Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I'm pretty naive about the vaping world, but I have started out with my iStick 30 watt baby mod and Kanger sub tank nano vaping at 6 nic. I want to upgrade eventually, but I'm close to clueless as to what I should go for. Any tips would be wonderful!
You've got a pretty decent set up right now. If you upgrade your mod, you will be looking at probably going with a higher wattage, or a mod that uses replaceable batteries, has temp control, or can go to an even lower resistance coil than what the iStick 30 can offer. As for the tanks, you might want to look for a tank that offers a RBA coil, so you can build and rewick your own coils rather than having to regularly buy and replace coils.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I also think you have a pretty good setup there. If anything I'd just upgrade to the top or subtank mini so you can use the RBA if you want to. It's really easy to build on though I just saw the newest RBA they're putting out with the new shipments of tanks and they shrunk the juice hole by quite a bit, which makes no sense to me but should still be workable.
Other than that I'd just get yourself a battery that lets you run higher wattage and has more capacity (though hang on to the 30w istick, she's a beauty and it never hurts to have a backup.
Kanger has a wide variety of coils in different resistances and build styles, so you should be able to find something that's perfect for you.
But if rebuilding doesn't interest you there's also the Aspire Cleito, the thing is a beast. I'd get one myself but without an rba I'm not really interested. Can't afford factory coils anymore.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
whats your budget for an upgrade? do you want rebuildables or prebuilt coils?

Mod choices are plenty these days and entirely depends on your budget and type of battery you want in there - lipo, single, dual, triple 18650, 26650, built in batteries, etc. TC with ni200, SS, Ti seems to be standard, so is TCR with the newer mods.

As for tanks. Check out the cerabis ceramic subohm tank by Ceravape. I recommend this due to how easy it is to use and how long their ceramic coils last (advertised as lasting up to 3 months, so far I've gone thru 60mls and the coil is still vaping like new).

With ceramic coils you don't have to prime your coils, just install, fill up, vape.

With ceramic coils you don't have to switch out your coils when changing flavor, just finish vaping the tank and dry burn the coil at a low wattage setting.

With ceramic coils you get great flavor. Its honestly better than the Crown, which is known for flavor. This one is on par with my RTAs and I have alot of RTAs.

The tank is virtually leak free, build quality is top notch, and the AFC/JFC control is just awesome.

Tank is about $26 (angelcigs is where I got mine), coils are $14 for a 4 pack, same price as a cotton wick coil but lasting much much longer.

Only 2 cons I have with this thing.

1. The tank heats up rather quickly, but due to the design of the drip tip, the heat does not transfer to your lips.

2. It guzzles juice and requires at least 40W (I vape the 0.4-0.5ohm coils at around 50W) to vape decently

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @lilbit812

Today, I'm also using an iStick and a Kanger subtank Nano. :) (40w and topfill).

That's a nice enough set-up and similar to what I use during the day, every day, except evenings/weekends. Sometimes I swap the tank for an Eleaf GS or Joyetech Cubis. It's all good these days.

If you are keen to buy something new, I'd go for the mod first; see if you can find a nice independent battery mod with all the features.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll agree with those before me. You already have a pretty nice starter's setup. It's always good to have a backup setup though.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.

Do some research to see what features you might be interested in for a more advanced setup. For example, a mod which uses replaceable battery makes more sense in the long run. What you have now, when the battery eventually dies (after about 250 - 300 charge cycles) you will need to replace the entire iStick. If you had a mod which uses a replaceable battery, you'd just need to replace a $6 battery and not an entire mod.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
18650 Battery Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Cell to Vape With

You may wish to stick with factory-made replaceable coils; they are convenient but somewhat expensive. Or you could look into making your own coils; much cheaper in the long run and they last much longer, make more vapor, and make better flavor.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.
Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
In order to Deeming Proof yourself as much as possible, I would suggest something like the Subtank Mini because of the RBA deck, and buy a bunch of spare RBA decks (and multiple STM's. The nice thing about the STM is you can use factory coils as long as they are readily available (which may not be terribly long if the FDA goes unchallenged).

Then upgrade to something that uses external batteries, such as the Evic VTC Mini that is my own favorite now. Anything that uses standard 18650 batteries *should* last longer or at least outlast the internal battery in your present mod. Buy as many of those (or whatever you choose) as your budget allows.

Other than that, what you need to upgrade for performance depends on your specific issues with your current setup. Otherwise it becomes a solution in search of a problem...

Vaping Griffon

Jun 6, 2016
Nirvana
I'm pretty naive about the vaping world, but I have started out with my iStick 30 watt baby mod and Kanger sub tank nano vaping at 6 nic. I want to upgrade eventually, but I'm close to clueless as to what I should go for. Any tips would be wonderful!

I know a vast array of products. We would need to know a budget though. If replacing your mod, you will have to decide if you want a permanent internal battery or make the jump to being able to swap out your batteries. Depending on which way you go with that could have a lot of influence on which tank may be best for you.

Netop

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Providence, RI
Like many others that have responded , I think the Istick 30 and a SubTank is a nice, solid combo.

As far as what's next for you...
Depends on what you want that you are not getting from your current setup and what kind of vaping you enjoy.
If you are not maxing out the 30w right now, don't worry about getting more power unless the larger boxes feel good in the hand or you want the extra battery life.

But a couple if things I would consider:
Get a cheap dripper that allows single coil builds. Get something that is easy to build on. You might not drip all day, but the advantage of a dripper is that you don't have to worry about leaking a tank of juice if you goof something up. If you find that you like building coils, then start shopping for a tank.

Or, like someone else said, get the SubTank mini to start playing with coil building. If it's not your bag, you still have a tank that takes drop in coils.

Get something with removable batteries. I would avoid dual batteries starting out, because then you have to buy twice as many batteries and keep the batteries married.

But whatever you do, get a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread