My weaning off nic schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
I've dropped from 24mg to <1mg in ~6 weeks.
I dropped ~5mg/week until I was down to 5mg then by halves.

Also a bit ambitious, but I was encouraged at how quickly I adapted to lower nicotine levels so I just kept going.

:toast: Good luck!

Wow that's encouraging! And very well done!

Are you currently at 0 or are you still vaping a tiny amount of nic?

Boiler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
The land of sky blue waters
Are you currently at 0 or are you still vaping a tiny amount of nic?

I started at 0.75mg this week, I have been vaping about half as much since I reached this level (3ml/day to maybe 1ml). I just don't think about vaping as much anymore.

Once I'm halfway through this 30ml bottle I'll cut in half again or maybe just go to 0.

Still kind of nervous about going to 0 :)

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks for all your replies, advice and encouragement. I will listen to my body and if nic cravings do start to pop up unrelentlessly I might stay on that level longer or even up one. We'll see how that goes.

Kind of funny that I only checked out e-cigs because I'm going on a three week holiday to Borneo in november and long plane rides (13 hours) used to get me so rattled up because I couldn't smoke. I thought I would check out vaping to see if I could sneak a vape in the plane bathroom to get me through the very long flight. Incredibly stupid but that was the actual reason I looked into vaping. :)

Now I'm analogue free without a single craving for one in the space of a couple of days and even planning going nic free soon. Funny how things work! :)

Glad to have found this vaping forum with so much information and very helpful vaping colleagues to exchange thoughts with.

Went to the vape shop in Holland this morning and bought 6mg liquids to mix with my 12mg liquids. Except for in the morning and after meals (when I will vape 12 this week because those are for me the most trying times of the day) I have been smoking 9 during the day already. Must say a barely notice a difference. My all day vape is still Tobacco Mix. My non-tobacco 'dessert vape' has changed from mojito (good but was getting really bored of it) to capuccino (I do like my coffee :) ) I do still prefer the darker flavours over the overly sweet or fruity flavours (I get bored of them so easily it seems).

I expect that the real challenge will come when I go below 6 and eventually to 0. But that's still a couple of weeks down the road so I will be adjusting to 9 in the next two weeks before dropping further.

I 've read here that lots of people that adjust to 0 nic prefer menthol flavours because they still give some kind of TH at a 0 nic level (although it's not really comparable to a nicotine TH). Any other 0 nic flavours you guys vape or recommend? I'm not really a menthol kind of guy (I used to detest menthol cigarettes also because they disrupt the flavour of food and drinks since the menthol seems to numb the taste buds and tends to linger a long time).

That's excellent!!! I started off at 18%, and it took me a year to come down to 6%, so you're way, way ahead there :)

Don't worry about adding some time to the schedule if you DO start to notice withdrawal symptoms.

Re menthol, yes, it does provide more of a hit. Have you ever tried a little bit in a vape? It might feel different than menthol in smoking. Another thing that could help is switching to drippers, which give more of a hit, whatever you're vaping. I've tried 0% juice in a dripper with .6 ohm coils, and I got a very definite hit. Using 0% in a Protank gave nothing at all.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
I 've read here that lots of people that adjust to 0 nic prefer menthol flavours because they still give some kind of TH at a 0 nic level (although it's not really comparable to a nicotine TH). Any other 0 nic flavours you guys vape or recommend? I'm not really a menthol kind of guy (I used to detest menthol cigarettes also because they disrupt the flavour of food and drinks since the menthol seems to numb the taste buds and tends to linger a long time).

I actually posted about this very topic just a few days ago. I love the throat hit of higher nic juices, but have problems with them in other ways, so I've been searching for flavors that give their own TH.

I hated menthol too, but I recently have come to love two flavors: Thin Mint and Waffle (from Fluid Vapors). The Thin Mint gives a bit of a throat hit because of the peppermint, and the Waffle has like a smokey under-flavor to it with a bit of TH, I think because of the smokey maple syrup flavor they have going on in it. These two flavors have been staples to me while I'm quitting the stinkies.

I've also heard that juice with more PG will give you a better TH, though I've stuck with the 50/50 mix since it seems to be working well for me. I've also heard that juice with a bit of distilled water (DW) mixed in also give a bit of a TH. I'm not a DIYer though, so those specifics are best left to that crowd :)

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
I started at 0.75mg this week, I have been vaping about half as much since I reached this level (3ml/day to maybe 1ml). I just don't think about vaping as much anymore.

Once I'm halfway through this 30ml bottle I'll cut in half again or maybe just go to 0.

Still kind of nervous about going to 0 :)

Wow 0.75 is already really really low. Since I understand that nicotine delivery through vaping is far less than trough analogues, isn't 0.75 already an amount of nicotine that practically amounts to 0? Also, since your cravings for vaping have become much less, it seems to me that addiction to nicotine is no longer an issue for you. I could be wrong off course. Talk to me in some time when I'm lowering to 0 (if I make it that far) I'm puffing 9 at the moment so still a long way down on the nic scale for me. :)

I don't think you should be nervous anymore for going to 0 because 0.75 is almost zero and I can not imagine you still have much of a physical dependance on nic. It's probably just a psychological treshold (and those can be equally powerful as physical ones).

Kudos to you for getting so far down on the nic scale. You're my role model now! :) I hope I can achieve what you've achieved so far.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
Don't be nervous to its still way better than coffin nails

I really do hope so. :)

Quitting smoking was already a huge step and an easy one at that. Getting rid of my nic depencendy gradually for me is not so much because of health concerns (I believe nic on its own without all the analogue crap that goes with it can not be that dangerous). it has more to do with the fact that I don't want some chemical or device to have such an impact on my life anymore. I don't want to freak out when I left the house without my PV, forgot my juice so I run dry when on the road somewhere or seeing the light on my battery turn red when I forgot a spare or a charger.

I guess when I manage to free myself of nic dependency entirely, I can vape 0 whenever I feel like it but I don't have to vape. I can do whatever I want without some chemical making decisions for me. I hate how much I was a slave to my analogue cigs for nearly twenty years.

I'm just done with dependency/addiction. I envy people who don't have to inhale, inject, drink, smoke any kind of chemical to get through their day. I envy people that can sit through plane rides and dinners without having to sneak into bathrooms to stealth vape. That's the only reason at the moment why I would like to wean off nicotine.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
I hated menthol too, but I recently have come to love two flavors: Thin Mint and Waffle (from Fluid Vapors). The Thin Mint gives a bit of a throat hit because of the peppermint, and the Waffle has like a smokey under-flavor to it with a bit of TH, I think because of the smokey maple syrup flavor they have going on in it. These two flavors have been staples to me while I'm quitting the stinkies.

I've also heard that juice with more PG will give you a better TH, though I've stuck with the 50/50 mix since it seems to be working well for me. I've also heard that juice with a bit of distilled water (DW) mixed in also give a bit of a TH. I'm not a DIYer though, so those specifics are best left to that crowd :)

Thanks very much for the tips these could prove to be very useful on my journey to a nic free vape. It's much appreciated.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
That's excellent!!! I started off at 18%, and it took me a year to come down to 6%, so you're way, way ahead there :)

Don't worry about adding some time to the schedule if you DO start to notice withdrawal symptoms.

Re menthol, yes, it does provide more of a hit. Have you ever tried a little bit in a vape? It might feel different than menthol in smoking. Another thing that could help is switching to drippers, which give more of a hit, whatever you're vaping. I've tried 0% juice in a dripper with .6 ohm coils, and I got a very definite hit. Using 0% in a Protank gave nothing at all.

Yes I might check the menthol out next time I'm in the vape shop. Who knows I might even like it when vaping. I can't imagine using menthol as my all day vape though. But maybe I'm wrong. 'll definitely give it a shot when reaching the lower bars on the nic scale.

About the dripper: I'm such a newb when it comes to vaping! A little over a week ago I was sucking on a V2 Cigs cigalike with disposable cartomizers without even realizing all the great options out there. A week ago I switched to Janty Clearo which already was an epiphany compared to V2 Cigs. Right now a dripper seems so inconvenient to me, but maybe after getting some vaping mileage under my belt I will get there.

Thanks for the very helpful tips!

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
So a little update on my weaning off nic plan. I'm still on schedule with today being the last day of my week 2 (all week 9mg). Starting tomorrow I will drop to 6 with the occasional 9 in the morning and after meals. Going to buy more 6 liquids tomorrow morning.

I'm leaving for vacation to Borneo on November 6. Sure would be nice if I could leave without vaping equipment alltogether (although I still think I will take my PV and some liquid as a safety net).

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
Time for another update. My weaning off nic plan is still going strong. I'm actually ahead of schedule. No problems whatsoever switching to 9, then to 6, then to 3,... Today I decided it's time to switch to zero.

My plan was to do a little 3 in the morning and after meals for the next couple of days but vape mostly 0. In a few days I hope to be completely nic free.

Although I'm only vaping 0 for the last six hours or so I can feel a slight nic craving every now and then. Which i suppose is normal since nic is an addictive substance. I'm contemplating just going to 0 full time in stead of vaping the occasional 3 inbetween. I feel like I have to get rid of all nic in my body asap in stead of dragging out the nic withdrawal further by switching between 0 and 3. Cold turkey? I mean what's 72 uncomfortable hours after nearly 20 years of smoking?

Not sure yet will see what happens.

One thing's for sure: I want to be smoke free, nic free and vape free by November 6 when I'm going on holiday to Borneo! Smoke free: check! Nic free: almost there. Vape free: hopefully very soon (I mean what's really the point without nic right? The habit I suppose...)

Wish me luck guys!

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
OK so switching to 0 nic hasn't been so easy as lowering from 18 to 3. I decided to not switch between 0 and 3 because I want to kick nic's a** once and for all. No more nic for me. Now completely nic free since 3 days. I do experience cravings though. Probably not nearly as bad as if I would have quit analogues cold turkey but still for the first time in a month and a half I crave for an analogue sometimes.

But I'm determined to never smoke one single puff again and I'm determined to quit vaping alltogether. I keep vaping my 0 nic and thinking to myself 'What's the point?' It doesn't really satisfy me anymore without nic but I don't really care.

I'll keep on vaping 0 nic for the next week. Next week I'm dumping my PV, all my juices, batteries, clearomizers, coilheads, chargers and stuff. Dumping it and never touching any of it ever again. I want to be free of everything: analogues and electronic.

I'm just going to man up and bite the apple. And I will succeed. :) Even if it means a few tough days ahead.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
OK so switching to 0 nic hasn't been so easy as lowering from 18 to 3. I decided to not switch between 0 and 3 because I want to kick nic's a** once and for all. No more nic for me. Now completely nic free since 3 days. I do experience cravings though. Probably not nearly as bad as if I would have quit analogues cold turkey but still for the first time in a month and a half I crave for an analogue sometimes.

But I'm determined to never smoke one single puff again and I'm determined to quit vaping alltogether. I keep vaping my 0 nic and thinking to myself 'What's the point?' It doesn't really satisfy me anymore without nic but I don't really care.

I'll keep on vaping 0 nic for the next week. Next week I'm dumping my PV, all my juices, batteries, clearomizers, coilheads, chargers and stuff. Dumping it and never touching any of it ever again. I want to be free of everything: analogues and electronic.

I'm just going to man up and bite the apple. And I will succeed. :) Even if it means a few tough days ahead.

I would keep at least one set up around in case you have a stressful moment and are tempted to go back to a cigarette.

I am down to 2 mg nic and I admit when Im at home I vape a lot but when Im at school (41 yr old going back to college!) or out I really don't think about it.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
Ok so this is hopefully my final update on this topic.

I quit smoking two months ago.
I quit nicotine a little over two weeks ago.
I quit vaping two days ago.

I also decided not to take any vaping gear with me on holiday. Every time a slight craving hits I just tell myself: 'What's really the point? There's no nicotine in there anymore.' And that helps. :)

The whole journey has been exceptionally smooth I must say. Off course a slight urge hits every now and then to light up, but I feel like it's more of an involuntary reflex than a conscious desire to smoke. I'm sure with time all the conditioned responses to smoke will die out eventually.

Never smoking again!

Good luck to all of you and thanks for the advice and support on this forum.

Vaping may literally have saved my life! I couldn't have done this as easily without my PV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread