Nature's Flavors lines besides 'flavors for coffee/tea'

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
Basically everyone says to only use NF's 'Flavor for coffe/tea line' for DIY. When I called NF a few months ago, the lady said the same but didn't give an explanation.

I hate the ethyl alcohol in the coffe/tea line. It gives a crappy burnt taste and throat hit. I get enough TH even with %100 VG + flavs that have no alcohol in their base. I can keep the lid off and evaporate some alcohol, but how much is that really going to help.

Most/all of NF's other lines don't have ethyl alcohol and use Organic Gum Acacia instead and some use water instead of VG. I did a quick search on Gum Acacia, and it doesn't seem bad at all, probably safer to vape than ethyl alcohol, but I'll wait for others' advice before I look into Gum Acaia further and decide to DIY with it.

I called NF today and asked why they say only use the 'coffe/tea flavors' and if I can use something else. They said they don't condone any use of their flavors besides food and won't give advice on how to use it otherwise. So I asked why someone there suggested 'coffee/tea' flavor to begin with and was told that it's because they have ethyl alcohol which evaporates when heated, hence how they suggest using their alcohol-based flavs for heat-related things like baking.

In case anyone was wondering, NF doesn't like soak fruits and vegetables to make the flavors. Only the essential oils are derived directly from the titled fruit/vegetable/spice etc. They use immitation, but plant-derived ingredients to mimic a strawberry, almond, etc. I read soaking something wouldn't vape very well anyway, but it works with tobacco and DIY cinnamon, coffee, etc.

Also, if you get diacetyl-free flavors for NF, expect to wait a very long time. I made a $250 order almost 3 months ago. I got everything but the diacetly-free item in about a week. Still waiting for the diacetly-free, called twice, said they're waiting on raw materials basically untill they have enough orders backed up to justify a bulk order or something like that.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
That sucks that it can cause asthma.

I'm hopefully not using NF anymore. It's not enjoyable compared to ECBlend's %100 Natural & Organic line or Virgin Vapor e-liquid I was used to. Maybe I'll leave the caps off, but I might end up with much less ml and still the alcohol nastiness.

It's not a simple as finding another flavor source for me. It's gonna take a bunch of research and contacting companies and probably not getting straight answers. I'm picky as a vegan and also try to avoid things that are vegan but aren't cruelty-free. NF's are vegan and seem to be the most basic and cruelty-free from what I looked into.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
I'm gonna see what other flavor companies are vegan, cruelty-free, and natural, and hopefully better than NF regardless of the alcohol. If not, I'll call NF and see it they'll just put VG USP instead of the alcohol for a special order. They'll probably do that.

ETA:
In case anyone was wondering, NF doesn't like soak fruits and vegetables to make the flavors. Only the essential oils are derived directly from the titled fruit/vegetable/spice etc. They use immitation, but plant-derived ingredients to mimic a strawberry, almond, etc. I read soaking something wouldn't vape very well anyway, but it works with tobacco and DIY cinnamon, coffee, etc.

That's what they said on the phone^, but the website says "A simple and common process for making vanilla extract is to take organic vanilla beans and grind them to a pulp then allow them to soak and extract in an organic alcohol/water mixture for a period of time sometimes for up to several months. Normally for a standard organic vanilla extract you would extract for a period of not less than fourteen days. That's how long Nature's Flavors allows its organic vanilla extract to age and extract. This method is common for our citrus and other fruit flavor extracts as well. There are usually some filtering and clarifying techniques that follow the extraction process before being bottled or packaged. There are no chemical residues because there are no chemical solvents used. Many of the organic flavoring ingredients are derived this way first before being incorporated in to water based or oil based organic flavor concentrate. To make the organic flavor concentrates water soluble you must emulsify the oils that were derived and separated from the extraction process or steam distilling and that usually involves using an organic gum or starch and under high pressure and shearing."

I think it depends on which flavor it is. Example: vanilla might just be vanilla beans and water aged, but watermellon from the same line might be immitation organic plant-derived flavor in ethyl alcohol. However, the vanilla + water might then be steam distilled in organic gum or starch to make it water soluble.

Last edited:

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
^to clarify, NF told me that the only flavors they have that are derived from the actual titled flavor are a line(s) of vanilla flavors not suitable for e-juice. The flav for coffe/tea flavors are plant-derived, but aren't from the titled flavor. Eg: banana flavor is from a non-banana plant extract(s) that taste like banana.

Last edited:

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
I left the caps off of the NF for about two weeks to evaporate alcohol. I shook them every few days. I lost about 4ml per 60ml bottle, some flavs lost more than other.
It's probably also because I'm using an RDA drip tank now instead of a Protank, but they taste better now. Still not the best e-juice and sort of concoctiony, but the alcohol flavor is way less after evaporating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread