My Subtank is really starting to taste BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
I'm using a Subtank Nano on the KBOX. Should be absolutely no problems.

But my coils (both the 0.5 and 1.0) are tasting awful. I prime them great, I make sure everythings good and secure, and I'm using a 75%-ish VG juice.

But I can't go above 20 watts with two new packs of coils I have, and especially on the 1.0 coils, that's ridiculous. I'll get a vaporized rubber taste that tastes like the worst clearomizer coil I've ever come across.

Dry cotton should just have sort of a cottony, almost doggy or smokey taste. But this is a pure rubbery flavor. Are the gromets going to crap? These things should be built for Sub-Ohm vaping!

I have no clue what's wrong but I can't use this thing anymore.

I'm also getting more juice in my mouth than I would if I drank it. These coils have started to spit and spew like nothing I've seen. I've used these coils for months and could always go up to 30 watts, no issues!

miro011

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Canada
k , tell me if you have that o-ring on the airflow base , it is transparent , the 2nd piece in this picture , do you have that o-ring ?

2106400-3.jpg

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
because I have the mini , same happend to me until I realized that I am missing this o-ring , the absence of that o-ring can ruin your tank

See that black o-ring ?
Aside from mechanical damage or leaking, not having that ring wouldnt ruin the tank. That ring should not change the taste of the vapor in any way. It's just a seal.

If OP's tank worked fine before, but went to hell with a new pack of coils, I would first suspect knock-off coils. They're hard to identify, but generally perform like crap due to sub-standard materials and cleaning. Pick up some authentics from a trusted source and see if the problem goes away. Until you get a chance to, I'd inspect the grommets on a used "bad" coil for charring/burning/melting, and give the contacts and threads of the AFC a good cleaning with alcohol and inspect for any oxidization/discoloration.

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
The 1.0 ones I'm talking about are 1.2 but I just called them that... I just checked and these are the real deal. I've cleaned everything up and I have no clue. At 25 watts, this 1.2 coil about made me puke. It's horrible, tastes like burning rubber. I'm using Charlie Noble's Custard. It's thick but anything thinner is a sheer mouthful of juice.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
The 1.0 ones I'm talking about are 1.2 but I just called them that... I just checked and these are the real deal. I've cleaned everything up and I have no clue. At 25 watts, this 1.2 coil about made me puke. It's horrible, tastes like burning rubber. I'm using Charlie Noble's Custard. It's thick but anything thinner is a sheer mouthful of juice.
Call me crazy, but the burnt rubber taste might be from..... burnt rubber. Check all your seals, then change em anyway and clean the tank really really well. Get a new pack of coils maybe. They should have an authenticity sticker on em. Check with your retailer for a refund if possible.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They've gone through a few different types of insulators on the rebuildable section for similar issues. I've noticed the OCC coils have changed insulators as well. Maybe you found some old stock, most of mine have been red for the last couple of months, before that there was white and I think I've seen black too but I can't find one in my bowl of used coils right now.

Reactions: yuseffuhler

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
I've had some issues with rubbery tasting OCC coils. They were the ones with the white insulator. Not burnt rubber, just rubber. I've had OCC coils with red insulators lately and there has been no rubber taste.

There was another thread that discussed that the coils with white insulators are an older version (red being newer, but not sure if newest).

I've had poor flavour from these OCC coils for a good while now though. Looking forward to trying the BVC OCC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread