My vape shop doesn’t carry cotton anymore!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4tn

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Just made a run to my local vape shop because I was out of cotton. I picked up some juice and when I asked for cotton they said they didn’t have any. He gave me a small piece they had left over to get me through the night and said they will no longer be getting cotton because they are moving to pods and nic salts. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I like my RTA I have been using the same one for a few years now. It’s a dual coil that I vape 12-18 nic juice at 40 watts and get the perfect for me throat hit and flavor. I also like that I can rebuild it when needed to keep costs down. I don’t like buying replacement heads. The guys said the pods have more nic with less throat hit, Like that’s a good thing. I like the throat hit lol. Do I need to retire my RTA and start looking for a pod system? Or is my shop just crap?

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Yes. Your vape shop is crap. lol.

Not sure if you found your sweet spot with a particular cotton, but in the meantime, you can run over to Walgreens and get a bag of their organic cotton balls.

IMG_0807.JPG

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Sounds like your vape shop is not going to be servicing your market segment any more. Cotton is at least easy. Every drug store just about sells organic cotton balls. Remember there actually rolls so it’s basically the same stuff as cotton bacon. It just comes in little pieces you have to unroll

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Pods are the latest fad, but I think there's a strong enough base using RTAs/RDAs that the products we need won't disappear overall.

The most popular brands of cosmetic cotton are Japanese. There's Koh Gen Do cotton sheets and Muji facial cotton. I've used both myself. They're easy to find on Amazon.

Back in the days when using cotton balls was more common, there were some concerns about how they were treated. I think the usual procedure was to boil them for a bit and let the cotton dry before using them to (hopefully) get rid of any bleach or other chemical treatments. Koh Gen Do is unbleached. I'm not sure about Muji.

• Agree
    Reactions: Diver9543

Vandal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2009
    NE Ohio

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    Your vape store is a business. They can make nice profits on pods, especially since it's be a recurring purchase.
    I'll guess they don't sell liters of pg, vg, or mixing supplies. They would rather you not mix your own for under $2 per 30ml, and instead buy premade juice from them for 10 to 15.
    I know there are exceptions out there, but my local vape shops don't have saving you money in their best interest, nor in their business model. Good luck to them.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    Koh Gen Do is the cotton pads I use. I ordered them online, however, I can't think of where I bought them online. You may also need to think of a vendor for your wire. I use Temco for my SS316L. I wound up buying from Temco when my local shops wanted to charge up to $1.00 per foot. I was able to a 250 ft roll of SS317L for under $10.00 and I think free shipping.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Shops that do sell cotton pretty much go with stuff to cater to the vape market like Cotton Bacon, or now the prefluffed cotton with little aglets on the ends to run through the coil. The markup on them is huge considering you can get a bag of KGD cotton on Amazon for ~$10 which will last you over a year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread