The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My teeth hurt

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by atsirk, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. atsirk

atsirk Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    I'm about 6 weeks in, and yesterday my teeth started hurting - feels like the days after I got my braces tightened as a kid. Could this be vape related? Advil is my friend...

2. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Are you trying to carry a 510, or cig sized pv around by holding it in your teeth? It made mine sore lol.

3. atsirk

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    I'm using a Riva - I don't hold it with my teeth. I should say that it's on the side I usually vape on. Trying to remember to switch sides...

4. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Haven't heard the teeth thing before ??? What nic are you vaping at?

5. IrishGirl

IrishGirl Full Member

Oct 29, 2010
    El Paso
    Haven't ever heard this mentioned. With all the sweet stuff I vape, I would think it would be a problem for me since just sucking on cough drops make my teeth hurt. I don't know if it would help, but maybe try swishing some Biotene. It's basically a mouth moisturizer and since vaping is dehydrating it might help.

6. atsirk

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    12mg nic, usually a 50/50 mix. I'm a chain-vaper, it rarely leaves my hand (from what I read here, that will slow down).

7. atsirk

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    Maybe I just need to go to the dentist lol.

8. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Maybe. Or your juice may be irritating your gums, maybe a trip to the dentist isn't a bad idea. Keep us posted.

9. Liv2Ski

Liv2Ski Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    Since you say you are not holding it with your teeth then yes a trip to the dentist sounds like your best bet. I know the cause of my teeth hurting when I started out was due to biting down on a metal cartomizer while trying to hold the damned thing in my mouth. Now with a pretty hefty MOD I do not have the urge to have it hanging from my mouth!

10. Vi7o

Vi7o Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Sofia
    I've heard that ppl who smoke 36mg nic have teeth and gums problems... but may be that's not your case. Or may be you vape too much?

11. Sainted_S

Sainted_S Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Nether Iceland of NWPA
    Your teeth can also hurt just because of quitting analogs. Smoking analogs toughens your gums and it is normal for your mouth to be more sensitive after quitting analogs. Remember to keep hydrated, I've been doing a bad job of it myself, but last week I had terrible muscle pain, after forcing half a gallon of water (at least) down my throat, the muscle soreness is gone.

12. kellogg

kellogg Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 1, 2010
    houston tx
    I had that as well. Others have said that after you quit smoking or cut way down suddenly, your circulation increases. Meaning more blood is circulating in your gums. The pain went away in a few days.

Oh, and I have gone to the dentist after I started vaping - no problems.

13. atsirk

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the dentist is for now - just got laid off Friday, & no dental insurance. Hopefully it'll be better quickly - I like the idea that it may be because I'm healing from the analogs :)

14. Paisley

Paisley Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Florida
    Might be a jaw muscle issue if you are drawing on your ecig like an analog. I actually had a problem like that during the first month of vaping because when I was drawing I was pulling my lower jaw down attempting to get a long drag into my mouth. It felt like I needed a root canal on all my lower teeth on the right side. I started not moving my lower jaw and sometimes if I felt the need for a really big drag I would take two shorter drags and then exhale. After a few days the muscles relaxed and the pain went away. I notice I still start to lower my jaw but find it is when my battery is almost dead or I need to top off my juice.
    Never hurts to go to the dentist though.

15. atsirk

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    You know - this sounds like it might just be it - thanks for the post! I'm going to try not lowering my jaw...

...tried it - wow that's hard to do, talking a hit w/o using jaw. Much practice in my future...

16. closetsmokr

closetsmokr Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Hi! From personal experience, I can tell you that grinding your teeth can cause your teeth to hurt. I have a night guard that my dentist had made for me, and helps. But, stress, nightmares, illness, withdrawal, etc can increase the duration and amount of force you exert while grinding your teeth, leading to pain, sensitivity, and TMJ. Also, this can lead to headaches, soreness in the neck, and tooth breakage. If you can't go to a dentist, you might want to at least try a "cheaper" version of a personalized night guard. They run about $20 at walmart, walgreen, cvs, etc. Good luck!

17. proudlion

proudlion Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Winter Haven, FL
    OP - I don't know if you're using carts or cartos - but you might consider the whistle tip cartridges rather than the round ones ...

[​IMG]

18. trouble2k

trouble2k Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2010
    Billings, MT
    closetsmokr might be on to something. I just had a few visits to the dentist because now that I am able to breathe through my nose after all of these years, I found out I also have been clenching and grinding my teeth at night. I had no idea that I had that tendency since I always had to breathe through my mouth.

19. Paisley

Paisley Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Florida
    Yea, it took some practice to get used to it. Rubing the jawbone with ice seems to help numb the nerves that are sending the pain message.

You might be under a little extra stress from just getting laid off and clinching or grinding your teeth too, just something you might want to be mindful of.

20. StormFinch

StormFinch Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2010
    Arkansas
    This. Not only does smoking lessen circulation but also harms the nerves. Buy yourself some toothpaste for sensitive teeth and some Biotine dry mouth mouthwash. Since PG and VG are drying, the Biotine will help even after the pain goes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.