Status
Not open for further replies.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
Hello,

I have been away for awhile (darn analogs) but I'm back and ready to kick the habit again. I see there has been so many advancements in technology that I figured I would check with my fellow vapors and see what their recommendations are. I also did search the forums and watch some videos but I am still having trouble deciding.

Not looking to spend a whole ton of money but there seem to be so many rba's that I am having trouble deciding. Here is what I am looking at, so please post your opinions.

1. Phoenix
2. A7 rba
3. Vision Eternity
4. AGA or AGA T
5. Viva Nova - (Maybe not a true rba but similar)
6. Did Clone
7. Genesis

Also if you can point me to the respective vendors for your recommendation that would be appreciated.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
What battery device are you using?

For the price, I would always suggest a nice Vivi Nova.
They are easy to work with. You can also recoil/rewick them very easy if you want too.
They are a nice addition

I have an AGA-T and it is made very solid. It has a nice feel to it and does not feel like a cheap device.
I also like the fact you can get a glass tank for it. I believe IBTanked.com has the glass tank replacement them.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
What battery device are you using?

For the price, I would always suggest a nice Vivi Nova.
They are easy to work with. You can also recoil/rewick them very easy if you want too.
They are a nice addition

I have an AGA-T and it is made very solid. It has a nice feel to it and does not feel like a cheap device.
I also like the fact you can get a glass tank for it. I believe IBTanked.com has the glass tank replacement them.

I have an iTaste MVP, Buzz Pro & just ordered a Vamo.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I tried the Vivi's, not my thing at all, they mute the flavors for me, then give a burnt taste after about 30min of usage. I've been told going lower voltage, 3v or so, and I'd be happier. I can't say for sure, but even on my BB I had the same problem.
They really seem to be hit and miss, you either love it, or hate it and not much in between!
I forget now where I saw them, but there is a place that sells a Cobra and DID clone for $28 each. Yeah, I can't find it now, it was Oklahoma vapors or some such, sorry.

dredd0606

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
Lethbridge, AB Canada
If you don't like changing flavors often, and you have a good adv that you like, I highly suggest a genesis style atomizer. Making your own coils and wicks takes a little practice, but once you do it a few times it becomes pretty easy. I find the genesis style attys are the best all around vape for vapor production, throat hit, and flavor.

DID clones are available for around $25, just don't forget to order your SS mesh and kanthal wire at the same time. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to build your wick and coil, and there are a few methods as well.

Welcome back! I'm sure you'll find the right combo to keep you off the stinkies!

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I tried the Vivi's, not my thing at all, they mute the flavors for me, then give a burnt taste after about 30min of usage. I've been told going lower voltage, 3v or so, and I'd be happier. I can't say for sure, but even on my BB I had the same problem.
They really seem to be hit and miss, you either love it, or hate it and not much in between!
I forget now where I saw them, but there is a place that sells a Cobra and DID clone for $28 each. Yeah, I can't find it now, it was Oklahoma vapors or some such, sorry.

With SS mesh replacement they are a much different beast all together. '

The stock setup I will agree is pretty meh.

Just ordered two A7 from a Co-Op, and saw the video by Todd's Reviews about the 'Toddoid' which I really want to try.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I like the Vivi Nova only because they are pretty cheap, and have alot of options to mod them.
I have a few standard heads as a backup, and then I mod 1 with SS mesh and new kanthal.
They are nice to have with me if my other stuff goes out. At 10 - 15 bucks....they are nice.

Genesis style are pretty nice too...I actually prefer my AGA - T, but it does take some fiddling.
A standard Phiniac tank with a carto (maybe Boge) is a decent option. Many people seem to like those also.
Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks check em out...

I am not overly picky... I even can handle the Stardusts without much complaints, lol.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Hello,

I have been away for awhile (darn analogs) but I'm back and ready to kick the habit again. I see there has been so many advancements in technology that I figured I would check with my fellow vapors and see what their recommendations are. I also did search the forums and watch some videos but I am still having trouble deciding.

Not looking to spend a whole ton of money but there seem to be so many RBA's that I am having trouble deciding. Here is what I am looking at, so please post your opinions.

1. Phoenix
2. A7 RBA
3. Vision Eternity
4. AGA or AGA T
5. Viva Nova - (Maybe not a true RBA but similar)
6. Did Clone
7. Genesis

Also if you can point me to the respective vendors for your recommendation that would be appreciated.

The Vivi is probably the most different from the rest of what you have listed there. For a beginner, it's a cheap way to learn to rebuild, but IMHO, it is also a bit more difficult and there is a larger margin of error due to the cramped spacing and uninsulated leads. As a FIRST RBA, I would recommend an A-7 or a Phoenix over the Vivi. Anything that is a true Genesis atomizer- DUD, Chobra, AGA...these all add extra variables to deal with that as a beginner you might want to avoid until your coil-building skills are proficient. The only exception might be the AGA, but then you still going to be dealing with a device that can be set up in multiple ways- and which is much more complex than a standard "dripping" RBA.

Best of luck, have fun!

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
The A7 is a higher quality, all-steel product, which has a bottom-feed air hole, and usually you would use a horizontal coil; The Phoenix is part steel/part mystery metal, has a side airhole, and gives you options as far as how you want to build your coil- vertical SS, horizontal silica, pretty much anything goes.

AGA T VS DUD: check my blog, lots of info on the AGA compared to the DUD here

I would honestly try and swing one of each, 'cause they're all cheap...you could buy 25 phoenixes for the price of one of the high-end hybrids. But I know it's the holidays, so I would say, for a first timer...

Go for the Phoenix, the DUD clear-tank version and some 400# 316 SS mesh and 32 gauge kanthal to start. Buy the supplies from Ebay if possible because they're about 10x cheaper there. As a side note, don't use eGo's to test your RBA builds, use an inexpensive, simple big-batt mod like the Bolt if possible.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
The A7 is a higher quality, all-steel product, which has a bottom-feed air hole, and usually you would use a horizontal coil; The Phoenix is part steel/part mystery metal, has a side airhole, and gives you options as far as how you want to build your coil- vertical SS, horizontal silica, pretty much anything goes.

AGA T VS DUD: check my blog, lots of info on the AGA compared to the DUD here

I would honestly try and swing one of each, 'cause they're all cheap...you could buy 25 phoenixes for the price of one of the high-end hybrids. But I know it's the holidays, so I would say, for a first timer...

Go for the Phoenix, the DUD clear-tank version and some 400# 316 SS mesh and 32 gauge kanthal to start. Buy the supplies from Ebay if possible because they're about 10x cheaper there. As a side note, don't use eGo's to test your RBA builds, use an inexpensive, simple big-batt mod like the Bolt if possible.

Thanks - Nice review & comparison. Maybe I will just have to buy all (4). I think my atomizer building skills will be up to par.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
Alright so trying to compare what vendors are selling what I have come up with the following. Any opinions on these vendors or which would be better? I would prefer to order all from the same vendor.

OKC Vapes
AGA - Tank $24.99
A7 Rebuildable $18.99
DID Clone - $19.99
The Bulldog / Phoenix - $11.99

Mountain Oak Vapor
Phoenix - $8.99
Phoenix v3 - $11.99
A7 - $14.99
MOV v3 Genesis - $19.99

Discount Vapers
AGA Tiamat - $27.99
A7 / Pegasus - $17.49
Phoenix - $8.99

I am also assuming that the MOV V3 from (Mountain Oak) is the same as "DID" clone & the same as a "AGA -T" with the main difference being a clear tank. Is that correct?

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I always have a Vivi Nova with me. It is not as good of a vape, but it just simply works and its easy.
If I dont want to mess with my Aga-t...or it is just not performing right....I just put the VN on and vape away.

Plus my VN does not leak when its on its side....the Aga-T (or any genesis pretty much) will leak if laid down.

If it were me...I would pick up 1 Vivi Nova and then 1 of the others to try out. Vivi Novas are around 10-15 dollars...so they dont break the bank, and usually come with extra heads.

I simply setup my Vivi Nova....then practice coils/wicks on the Aga-T. When I get the Aga-T firing good...I use it. When it needs adjustment, and I cant seem to get it right...I use the Vivi Nova until I figure out what is going on with the coils/wicks.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
I have a (2) Vivi nova and thought they were an improvement over boge-cartos
Then I went with Phoenix (dirt cheap at Mountain Oak Vapor), at first I was using a horizontal SS mesh with cotton inside, they are a kinda hard to setup due to the small screws and holes but once running they were better than the Vivis, the caveat is that I prefer not to be dripping so often (it takes 10 to 15 drops, while I was accustomed to cartos on 3.5 ml tanks)

Then I got a Vulcan (Mini-DiD clone, dirt cheap from SureVapes) and spent about a month learning and playing with my first 'genesis-style' RBA. The Vulcan needs some tweaking (I drilled a slightly bigger airhole and a bigger wick hole).

First day on Genesis is kinda 'meh', then the setup breaks and things get tasty.

NOW, I did two Phoenixs with a vertical SS Mesh with a paperclip thin airhole inside and those things taste the best now! (again, only caveat is dripping every so often)

Now I have an AGA-T on the way, lets see how that pans out.

So, these days I'm only using Phoenix & Vulcan (won't run you more than $50 for both, taking into account Kanthal and SS Mesh).

May get a Terminator soon though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread