Need advice - Upgrading from my beginner ego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spizzel

Nov 17, 2014
Boston
Still new to vaping, thought i would ask my wife for an iStick as my first upgrade from my ego twist for christmas. she comes back and says "you love vaping why not something nicer/more expensive?" She told me to find something in the 150 range that will serve me well and be nice quality.

So im looking for advice on a decent $130-$175 range mod that will treat me well. Im using clearomizers right now and i have a aerotank mini and nautilus mini if that matters. Im hooked on vaping so it would be nice to have something to grow into. I also like the asthetic of box type mods like the mvp/istick. Anything out there that might be a good fit?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Whatever you decide on, research it. The search bar in the upper right will help. Many will have different recommendations and personal likes and dis-likes. A good question when considering is "what are the pros and what are the cons"? New stuff is coming out all the time, but it may not be necessary.

Two to look at (mine) are the IPV2 at ~$95 and the VaporShark rDNA30. I have others, but they are really for special interests. It would be best to get something that is mainstream and does many things well.

Good luck! and happy vaping.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Still new to vaping, thought i would ask my wife for an iStick as my first upgrade from my ego twist for christmas. she comes back and says "you love vaping why not something nicer/more expensive?" She told me to find something in the 150 range that will serve me well and be nice quality.

Stop the presses - your wife asked you to spend more on vaping gear for yourself? Savor the day, my friend, this can't last forever! :laugh:

Spizzel

Nov 17, 2014
Boston
Stop the presses - your wife asked you to spend more on vaping gear for yourself? Savor the day, my friend, this can't last forever! :laugh:

LOL she may or may not of had a few glasses of wine when she said that. Shes happy im off cancer sticks so she wants me to have some decent gear to make sure i stay off them for good!

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
LOL she may or may not of had a few glasses of wine when she said that. Shes happy im off cancer sticks so she wants me to have some decent gear to make sure i stay off them for good!

Very very cool, no doubt about it.

I'm out of the higher-end mod game, but you might look into something with a DNA40 chip. I know Hana and Vapor Flask are making mods with those chips, and I'm sure others are too.

They've been working out some bugs, but the chipmaker, Evolv, has been very good about making sure the customers are well taken care of, if problems arise. I would say the DNA40 devices are higher-end in the sense of quality; the other class of higher-end mods cater to power-hungry vapers that want lots of wattage. Maybe not quality that will stand the test of time, and not super useful if you're not rebuilding. Certainly not a bad choice, if rebuilding is in your future.

Anyway, a key feature of the DNA40 is that, when used with atomizers using nickel coils, it can limit the temperature of the wire. Quite possibly the future of vaping, only time will tell. But it might be a good fit for you, since it isn't outrageously powerful, but powerful enough to keep you happy for quite some time. No stock tanks use nickel wire to my knowledge, but they will be available for the Nautilus tank at some point, hopefully soon.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I am a big fan of the Sigelei 100 watt box. But if you are sticking with those clearos for now it would depend. Are you constantly vaping those at the max voltage on the spinner? The lone draw back of the Sigelei IMO is the 10 watt minimum voltage. If you are still enjoying vaping at less than 4.2 volts with the 1.8 ohm coils it will be too much power and give you a burnt taste on certain clearos.

That being said it is a great device. Checkout eciggity.com Reddit10 discount code worked last week for the RDA's I bought. used it on my 100watt a few months ago as well.

Spizzel

Nov 17, 2014
Boston
Very very cool, no doubt about it.

I'm out of the higher-end mod game, but you might look into something with a DNA40 chip. I know Hana and Vapor Flask are making mods with those chips, and I'm sure others are too.

They've been working out some bugs, but the chipmaker, Evolv, has been very good about making sure the customers are well taken care of, if problems arise. I would say the DNA40 devices are higher-end in the sense of quality; the other class of higher-end mods cater to power-hungry vapers that want lots of wattage. Maybe not quality that will stand the test of time, and not super useful if you're not rebuilding. Certainly not a bad choice, if rebuilding is in your future.

Anyway, a key feature of the DNA40 is that, when used with atomizers using nickel coils, it can limit the temperature of the wire. Quite possibly the future of vaping, only time will tell. But it might be a good fit for you, since it isn't outrageously powerful, but powerful enough to keep you happy for quite some time. No stock tanks use nickel wire to my knowledge, but they will be available for the Nautilus tank at some point, hopefully soon.

Rebuilding will be in my future for sure, just not quite yet. Its one of the main reasons for asking for advice here because i do want something to grow into. I mean, i hear good things about the istick i originally wanted, and im sure it would do me good, but can i really grow into it? Something like the dna40 you mentioned sounds a lot better for growing into.

Spizzel

Nov 17, 2014
Boston
I am a big fan of the Sigelei 100 watt box. But if you are sticking with those clearos for now it would depend. Are you constantly vaping those at the max voltage on the spinner? The lone draw back of the Sigelei IMO is the 10 watt minimum voltage. If you are still enjoying vaping at less than 4.2 volts with the 1.8 ohm coils it will be too much power and give you a burnt taste on certain clearos.

That being said it is a great device. Checkout eciggity.com Reddit10 discount code worked last week for the RDA's I bought. used it on my 100watt a few months ago as well.
I would say im usually at about 4v. I change it up a lot so sounds like sigelei may be too much? It was one i was looking at but didnt realize it had a minimum voltage.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Rebuilding will be in my future for sure, just not quite yet. Its one of the main reasons for asking for advice here because i do want something to grow into. I mean, i hear good things about the istick i originally wanted, and im sure it would do me good, but can i really grow into it? Something like the dna40 you mentioned sounds a lot better for growing into.

Yeah, the istick is a great little device for what it is: a small, inexpensive step up from egos that can hold a charge for a while! But I purchased a VTR as my step up (15watt max), and abandoned it as quickly as possible. Again, nice device, but not for rebuilding, after a certain point, for me. To power dual 28ga coils, it really takes 25+ watts, so the istick would be quite limiting after a certain point.

But 40 watts is quite nice! That's all I'm getting from my mechs, if even 40 watts, and it's enough to fog up a car with a couple good blasts. I realize clouds aren't an endgame, but it does make the vape much more satisfying, for me.

You may well find yourself wanting more than 40 watts at some point, but it would be plenty for a great many tanks (as opposed to drippers).

I don't want to sell you on the DNA40, but if i were in your position, I'd look into it. Wish I could provide options, but hopefully others continue to. I just know USA-based Evolv is being rock solid with customer service at the moment, which is good for a device you plan on using for a while.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I would say im usually at about 4v. I change it up a lot so sounds like sigelei may be too much? It was one i was looking at but didnt realize it had a minimum voltage.

if you are constantly going up that will work. But down probably not. It hits well with my mini nautilus but i have pretty much retired that topper and couldnt really say yeah that rocks on the sigelei. Cant really say that day in and day out it doesn't deliver burnt hits or whatever? because I just don't know.

And I really like the sigelei. I have bounced it off the ground a couple times pretty hard and it still fires like a champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread