My USB rechargeable NicoStick

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervex

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Southfield, MI
WOW

It seem to take forever packing all this into one AA box but it is done!!!

My usb rechargeable NicoStick:

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

Next week I will be building the Touch Sensor usb rechargeable NicoStick.

Cheers

cybervex

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Southfield, MI
No pass though yet...Pass though was not really all the important to me as I do not vape in the house. I vape like I used to smoke, never in the car, house, or at work.

I plan to add the ability to use as a pass though. This has really sparked an interest in electronics.

When my parts order comes in I will be stream lining the design. It will be nice when I add the touch sensor and do not have the switch taking up so much space. I may move to a micro usb also.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Great, I have to say again great job. It thrills me that people are really starting to hit this hard. I do what I can but it gets difficult for me to concentrate for extended periods of time. Schizophrenia is a harsh mistress. I think I'll leave it to everyone else. For now I'm going to try to spend some time working on the juice delivery/crappy cart problem.

cybervex

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Southfield, MI
I did go with the max1811 and set for 4.2v and 500mA.

Soldering the board sucked. The engineers at work told about some paste I could use and the stick them in the over at 450 and the chip would self center do to the surface tension when the paste become liquid.

a2dcovert - Got the charge chip from maxim-ic.com part max1811

This has come to be a little hobby as I did not want to pay $140 for something like a prodigy...Which is just a case, battery, and switch. Not worth it in my opinion...JUST MY OPINION...I am sure it is a fine product

Dale.s

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
few questions for you, how long does that battery last with your mod? (4-5 hours?), did you get the usb passthrough working? You said you custom made your own pcb, would be interested in suppling these to people wanting to make your mod? When will you have instructions posted so we can all make one too!! - Im going to be working on my first one here in the next few days, really want to add usb charging and passthrough!

cybervex

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Southfield, MI
My battery usually last the whole day. I says usually some days I will charge after I return home from work. As long as there is a battery in the box it will function at full strength however it does not function as a passthough without the battery.

It will be awhile before I have instructions as it is a long process. Maybe after I add the touch sensor.

Here is a pic of two boards that need to be cut out. I decided to change the location of the usb on these two. I thought I would like to have the usb come out the end. Made two at once just in case one does not work out.

IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

few questions for you, how long does that battery last with your mod? (4-5 hours?), did you get the usb passthrough working? You said you custom made your own pcb, would be interested in suppling these to people wanting to make your mod? When will you have instructions posted so we can all make one too!! - Im going to be working on my first one here in the next few days, really want to add usb charging and passthrough!

Dale.s

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
i was looking around at various battery types doing my pre-build research. Now i know nothing about lithium batterys, but i found this and though it might be interesting for this build. Whatcha think? Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 1050mAh (553562-10C) 3.8Wh, 10A Rate - Replacing 18650 cell at Hi Drain rate

I _think_ it will fit in your box, and since its so thin you would be have more room for all the rest of electronics. It does say 10A high drain rate, im hoping thats MAX and not what would accually go through the atty, that could be a problem.

cybervex

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Southfield, MI
That battery is as wide as the AA battery box. And its $10 without a protection circuit.

I like to keep all of the circuitry on one side of the battery box which is 14 mm. My current board is 13mm x 22mm. When I add on the mosfet for touch operation it will be approx 10mm longer. I think I can make it even smaller than it is now by using 0805 package capacitors and resistors instead of the 1206 package I am currently using. I am going to shoot for 10mm x 25mm so I can try making a usb rechargeable AAA mod

i was looking arouactile or tond at various battery types doing my pre-build research. Now i know nothing about lithium batterys, but i found this and though it might be interesting for this build. Whatcha think? Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 1050mAh (553562-10C) 3.8Wh, 10A Rate - Replacing 18650 cell at Hi Drain rate

I _think_ it will fit in your box, and since its so thin you would be have more room for all the rest of electronics. It does say 10A high drain rate, im hoping thats MAX and not what would accually go through the atty, that could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread