The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

National Academies to issue anti vaping report at Jan 23 webinar

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Bill Godshall, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I generated several comments criticizing the National Academies report's research methods and conclusions in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Evidence on health effects of e-cigarettes is mixed, expert panel says
    Evidence on health effects of e-cigarettes is mixed, expert panel says

Excerpt

A longtime critic of research that labels e-cigarettes and vaping a gateway to tobacco smoking for young people, Bill Godshall, executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania, attacked the committee’s report, saying, “This is a repeat of all the junk science that’s been done already.”

A proponent of vaping as a path to quit tobacco smoking, Mr. Godshall said, “There are a thousand times more people who have quit smoking using vaping products than people going from vapers to cigarettes.”

He added that studies have not asked young people if they had smoked before vaping, only if they had smoked a cigarette at least once after previously vaping.

He suggested the findings might have been different if there was a harm-reduction expert on the committee. He also said randomized, controlled trials, while accepted as the highest quality in testing medical treatments, can’t reproduce the experience of vaping.

“There are over 3 million e-cigarette products registered with the FDA,” he said.

“The average vaper has switched from dozens of vaper products since they’ve quit smoking,” he said. Surveys show the success of vaping, he said, adding that surveys show most teens aren’t vaping with nicotine.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    I don't currently have enough focus to follow all that is going on.

Regarding the matter about teens taking up e-cigs and later cigarettes, or either singularly, do any of the statistics compare to the numbers of teens that were taking up smoking in the pre-e-cig period? Okay...facor in general decline in smoking if relevant. As well, crank in a factor for the overall increase in population of teens. Certainly a percentage of teens are going to express rebellion along these lines, but I wonder if there is truly and increase in teens rebelling towards e-cigs and perhaps later in to cigarettes than teens have traditionally done. If necessary add teens using e-cigs and not moving on to cigareetes + teens taking up e-cigs and later cigarettes. There's probably statisticial games going on in these evaluations.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chellie

chellie Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bill Godshall

Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tomasius74

Tomasius74 Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 12, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Tomasius74

Tomasius74 Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 12, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. chellie

chellie Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Thanks very much ---- I truly appreciated it.

Understand that I am a bit anal and did previously find a link to this pre-published report. Even with intros and all the pre-pub "fluff" this report is 613 pages instead of 680.

So not all the info is there and I do not know what was changed or not included in the prepub report to the full report - at least 67 pages worth - and I can't help but wonder what the big f----ing secret is. In my experiences - there is usually something tucked away in these situations.

I know it is not the same but It reminds me of the gov't situation years back. They wrote a draft of a TRANSPORTATION bill and it was super long and then in the final version they added in provisions about "roll-your'own cigarettes" to the transportation bill which effectively put all the roll your own folks out of business.

But I am not paying 100 bucks to see the final version.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bill Godshall

Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    The full report is available for free. All of the pages are there to see, although many of them just contain references and many are left blank.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.