My vaping journey – Lessons learnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hi everyone, my first post here. I have been vaping for 3 months after 40 years smoking. Every day with the help of this site I learn more about vaping and how I like it. So here is my vaping journey. Hope some of the mistakes I’ve made might help other newcomers.

I started out with a couple of clone eGo Twist batteries at 650mAh & 1000mAh, a Justfog 1453, a completely unknown head which had variable airflow and a variety of 12mg Dekang and Hangsen juice. The unknown head fell apart inside 2 weeks and the Justfog tasted burnt and I wasn’t getting enough Nicotine to stop me having breakfast and dinner cigarettes.

So I took the plunge and bought myself an Aspire Nautilus Mini, fresh coils for the Justfog and some 18mg juice. Still the burnt tastes persisted but the extra nicotine did the job and I got off the tobacco. I was also having blockage and spitting problems with the Nautilus.

Then I upgraded to an Aspire CFVV 1600mAh battery for the Mini. Initially the combo (with new coil) tasted great but quickly became metallic/burnt tasting and blocked. Changing coils gave little improvement.

I was close to dumping E-Cigs, so I did some web research. And the breakthrough happened after finding this excellent forum and especially a link to Woody's "Guide to Safe Vaping and Finding APV's sweetspot!" at ecigadvanced. I had been driving all my batteries at full (4.8 volts) and consequently too high a wattage, no wonder I was getting that burnt metallic taste.

Using Woody's chart I dialled everything back to about 8 watts. Bingo! Bye-bye burnt metallica and hello flavour. What a break through.

I was still having mild burnt taste, blockage, popping, the occasional spitting issue and variable vapour production with the Aspire BVC coils and oddly (for an atty that very little seems to be known about) the Justfog became my preferred setup.

A couple of weeks ago I moved from Australia to Denmark and pretty much straight away two things happened, the 510 connector on the 1000mAh eGo clone threaded and then the Justfog rolled of the bedside table and landed on the tiled floor; completely dead even after changing the coil.

So I went to a store in Copenhagen and picked up a Kanger Protank-3 Mini with 1.5 Ohm coils and an Itaste CLK 1280 battery; it was recommend that I match the Protank 3 with the Aspire CFVV battery. I got home, tried the Protank-3 at 3.6 volts and it gave me one excellent vape, sweet full flavour and great vapour production. Much better than the Nautilus, or so it seemed.

I have to say here that I had been smoking roll your own tobacco for many years and prefer a tight draw. At first the Protank-3 seemed too airy a draw; the draw on the Justfog had suited me fine and I was running the Nautilus Mini closed for that tight draw. I had started watching TVC’s reviews on YouTube and he prefers to run vaporisers wide open (and take lung hits). I decided to open the draw on the Nautilus Mini and that’s when I had the next breakthrough.

An immediate increase in flavour and steam and the end of popping and metallic taste from the Nautilus Mini. Obviously the airflow is a big factor in the juice wicking efficiently.

So after a couple of months making mistakes and learning I had finally got to a good place with vaping.

Reading threads here and watching YouTube reviews has also helped me to learn more about the PG/VG mix. Up until now I’ve been using 18mg Hangsen and Dekang juice and settled into a pattern of using a mix of Tobacco & Vanilla in the Nautilus Mini and Lemon flavour in the Protank 3 Mini. While I am happy with the flavour I have got no idea what my PG/VG mix is; well it’s not on any of the Hangsen/Dekang bottles.

Like a lot of posts I’ve read here I experience some dry mouth and throat scratchiness and I put it down to the PG content. I’ve even been getting itchiness since arriving in Denmark but that could be down to riding a bicycle with Icebreaker woollen underwear; 0° C is extreme cold for an Australian :)

I went to the local Copenhagen store the other day and he couldn’t even tell me the PG/VG mix of his juice. I bought some all the same, tried the Lemon/Lime flavour and found it vastly inferior to the Hangsen Lemon. Don’t think I will be going back there again.

So I’m on the lookout for some better juice, preferably with a higher VG content of 60% or 70%. Looking at Danish sites the best I find is 50/50 or no information at all. But I really wanting a store I can visit. Why a store? Why not just purchase off the web? Because of my living arrangements; staying with a family and kids and I don’t really need them asking questions about packages in the mail. Maybe I’m paranoid.

I have found a couple of Danish sites that cater for DIY e-juice ‘blenders’. Maybe this is the way I will have to go.

But I’m never one for sitting still with an obsession. :) Watching TVC reviews (and others) piqued my interest in Sub-Ohm vaping and Mods. You don’t need me to tell you that it is now accessible to the “learner” vapers like me. I’ve been researching this madly for the past 10 days; so yesterday I went a bit crazy and bought my first sub-ohm gear.

I had decided to start simple with an eGo One XL (2.5ml atomizer with 2200mAh battery), but when I arrived at the shop I found they had the Eleaf iStick 30W which wasn’t on their website. So I also bought a Kanger Subtank Mini to go with the iStick 30W and a bunch of different flavoured e-juices, mainly 9mg and some 0mg. The PG/VG ratio of their juice is 50/50, not what I am looking for and not what appears to be the preference of many ECF members, but a least I know what mix I’m vaping now.

Time to experiment with all this new stuff. :vapor:

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
You've gone around the block a few times it sounds like. Finding the right equipment and the right juice is all subjective. It's individual taste. Knowing how to use it is something else. There are people in the know at this web site that can guide you. I'm a simple vap type of guy. Not looking to impress anyone, just looking to stay off cigs! 2 months clean and counting

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
Looks like you're figuring things out! I've been around in Europe a bit the last few years and it seems like the vaping scene is a few years behind which is too bad. People look at me like I'm an insane person when I vape in public. Every once in a while I would spot a vaper with up to date gear however. It's only a matter of time before it takes off like a rocket. Seems like there's a lot of activity in Germany, UK and Italy at the moment.

Thanks for all the welcomes
People look at me like I'm an insane person when I vape in public. Every once in a while I would spot a vaper with up to date gear however.
I've noticed a few more vapers here in Denmark than I have back home in Australia, there I was getting lots of stares and looks. Because the Nic Juice is illegal in Denmark there seems to be caution about what is put on web sites.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Congratulations to the OP! You're learning faster than most I think. :)

Try some Hazelnut or Sticky Bun at Mt. Baker Vapor. Also their Extreme Ice is good if you like a cool vape to switch up from those sweet ones. Blood Orange is good too. For me, that Hazelnut is to die for and I buy it in the big bottles (236ml). Good luck to you! :)

Congratulations to the OP! You're learning faster than most I think. :)

Try some Hazelnut or Sticky Bun at Mt. Baker Vapor. Also their Extreme Ice is good if you like a cool vape to switch up from those sweet ones. Blood Orange is good too. For me, that Hazelnut is to die for and I buy it in the big bottles (236ml). Good luck to you! :)

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out, love San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa which is a blood orange soft drink. Maybe it is time to get over my mail order paranoia :facepalm:

Metis

Nov 24, 2014
Denmark
Welcome aboard OP.

Yes, the nic juice is illegal in Denmark - which is a shame.

I jumped boat and wound up in Portugal, and here the scene is more open.
The "closed" market in Denmark was part of me going back to the analogs.

If you work somewhere with a reception, and is concerned about the non-descript packages arriving to your front door, why not talk to your boss about getting a package or two delivered to work?
- As a dane, I know most of them wouldn't have any issues with you getting a package or two once in a while delivered to work, as long as you have asked.

If it's possible, there's a fairly large site that appears to be run by a Dane on the internet. Shoot me a private message if you want to get a link to it.

Held og lykke med at holde dig væk fra cigaretterne!

-K

Cantthinkofausername

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
Portugal
I jumped boat and wound up in Portugal, and here the scene is more open.

Hi Metis,

I just joined up here today and stumbled across this post. I'm also in Portugal, down South though. Don't seem to be many shops round here, just a couple of "Pop-up" stores that carry about 10 different flavours. I've ordered a bit of stuff from the UK but wondered if you can recommend any online suppliers here. The exchange rate to sterling is making it all a bit expensive.

Metis

Nov 24, 2014
Denmark
Hi Metis,

I just joined up here today and stumbled across this post. I'm also in Portugal, down South though. Don't seem to be many shops round here, just a couple of "Pop-up" stores that carry about 10 different flavours. I've ordered a bit of stuff from the UK but wondered if you can recommend any online suppliers here. The exchange rate to sterling is making it all a bit expensive.
If you'll allow private messages, I can fire off a couple of links.

Best not to hijack another persons thread :)

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Thanks for the welcome Metis :)

I am here to study so it will be difficult to get a package sent to the university. :laugh: I have taken thewomenfolk's advice and am about to order some Mt Baker juice. I am in a home stay situation, I'm sure it will be ok.

Jeg planlægger at bo væk fra cigaretterne

If you do get some juice from Mt. Baker Vapor, please let us know how you like it. And I'll try to get back here to see your post. :)

If you do get some juice from Mt. Baker Vapor, please let us know how you like it. And I'll try to get back here to see your post. :)

I did actually order a batch of juice from Mt Baker last week and it arrived yesterday, so fast. Given that most of the juice I ordered was made the day I ordered I'm letting it steep for a few weeks. But I also ordered the Sample Pack and I've tried the Maui Sunrise, I have to say it is just a little too sweet 'n' fruity, but better than any of the local juices I have.

So I picked up:
Cherry Limeade
Blood Orange (Your recommendation)
French Vanilla
Hazelnut (Your recommendation)
Moo Juice​

So the proof will be in the vaping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread