Need advice on new mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestonG91

Apr 10, 2014
UK
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new mod. It needs to be VV and have an ohm checker. Other than that, I just want something simple that performs well with as little hassle as possible. Doesn't need to be flashy.

I previously owned a 1100mAH Ego-style and a Tornado RCS (Battery mod with pass-through and unregulated mode no VV) and I'm currently vaping on a Unitank with my own coil rebuilds.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new mod. It needs to be VV and have an ohm checker. Other than that, I just want something simple that performs well with as little hassle as possible. Doesn't need to be flashy.

I previously owned a 1100mAH Ego-style and a Tornado RCS (Battery mod with pass-through and unregulated mode no VV) and I'm currently vaping on a Unitank with my own coil rebuilds.

Thanks.

There are two ways I could steer the answer to this question. I have had both of these mods and I do currently use one of them because I passed down my iTaste VV too my dad. The two mods I would recommend based on the criteria is the iTaste VV or the SVD. Both will fit the bill but depending on the budget the SVD will require batteries and a charger where the VV just is going to need a micro USB charger. As a personal preference I do prefer the batteries to having a pass thru but both have there merits. Look both of them up and go from there.

WestonG91

Apr 10, 2014
UK
There are two ways I could steer the answer to this question. I have had both of these mods and I do currently use one of them because I passed down my iTaste VV too my dad. The two mods I would recommend based on the criteria is the iTaste VV or the SVD. Both will fit the bill but depending on the budget the SVD will require batteries and a charger where the VV just is going to need a micro USB charger. As a personal preference I do prefer the batteries to having a pass thru but both have there merits. Look both of them up and go from there.

Thanks, I'll look into the SVD. I would prefer a tube style mod.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I was looking at the Vamo v5. It seems to have everything I need without being to overpriced or flashy. Anyone have one or any opinions in general?

I myself have heard sketchy things about the threading on the V5's 510 connector giving out. The MVP2 is pretty highly regarded and seems to fit your bill if the box form doesn't deter you. I had one and enjoyed it for what it was. You can't beat the price. They can be had for $40 bucks. They are variable voltage 3-5 volts, actually might be 3.3-5 volts, can't remember. The ohm checker is accurate. It has wattage mode if you decide you want to start using wattage mode. Pbusardo has a very good youtube review of it showing how the voltage output is very accurate according to how you set it. Unfortunately the same can't be said about many other devices out there.

The battery is quite large, something like 2600 mah. Enough to last me for a couple days at least. Its fairly durable, and seems to last people longer than most other devices at this price point out there. It has a very good chip, something like 800mhz, correct me if i'm wrong on that. This means that it delivers the electricity very smoothly, unlike other devices, namely the vamo if i'm not mistaken that have lower hz chips. The current alternates, so it more or less pumps electricity to the coil X amount of times per second, whereas the MVP is more like direct current, or constant electricity applied to the coil. This results in a smoother vape.

Cons for me were that the menu system could be improved, and the fire button is rather stiff. My finger got a little tired after a while, but finger pushups help =]

Most people that will reply to this thread will likely suggest the MVP2 for the price point it's offered at. Notice I said most people. If you don't have a budget limit, I would definitely opt for a Provari. I won't explain why because theres more than enough info out there to fill you in on that

WestonG91

Apr 10, 2014
UK
I myself have heard sketchy things about the threading on the V5's 510 connector giving out. The MVP2 is pretty highly regarded and seems to fit your bill if the box form doesn't deter you. I had one and enjoyed it for what it was. You can't beat the price. They can be had for $40 bucks. They are variable voltage 3-5 volts, actually might be 3.3-5 volts, can't remember. The ohm checker is accurate. It has wattage mode if you decide you want to start using wattage mode. Pbusardo has a very good youtube review of it showing how the voltage output is very accurate according to how you set it. Unfortunately the same can't be said about many other devices out there.

The battery is quite large, something like 2600 mah. Enough to last me for a couple days at least. Its fairly durable, and seems to last people longer than most other devices at this price point out there. It has a very good chip, something like 800mhz, correct me if i'm wrong on that. This means that it delivers the electricity very smoothly, unlike other devices, namely the vamo if i'm not mistaken that have lower hz chips. The current alternates, so it more or less pumps electricity to the coil X amount of times per second, whereas the MVP is more like direct current, or constant electricity applied to the coil. This results in a smoother vape.

Cons for me were that the menu system could be improved, and the fire button is rather stiff. My finger got a little tired after a while, but finger pushups help =]

Most people that will reply to this thread will likely suggest the MVP2 for the price point it's offered at. Notice I said most people. If you don't have a budget limit, I would definitely opt for a Provari. I won't explain why because theres more than enough info out there to fill you in on that

Thanks. The MVP 2 does sound appealing. The whole box mod thing puts me of a little though. I just imagine it would feel somewhat awkward and unwieldy in hand.

inksane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2011
Minnesota
www.halfpricepartybus.com
+1 to the MVP I own 2 of them and a vamo v5 and the MVP is hands down a way better device. The vamo is like a light saber in 18650 mode.

dy5upa8u.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. The MVP 2 does sound appealing. The whole box mod thing puts me of a little though. I just imagine it would feel somewhat awkward and unwieldy in hand.

I thought the same thing as well. It looks larger in pictures. I have average size hands and it fits just fine in my hand, not awkward at all. I would suggest checking one out in person.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Find what works best for you and go with that. With your atty an 11 watt output may be all you need to max it out, but, then there is no room for vape growth. Would recommend something with a minimum of 15 watts output. 20-30 watts would be even better. There are so many options out there and choice is a personal preference.

A big factor is where do you want to take your vape? Do you see yourself going to an rba? Is vape something that you plan on continuing? If so, quality and build should be a consideration over price. I've gone from upgrading to adding to my collection. Everything I own will last me for years, so price becomes a minor concern.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Don't let the box shape of the MVP get to you. They are smaller then they look in any picture online. I wasn't considering one myself because they looked huge online until I found one for $40 and couldn't pass up the price for all that it's capable of. Got it, and then ordered a second in a week. The box shape actually works to my advantage. I have kids, they run, and tables wobble. My MVP stays put. I can't imagine how many broken glass tanks I'd have by now if not for the fact that a box can't roll.

Abbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Kansas City, MO
For a beginner I recommend the MVP2.

The reasons are sound. There are some disadvantages of course, but in general it is the mod I recommend to new vapors.
1) No need for a secondary charging system
2) Good charge capacity
3) Can take a beating
4) Self contained
5) Very reasonable size
6) A great way to start into more powerful devices

Now, all that said I do love my Vamos. They are more powerful, but they require a step into the "big battery" generation. I got my first Vamo a short while after my first MVP1 and it was considerably more powerful and quickly became my all day device. It was the MVP that let me appreciate the differences between a cig-alike and a true APV.

Sadly, after dropping my Vamo and damaging the worn threads I almost had to part with my friend (who has since been replaced as my device of choice.) I am good at tinkering though and I replaced the top cap and modified it a bit... say hello to Franken-Vamo

20140405_001831.jpg

My poor MVP1 lost its button. It will be worked on soon. I am thinking about converting it to a DNA20 mod ;)

inksane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2011
Minnesota
www.halfpricepartybus.com
For a beginner I recommend the MVP2.

The reasons are sound. There are some disadvantages of course, but in general it is the mod I recommend to new vapors.
1) No need for a secondary charging system
2) Good charge capacity
3) Can take a beating
4) Self contained
5) Very reasonable size
6) A great way to start into more powerful devices

Now, all that said I do love my Vamos. They are more powerful, but they require a step into the "big battery" generation. I got my first Vamo a short while after my first MVP1 and it was considerably more powerful and quickly became my all day device. It was the MVP that let me appreciate the differences between a cig-alike and a true APV.

Sadly, after dropping my Vamo and damaging the worn threads I almost had to part with my friend (who has since been replaced as my device of choice.) I am good at tinkering though and I replaced the top cap and modified it a bit... say hello to Franken-Vamo

View attachment 324995

My poor MVP1 lost its button. It will be worked on soon. I am thinking about converting it to a DNA20 mod ;)

Now that is a light saber

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The only problem I find with the MVP is it only has an 11 watt upper limit. If one decides to use DCC's or lower ohm equipment, the MVP is limiting.

I much prefer the Vamo for the better functionality and upper 15 watt limit. The weak threading is the issue with the Vamo. But if you get a $6.00 air flow controller, that problem is solved.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey,

Thanks.

mvp2.
best bang for the buck in batteries.
high capacity VV/VW passthrough battery.

the vamo is good too, but then you'd need to be changing batteries and also get a charger for the batteries; you can get that kind of thing next year; the mvp2 will give you hassle free.

If the box shape puts you off there's the pensize alternative the itaste vv v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread