggest to most people to choose to get into nicotine products, but for me, having a substance that I could use without fear of destroying my life was massively helpful. I had distanced myself from get togethers with friends because of the overwhelming drinking culture in the midwest and the threat of temptation. I found that as long as I had my vape to enjoy, I didnt miss having a beer in my hand, I didnt feel so out of place anymore and vaping also provided a number of convenient excuses to excuse myself if the pressure became too much.

Quiting drinking left me with as many holes to fill as scars on my liver, and I found myself with much more time, money, and energy and energy to spend. Making craft cocktails had always been a passion of mine, and I enjoyed the positive attention that came with sharing what I made, as well as the multitude of flavor and ingredient combinations involved. I found these interests renewed by diving into e liquid and spreading my interest in vaping successfully with many of my friends.

I had been going to school for automotive management and had always been interested in electronics, so my interest in vaping bloomed and I upgraded first to a smok nord, and then about two weeks ago I rewarded myself with a dotmod dot aio for successfully making it back to my home state of California and to celebrate the nearing 6 month anniversary of my sobriety.

Friday I visited one of my good friends, for the first time in years in person, with the very same friend that got me back into vaping. I tried out his 200w sub ohm set up, and he convinced me to give freebase liquids and sub ohm coils a shot, as I had been a salt nic user up until that point. We were able to connect in the same way we did years earlier over a craft beer or cocktail but without the worry or guilt. I felt like things were going to be ok again, and that I wasnt going to have to live life like I was missing out on the party. Because the monkey that was on my back was always waiting for me to slip up. That monkey is still around, but I can put him in a cage now, where he wont really bother me or anyone else.

Thanks for reading my story, I know it was a long one. I like to think I am a pretty open book these days, it has helped me a lot to figure things out, and I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.

~Jangles, Mr. B, BJ, or dude; if you're into the whole brevity thing.

Awesome dude :thumb:

Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Possum64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread