Need guide about coild and battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alasha

Mar 29, 2020
Hi, I have just purchased a new vgod pro mech 2, It comes with 2 prebuilt coils. Following its documantation I put the in my rda as a dual coil. When I measure the ohm I get 0.16 ohm. So based on the ohm law
4.2 / 0.16 = 26.25A
My battery is sony vct6 , 15A
Based on the law it is not proper to use with that coil setup. Is it correct?
Also is it okey to use a single coil to rise the resistance to 0.32 in the meanwhile that I order another battery?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
If you wanted dual coil @Alasha, you'd need a 21700 capable mech.

Could anyone confirm if stacking would be an option? As I'd rather prefer to sound like an idiot and ask a question, but be smart and learn something. As I do know that parallel splits the load, but need to confirm on series.

And of course using steam-engine.org tools, resistance testers and ohms law to keep within safe limits.

Alasha

Mar 29, 2020
If you wanted dual coil @Alasha, you'd need a 21700 capable mech.

Could anyone confirm if stacking would be an option? As I'd rather prefer to sound like an idiot and ask a question, but be smart and learn something. As I do know that parallel splits the load, but need to confirm on series.

And of course using steam-engine.org tools, resistance testers and ohms law to keep within safe limits.
So why does vgod put such low resistance coils (0.16 to 0.18 ohm) in their default package and suggested that dual coil setup to use in their product user guild, while it does not support 21700 and only comes with 18650 ?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So why does vgod put such low resistance coils (0.16 to 0.18 ohm) in their default package and suggested that dual coil setup to use in their product user guild, while it does not support 21700 and only comes with 18650 ?

0.16 ohm build at 4.2 volts will draw approx 26 amps. This is without taking into consideration voltage sag from the battery and voltage drop from the mech. There are not many, but there are 18650 cells in the 25 to 30 amp range. Samsung 20S would be an excellent choice (rated at 30 amp CDR).

It is not how many coils you have, it it their overall resistance that you need to pay attention to. Your dual 0.16 ohm coil build is just not suited for your current VTC6 battery. Either build with a higher resistance, or buy a battery that is better suited to a 0.16 build.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of 18650 mech mods. Looking at the complete timeline of vaping, 2x700 batteries are relativity new. Do not know much about Vgod, perhaps your model is older, and they decided to go with a more popular size battery at the time if it's release. 30 amp CDR is the maximum for a 18650 due to its size restrictions - which can handle a 16 ohm build.

Series mech (assuming 2 batteries) doubles the voltage, but keeps the same current. 8.4 volts into a 0.16 ohm build would be 52 amps, sans voltage drop and sag.

Parallel mech (assuming 2 batteries), retains the same voltage as a single cell, but the current is shared between 2 batteries. 4.2 volts with a 0.16 ohm build would then be ~ 13 amps per battery, sans voltage drop and sag.

• Agree
Reactions: gsmit1

Alasha

Mar 29, 2020
0.16 ohm build at 4.2 volts will draw approx 26 amps. This is without taking into consideration voltage sag from the battery and voltage drop from the mech. There are not many, but there are 18650 cells in the 25 to 30 amp range. Samsung 20S would be an excellent choice (rated at 30 amp CDR).

It is not how many coils you have, it it their overall resistance that you need to pay attention to. Your dual 0.16 ohm coil build is just not suited for your current VTC6 battery. Either build with a higher resistance, or buy a battery that is better suited to a 0.16 build.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of 18650 mech mods. Looking at the complete timeline of vaping, 2x700 batteries are relativity new. Do not know much about Vgod, perhaps your model is older, and they decided to go with a more popular size battery at the time if it's release. 30 amp CDR is the maximum for a 18650 due to its size restrictions - which can handle a 16 ohm build.

Series mech (assuming 2 batteries) doubles the voltage, but keeps the same current. 8.4 volts into a 0.16 ohm build would be 52 amps, sans voltage drop and sag.

Parallel mech (assuming 2 batteries), retains the same voltage as a single cell, but the current is shared between 2 batteries. 4.2 volts with a 0.16 ohm build would then be ~ 13 amps per battery, sans voltage drop and sag.
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. While I only have these prebuilt coils available and not familiar with coil making, it is okey that I applied just a single wire and tested the ohm, It was 0.33 when using dual setup it will drop to 0.16 ohm. So I decided to go with single coil setup with 0.33 ohm just to be safe, untill I purchase a proper 30A battery to be able to use 0.16 ohm dual coils setup. I just need to know if there is any thing wrong with this solution.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. While I only have these prebuilt coils available and not familiar with coil making, it is okey that I applied just a single wire and tested the ohm, It was 0.33 when using dual setup it will drop to 0.16 ohm. So I decided to go with single coil setup with 0.33 ohm just to be safe, untill I purchase a proper 30A battery to be able to use 0.16 ohm dual coils setup. I just need to know if there is any thing wrong with this solution.

Familiarize with Ohms Law. Google Ohms Law, there are millions of tutorials out there. I would suggest to learn the math, it is not difficult (basic grade school) but will give you a better understanding over just using a calculator. And when you do use a calculator, you will have a greater understanding over the values it gives.

0.33 ohms at 4.2 volts (full battery) would yield a ~13 amp current draw at roughly 53 watts. The VTC6 has a CDR rating of 15 amps, so 13 amps is within it's recommendation.

Do you have meter or a regulated mod that can check your builds resistance and ensure you do not have a short? You do not want to short circuit a mech. EVER!

Alasha

Mar 29, 2020
Familiarize with Ohms Law. Google Ohms Law, there are millions of tutorials out there. I would suggest to learn the math, it is not difficult (basic grade school) but will give you a better understanding over just using a calculator. And when you do use a calculator, you will have a greater understanding over the values it gives.

0.33 ohms at 4.2 volts (full battery) would yield a ~13 amp current draw at roughly 53 watts. The VTC6 has a CDR rating of 15 amps, so 13 amps is within it's recommendation.

Do you have meter or a regulated mod that can check your builds resistance and ensure you do not have a short? You do not want to short circuit a mech. EVER!
I check the ohm of my build on my smoke maggrip regulated device. I dont undrestand the short circuit part. How can I get sure of not having it? I am using a brand new default Rda which comes with the vgog mech pro 2 and it does come with a 510 pin. Is there any thing else that I should be sure of before firing my mech?

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
I check the ohm of my build on my smoke maggrip regulated device. I dont undrestand the short circuit part. How can I get sure of not having it? I am using a brand new default Rda which comes with the vgog mech pro 2 and it does come with a 510 pin. Is there any thing else that I should be sure of before firing my mech?
If a regulated mod says "short circuit" do not put that on a mech tube. Check to make sure the coils aren't touching the cap for instance.

Sometimes that message means the resistance is out of the range the mod will fire, but that shouldn't be this build. If possible try another mod.

In any case, get this sorted before putting it under your nose for sure.

Alasha

Mar 29, 2020
If a regulated mod says "short circuit" do not put that on a mech tube. Check to make sure the coils aren't touching the cap for instance.

Sometimes that message means the resistance is out of the range the mod will fire, but that shouldn't be this build. If possible try another mod.

In any case, get this sorted before putting it under your nose for sure.
Yes, I have checked tha coil not touching the cab neither the bottom side of the Rda. Regulated mod did not display any sort of message regarding circuit or any thing else, just show the ohm normally 0.33.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK

I unfortunately don't know @Alasha, but it certainly does raise saftey concerns and issues.

Because with single coil at those resistances, your within safe limits. But dual coil is just outright silly, as an accident will certainly happen eventually.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Bench Test Results: Samsung 20S 18650...hardest hitting 18650 right now, beats HB6 and VTC6A

Samsung 20S.jpeg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Also theres no 30A CDR (Constan Discharge Rate) 18650 batteries on the market, so beware. Only ones on the market are 21700's.

I know that THC (Thunder Head Creations) do tube mechs that use 21700 and I'm sure that others can come up with a few more as well.
There are definitely two or three 30a 18650s out there, but the one that punk listed above is the one you want. It's an amazing battery for mechs.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
@Alasha , you are very wise to ask questions and be patient... many good people here to help you (and even though I know a lot about electronics I've never had a mech and others here have actual experience) Just want to say that you can easily just use different coils (even dual coils) if they are suitable resistance. It would help if we knew where you are located (don't need to be specific... just general idea) You can order pre-wound coils for really cheap. OK... letting the experienced people give you the details about that now. Another option is to get a single coil RDA.

Reactions: Mordacai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread