Nautilus aspire x pg/vg ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscjw

Oct 5, 2013
Denmark
Hi everyone,

I switched about a year ago to the nautilus Aspire X. I started out with 12mg nicotine and a 50/50 mix. I went down to 9mg nicotine about a month ago. Now my coils are getting used up faster. They used to last about a month and now they are lasting more like 2 weeks. Should I go to a higher pg? Or is it something else?

I live here in Denmark and buy the fluid at a local store. The laws are such that they are required to sell the nicotine separately. No pre-mixes. They fill the bottle with the flavor and pg/vg fluid. Then you get the bottles of nicotine that you yourself have to add in.

I have an istick TC40W battery. I use it at 8W with a 1.8 ohm coil.

Reactions: stols001

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Reducing your nicotine strength should make no difference to the lifespan of your coil. The PG/VG ratio would do if you vape at a higher VG content as this will result in a thicker juice thus effecting the coil.
    You could dry pulling juice thru the coil after you vape, I.e. Draw But don't fire so the coil is always primed.
    Other possibility is some of your coils may not be up to scratch.

• Agree

mscjw

Oct 5, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I also thought that it would be weird that changing the nicotine strength would do that. I guess I will do two things. Check with the store that they are giving me the same pg/vg ratio and also see whether the next coil lasts longer. I buy original Nautilus coils not copies so I would have thought that they would be more consistent in quality though.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I also thought that it would be weird that changing the nicotine strength would do that. I guess I will do two things. Check with the store that they are giving me the same pg/vg ratio and also see whether the next coil lasts longer. I buy original Nautilus coils not copies so I would have thought that they would be more consistent in quality though.

I agree that the nic level itself wouldn’t be the problem, but also ask what the nic is in- is it the same pg/vg ratio as the juice?

I have the same tank and do get some less than stellar coils. And it does not work for me as an all day tank.

mscjw

Oct 5, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi mscjw,
    I've got a Nautilus Aspire, the old original one, and had same problem with that. I went thru a pack of 5 coils in about a week. The next pack I bought and they were fine. I guess it was just an iffy pack of coils.
    Good luck

OOF! That is a lot of coils in a week. I am glad to hear that it was better with the next pack. Maybe I have also got a bad batch too then.

mscjw

Oct 5, 2013
    Denmark
    I agree that the nic level itself wouldn’t be the problem, but also ask what the nic is in- is it the same pg/vg ratio as the juice?

I have the same tank and do get some less than stellar coils. And it does not work for me as an all day tank.

I am definitely going to ask them to show me what they have and how they make the mixes to see how the math adds up.

I have to fill up twice a day so that isn't too bad. Once before work and once after. Totally doable. :)

drysprocket

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've spent so much time trying to figure out why coils do last longer than another...but honestly, I've finally realized that it's pretty random. The 1.8 x coils are better than most on longevity, and 2 weeks is about what I get for them. Sometimes they go more or less, using the same setup and juice. It's just a quality control thing, and each coil is a little different. Lately the pocke x .6 coils have had a lot of issues sadly. I think it's just certain runs of coils are better than others.

Point is, I wouldn't overthink it...it'll drive you mad :)

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    OOF! That is a lot of coils in a week. I am glad to hear that it was better with the next pack. Maybe I have also got a bad batch too then.
    I guess that was the problem, that they were a bad batch. Honestly, i would put a new one in after priming it, had a few non hit puffs then fired it and after about 3 minutes vaping it tasted burnt again. Ive had a good coil in it now for over 3 months with no problems BUT i do not vape that one all the time lol.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Do you think you may be vaping more, and that might explain a shorter coil life, overall? It's just a thought, but if you are vaping more due to reducing your nicotine (or chain vaping more at certain times) that might impact your coils.

Although, yes, it is always possible to get a bad batch of coils, certainly.

Best of luck, nicotine reduction in and of itself shouldn't change coil life especially if you are keeping the ratios the same. The only other reason might be if you have less nic base but everything else is the same, that could change your PG/VG ratio as well (I'd imagine that effect would be fairly slight, but... )

Best of luck with it :)

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread