Need a budget friendly *Series* Dual 18650 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Why the need for a series mod? The vast majority of dual-battery regulated mods are parallel. And on a regulated mod, it doesn't really matter, especially if you are just vaping at 5 watts on 2 ohm coils.

That's what I read on the forums back in the day. Perhaps those giving the advise weren't low wattage users?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
That's what I read on the forums back in the day. Perhaps those giving the advise weren't low wattage users?

Series vs parallel is more of an issue with mech mods (in which parallel would last longer than series). I second those who say it won't make a real difference for battery longevity in a regulated mod, so there's no need to worry about it. As for TC (temperature control), most regulated mods have it, but some are better than others. It's probably not worth bothering about if you're happy without it as you generally have to pay for chip quality.

What are your priorities - size, weight, durability etc.? Offhand, the Aegis Legend is pretty popular. It's supposed to be rugged, waterproof and durable, but it is a bit heavier than some of the other options.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Thank you all for the help. I've narrowed down my search to either the Vaporesso Gen 220w or the iJoy Shogun UNIV 180W. I can't decide.

Edit: I loved the conservative design of the Vaporesso but decided from all the various reviews that the Ijoy was the better choice for me. They were both $30 shipped which made it even harder to decide. The Ijoy is a bit loud for my taste but I'll get used to it. Thanks again guys n gals for the refresher course.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@sbc83, out of the 2 you're looking at the Vaporesso GEN would be the better choice.

And if you wish to try TC, it will be able to do so with some decent level of accuracy at a decent price point and not an excessive one.

I and others still have older Vaporesso mods at one side in our vape museums that still work like the day you got them, they just gain a little character cosmetically speaking.

And @Letitia, TC has nothing to do with chipset efficiency. Because when TC is implemented properly, in theory you should get longer runtime.

As when the coil reaches temperature the voltage is throttled to keep it within the set temperature range.

Reactions: sbc83

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Practically all dual cell devices are series configuration. Typical dual cell employs a wattage in the 150 and up range. To achieve that kind of power you need the extra voltage a series config is able to deliver.

There has been the odd parallel config, such as the Lost Vape Therion DNA75C. Parallel in this case was used to give extra run time over a single cell but the max voltage the 75C board was able to accept (4.2 volts) meant a parallel orientation was the only way to achieve that. The 75C cannot be used in a series config.

I question how well TC would operate at 5 watts. The device requires a working wattage window in order to modulate power properly. 5 watts is the lower limit of many devices, including the Vaporesso Gen.

Chip or circuit efficiency refers to the amount of energy said circuit requires in order to operate. This is not a static figure and can change depending on many variables. It is entirely possible that Temperature Control is less efficient than typical wattage. How that relates to operation longevity needs to be measured and compared.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@sbc83, out of the 2 you're looking at the Vaporesso GEN would be the better choice.

And if you wish to try TC, it will be able to do so with some decent level of accuracy at a decent price point and not an excessive one.

I and others still have older Vaporesso mods at one side in our vape museums that still work like the day you got them, they just gain a little character cosmetically speaking.

And @Letitia, TC has nothing to do with chipset efficiency. Because when TC is implemented properly, in theory you should get longer runtime.

As when the coil reaches temperature the voltage is throttled to keep it within the set temperature range.
TC chip if not used still bleeds battery life. The more sophisticated the chip the less battery life you get. Not a lot less but still a drain if not needed.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Letitia, the best analogy would be driving a car for TC and voltage vaping.

You can either put your foot to the floor and use more (voltage), or you can baby the engine and keep the RPM at a steady level (TC) Now which will give you the greater efficiency?

You may also not be taking into account circuit design and components used, as these are greater considerations regarding efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread