Need a new ohm meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2014
Virginia
So I have a ohm meter for my rda's and rta's, which reads from .1 to 9.9, which was decent for me (usually built between 1.1 and 1.6) but now I'm getting into TC and I need something that's a little more accurate and more suited for sub ohm builds. I've looked around a bit, but I'm not really trusting of website reviews, anyone have recommendations preferably less than 30$ and not a multimeter

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This is probably the best meter under $30 you will find ($23.21). Mastech is a respected name in meters and this one is autoranging.

Amazon.com: Mastech MS8261 series-MS8268 Digital AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter Meter: Home Improvement

51VzEMc6%2B9L.jpg

If you want accuracy to 2 places to the right of the decimal, buy one of the little square box ohm meters from a vaping web site that has a 510 connection. Most ecig mods and lower priced VOMs display one digit to the right of the decimal point.

Blue LED 510 Ohm Meter - Kidney Puncher
ohm_meter_WM__15599.1405415644.1280.1280.jpg

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
You could make your own rig to use a DMM. Just get a 510, something to hold it (a block of wood or something), and wore it to some stereo plugs. Take an extra set of cables for the DMM and fix them to the male part of the stereo plugs or just connect the wires directly to the 510.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheetah

Apr 8, 2015
Irvington, NJ
Hey Chav,
I JUST got into coil building recently, but I've been a Ham Radio operator for over 35 years, and a Electronics / Computer Tech for over 35. When I started making coils, even before I went out and bought a dedicated coil ohm meter each and every time I make a coil (some I put away in a box for future use, just in case the .... hits the fan & I'm too P'd off to build one) after I form it I break out my DVOM (Digital Volt-Ohm Meter) and check the coils resistance. the DVOM use id a "Extech Instruments, MN16A, Autoranging mini Multi Meter. I was going to post a picture of it here but being new to the forum, I couldn't figure out just how to do that, so OOOPS :D.

The RTA dedicated ohm meter I have been using is the "VOLTiOHM" by Vapor Cube, here's the page where you can get it: Voltiohm Digital Ohm Volt Tester Meter Reader RDA Atomizer 510 Orange HB02 | eBay
this meter does voltages of 510 connector bateries such as eGo's (and if you're good at soldering, you could set up a jumper/connector cable to go from a box mod's 510 female to the meter's 510 male, just saying) and omages to 100th of an ohm (i.e. 9.99 Ohm).

Check it out, Oh BTW, it's made in the U.S.A., if that's important to you, just saying.

I hope this helps,

L8R

P.S.: photo of DVOM is attached.
20150616_055221.jpg

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
best ohm meter is a half decent multimeter, i always use it to compare what the mod is reading
I don't agree.
My Fluke 177 (a $200+ multimeter) already reads 0.1 Ohm when holding the terminals together. Regular multimeters aren't made for low Ohm measurement at all. Get a meter that's dedicated for low Ohm measurements.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
I don't agree.
My Fluke 177 (a $200+ multimeter) already reads 0.1 Ohm when holding the terminals together. Regular multimeters aren't made for low Ohm measurement at all. Get a meter that's dedicated for low Ohm measurements.
the 0.1 ohm is reading the resistance of ur leads, u would subtract that number from ur coil resistance reading.
i dont agree w/u on multimeter, my cheapo $20 ones read the ohms fine and match my mods reading after subtracting the multimeter leads res., also they read upto a thousands decimal eg 0.000 ohms, imo thats very accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread