The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nautilus burnt taste???

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by SlideJob Jones, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SlideJob Jones

SlideJob Jones Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Findlay, Ohio
    Had a weird issue show up that I can't figure out. Bought juice a week ago, started to taste burnt yesterday after no problems for the week. I replaced the coil, no dice. Replaced the coil the second time, no help. Flushed fluid twice, washed the whole thing.....no improvement. Does the same thing on either of my boxes. If I cover the hole and blow into it, it tastes OK for a few hits then returns to a burnt taste. I have no idea what's going on here....any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Move you to Clearomizers from Carto Tanks

Carto Tanks
    A forum for general discussion of carto tanks. (Not for clearo type tanks

3. Katmar

Katmar Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    It's one of the reasons I quit using the Nautilus!! Good luck to you...:)

4. Rixsta

Rixsta The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2015
    Somerset, UK
    I had the same issue and I never figured it out, I had to throw it away and get another one.

Maybe it's upgrade time :) .....I always say that

5. jensy

jensy Super Member ECF Veteran

Are they authentic coils? I only use the authentic aspire because the cloned ones for me always gave a burnt taste.

6. daveyp

daveyp Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    BUFFALO
    prime the coil? i have to say, nautilus mini along with my subtank plus has been the most consistently good tanks ive used. i keep it < 15w though, with either coil. i now have 7 naut minis

7. Toronnah

Toronnah Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    It happened to me earlier this week with a dark juice. So I covered the air hole with my finger and sucked really hard to re-prime. Then I got a couple of drops of juice in the mouth. Since then no issue. It's possible that there was a blockage of particulate. The kind you see at the bottom of a depleted dark juice tank.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    Hawick, Scotland.
    I have three Nautilus Minis and what I do when each is empty is clean the burner screen with a bit of scrunched up tissue, take out the coil and do the same below it and rinse out the tank with Spanish Brandy ( which there is dead cheap ) before refilling - so far I haven't had the issue you have though...

....however what is the nic strength you are using? I normally enjoy Space Jam's Eclipse at 12 strength; when we came home at short notice because of flooding in the Borders in our town and street, I grabbed a couple of 30 ml Space Jam 18 strength. I got off the plane at Newcastle, filled up my tank which had a fairly new coil in it, shot outside to take a drag and found that I was vaping something that tasted like burnt rubber.

It was the higher strength that had caused the off taste couple with the fact that the bottle had got warm in my pocket. That juice is now fine but diluted down to the lower strength.

9. smoked

smoked Full Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Never had any problem with my mini so far. I don't use sweet juices , usually change the coil every week and vape on.

10. thetrucker

thetrucker Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    Sometimes when I run too many watts I will get a burnt taste and then I turn the power down and close some of the airflow off

then I get the vapor and flavor without the burnt taste----Seems I can get a pretty good

vape from 10 watts------to-----75 watts it just takes a little longer for my coil to start

to make vapor but I don't get a burnt taste at the lower wattages.

I think some people are making vapor with way too much power and their wicks are

drying out and getting burnt too fast and this could be avoided with a lower wattage setting.

It just seems to take a little longer for the coil to start to produce the vapor........I think

that people think that the wick is burning and that is the nasty taste they are experiencing

but really it is also the juice that is burning because of the high voltage settings----you

can make vapor or you can make vapor and burn the juice at the same time.......

• Like Like x 1
  11. SlideJob Jones

SlideJob Jones Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Findlay, Ohio
    SOLVED

It turns out I had a whole pack (or at least 4) bad coils from a pack. Opened another pack and everything is good again.

Genuine coils, all bought from the same place at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Falconeer

Falconeer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    Hawick, Scotland.
    Glad you got a result! In the past I have had the odd duff one in a five pack but never the amount you got - just one of the reasons I took up coil building even though I am fond of my Nautilus minis and will always be grateful to them for helping me get off of smoking after all those years.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.