Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I much prefer smaller diameters in mtl rtas. I run every one of my mtl rtas at 2.5mm but use kanthal 26g. I do 6 wraps in the .7 range and find it awesome. Do you trim the tails after wicking? If not, I would venture to say that you have to much wicking material in the channels, especially if using a 3mm coil. What wattage are you running? And how high is your coil from af?

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

I have the Ammit rda which is similar and I find the .6 or .7 is my sweet spot but certainly some would say go higher like 28 gauge wire 10 wraps which is around 1 ohm. Careful with the wicking it should be tight but not so tight that it distorts the coil as it gets pulled through.

Good luck...

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@tomikosfromcz, I'll second 2.5mm coil ID. It seems the best size for MTL atomisers. 3mm ID will work work somewhat, but wicking tails need to be thinned a fair amount and occasionally you'll end up searing the wicking because of this.

If you're making a contact coil where the wraps touch each other, you could try 8-9 wraps plus up to as many as you can fit comfortably. As unfortunately I have never used a Beserker 1.5.

Also could we ask what wicking you're using as well please?

tomikosfromcz

Jul 12, 2019
As I said my English is a bit "broken" :D
to be honest I dont know what wicking means.. :/
But anyways I tried 2.5 mm diametre and I find it much better now... like the taste is more sweeter :)

And if by wicking mean what cotton am I using.. it's a canna cotton and also fiber'n cotton :)
Thanks to all of you for responding :)
Edit: To my build it's 2.5mm, 7 wraps, and like the coil is 1mm above the "air hole"
also I think I am ok with my work with cotton, the sound that it's like "Crackling " and I dont put too much cotton into coil, I make it fit kinda normal, and make it "fluffy" :D

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
As I said my English is a bit "broken" :D
to be honest I dont know what wicking means.. :/
But anyways I tried 2.5 mm diametre and I find it much better now... like the taste is more sweeter :)

And if by wicking mean what cotton am I using.. it's a canna cotton and also fiber'n cotton :)
Thanks to all of you for responding :)
Edit: To my build it's 2.5mm, 7 wraps, and like the coil is 1mm above the "air hole"
also I think I am ok with my work with cotton, the sound that it's like "Crackling " and I dont put too much cotton into coil, I make it fit kinda normal, and make it "fluffy" :D
Very good and glad it's working a bit better....in all honesty, in a small mtl rta, it's more about the wicking technique then type of coil imo, so getting the wicking perfected is the key...rtas are perhaps the most sensitive tanks in vaping and flavor can suffer from the most minute change. A few extra strands of cotton in the coil, the precise height of coil, the perfect af , the lenght and density of tails all can make a difference in the outcome, so patience and time are key....it can take many builds to perfect a certain rta and all rtas have different sweet spots....I would continue tweaking and remembering each way until it's where you want and then try different coil types. Simple round coils will work just as good as anything else with small, low wattage mtl rtas imo, but after a while it doesn't hurt to try different coil types.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi,
so I need advice from you guys... I ordered a coilogy Ni80 (0.3mm)wire, can you help me with your best MTL build?
i was using 3mm, 6 wraps and I am not quite satisfied with the taste.
I am building on Berserker 1.5.
Thanks to all of you :)
//also sorry for my English, I am from Czech Republic :)
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to play around and change variables in:
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
The settings above very approximately works for me. Feel free to experiment.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Wicking, the stuff you use to move the liquid to the coil or coils depending upon the atomiser.

With Cotton you want a slight amount of resistance, not enough to move or distort the coil. As when Cotton is wet, it expands.

If you use Rayon you want more resistance, enough to move and or distort the coil a little. Rayon on the other hand is weird and shrinks a little when wet, this is why you use a little more than Cotton.

But no matter what you use, it does take some time to find the Goldilocks zone. Not too little, not too much, but just right.

And glad to hear that you're getting there. If you're getting crackling from your coil, you can use a little more on your next rewicking. As just under enough can cause that and way under causes spitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread