Need help finding the right e-liquid & the proper nic strength...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG09

May 6, 2020
Hi!

Brand new here, and 1st off, just wanted to say thanks to everybody that has already reached out to welcome me, give me info., or just to say Hi! I really appreciate every message & it has made me feel so nice to be greeted so warmly & welcomed into the fold! :thumbs:

Ok...well, I am still dealing with so much confusion on everything, and have even more things to consider now based on the advice & tips I have been given here so far, or have read through on the different threads, but one thing that has really been giving me issues is re. the nic strength of the liquids/juice that I should be ordering...???

I was originally leaning towards a nic salt liquid, for several different reasons, but also because the disposables I have been using for about 1.5 years already use it, so it seemed to make sense to just continue with that style of juice, while I transitioned from the disposables to a different type of device.

However, I've been doing a ton of research, read the articles, fiddled with the calculators & mathematics of it all, talked to a couple different vape shops, as well as the manufacturers of some of the e-liquids, and yet EVERYBODY still seems to be telling me completely different things!!! :(

{*Side note ~ Re. Flavors = I am not looking for all those crazy flavors, or any of that… All I want is the MOST INTENSE, MINTY, MENTHOL, ICY, etc. liquid/e-juice possible (I think nic-SALTS liquid???)… No other flavors of tobacco or fruity stuff, etc., just straight MINTY/MENTHOL in the strongest, purest, coolest, most extreme form possible!!! ;P }

So, I had originally been thinking of primarily (or at least 1st starting out with) using the Halo SubZero Menthol Nic Salt e-liquid, which is offered in the following strengths:
= 3, 6, 12, 20, 35, & 50mg
*This flavor is also available in the regular (not salts) e-liquid, in the following formulations:
Either: High PG OR High VG
= 0, 3, 6, 12, 18, & 24mg

But, I think where the big problem or confusion comes in to play, is that my actual cigarette consumption rate is sooo far off from what I was having to use when vaping on the JUUL (5% nic salts), or VGOD STIG (6% nic salts), etc.!!!

So, basically, I had smoked cigarettes (primarily Camel Crush Menthol (green or black/green box), Marlboro Menthol Smooth (silver box w/ blue on top), Newport, or Parliament Menthol) for approx. 25 years, but was never actually a really heavy smoker, although I always preferred the stronger, or more full bodied type of cigarette (I could never do the ultra-lights, or slims, or anything like that!). I typically ranged between 0-2 cigarettes a day, unless I was out partying, or extremely stressed out, but never really more than a pack a week, if even that… However, I was never really able to quit, even though I wanted to. I had also tried the patch and gums before, but even at the lowest strength, those ended up making me feel extremely sick.

So, then about a year & a half ago, I got turned onto JUUL. At first I thought it was great, and on the PRO side of things, it did pretty much get me off cigarettes almost completely. However, there were a ton of things I didn’t like about it as well… First off, I can EASILY go through at least 1, or even 2 JUUL pods (at 5.0% nic. strength, which is “supposedly” equivalent to a pack of cigarettes each!?), in 1 DAY when I am studying or working! Coming from 25 years of barely smoking a ½-1 pack a week, that’s extremely disconcerting!!!

So, now I am ready to switch from JUUL & the other disposables to another, better option & device, and was originally thinking the Smok Nord (or Smok Nord 2?), but am reevaluating that now, based on another user's tip that they seem to be known for a having a lot of quality problems...? :cry:

But back to the e-liquid issue...

So, I am pretty much being told one of two main things (with a whole lot in between, which I won't list because it is just all over the place...), that are on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum...

1.) Since I was what would be classified as a very light smoker (1/2-1 pack a week), that I should start off at the lowest end, or approx. 3mg in either the nic salt, or regular e-liquids...but that the nic salts were way stronger, so that I may even have to think about mixing it with the 0mg reg. e-liquid at first.

2.) Since I have been using the JUUL, which contains a 5% nic salt liquid, then that would be approx. equal to a 50mg nic salt e-liquid, and if I was using 1+ pods a day, that I would definitely need to be on that high end for at least a little while, before trying to ramp down.

So, yeah, obviously SUPER FRUSTRATING!!! :-x

Then, once I figure all that out, I guess that helps to determine what wattage range my device should be in, and what ohm or type of coil to use??? But I have also been getting completely different information & answers on these points, as well...

It has just been so incredibly hard to try and find some real, true, concrete info. on what I would have thought were fairly basic specifications & facts...

So, if any of you e-liquid pro's out there can please help me out, I would really sooo appreciate it!!! :D

mzsVyKjvS_WwAzPNfAfZtBXi1CtlaAXKJmWNyeoeRCrqRnPCaxREnmWty2CfmlmHOFvfUln-lRTdZ1eznr0PjBat73cpMBRF9v0KogyJ0rU8Xq4IFY6HrRw-wSbx6jIGQ90I13vn

THANK YOU!!!

*BTW, you can check my past posts from my intro. for some more details, or shoot me any questions I can answer to help with your responses! Thx again!!! :p

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
you will have a hard time getting one solid concrete answer because their are so people, so many opinions. There also is not right way and no wrong way. We vape what works for each of us in the device that works for each of us. I have never used salts. Came from a pack a day smoker for 40 years to just regular nicotine and do fine. One thing is almost a given. Before you have settled on what works for you, you will have had to buy a few things to try out. Try out each one and decide what you liked and did not like.
PS, the more people you ask, the more opinions you will get. AND no one can read your specs and decide what is best for you. I would get away from the JUUL for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I wasn't sure about nic strength either. I took about four draws and waited until my body told me it wanted more, and I kept my vaporizer out of my line of sight.

I wanted the nic to last about an hour so changed the strength to get that. Much depends on the set-up and the drawing technique. My first juices were in the 24mg area. It worked. After a couple of months I dropped it down, but, that is what it took.

Good luck! Keep experimenting.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You are going to need to experiment. If you are used to nic salts, well you are. I would start with those, just because you are comfortable with them. I would start with a medium to low-ish premade juice, see how you do depending on your device and the style of vaping it gives you. Most things are somewhat higher powered than a Juul but not EVERYTHING. Also a fairly restricted MTL setup may be fairly comparable I just don't know.

I would buy a separate (nic only) probably 50/50 base, of 100 mg/ml and if it's not enough with your juices you can bump them up slowly over time until your super happy place. There are plenty of nic calculators that will let you know how to mix it to the desired strength, it's pretty easy to do.

Once you have figured out what is GOOD for you, at least in that setup, you have a starting point. I personally am gonna say unless you are DEEPLY subohming with a DL device, anything about 24 mg or so you don't so much need salt nic, you can switch to the cheaper freebase liquids IF You desire you certainly do not have to.

I would, at this point ,shut out all the white noise and figure it out on your OWN. You have been using 2 juul pods if I remember so the amount of cigarettes you once consumed is not really relevant at this point. Your nic level may start out higher but the nice thing is you will now have the ability to LOWER it slowly if you desire..

Just.... do not freak, do not freak out. Make what seems like a reasonable starting point and carry it out. IF you do not have enough nic, that is easy to remedy (Get a small amount of nic salts to add.) IF it is way too much nic, that can also be remedied, by a dilution of PG, VG or both.

Really. You will be fine. You will not hit your magic target on the first try. But START somewhere, anywhere and you will get to where you need to go. Make a plan and GO.

Anna

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
If I were smoking 2 cigs/day I'm not sure I'd bother with vaping, for which I'll get skewered no doubt.
I suspect Juul and high nic salts are very helpful for smokers looking to get off cigs. I did buy and try one, but I was way off cigs by then. I thought that the nic was a bit intense. I wasn't crazy about any of the flavors.
If you were only smoking cigs, then based on 2/day I would have suggested way low nic.
But, one+ Juul pod/day is a goodly amount of nic. Of course the old question is, is it the nic or the oral and/or hand-to-mouth stuff.
If it were I, I'd consider free base 12mg nic to start and see how it goes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know about the oft touted "every less cigarette you smoke" well, IDK it's true to an extent but also it's really not. Vaping is only effective if you really don't smoke, ever. The vascular damage done by smoking is done at 2 cigarettes a day, although I'm here to tell you if you get up to 3 ppd some of the vascular damage is irreversible.

It must be a "new factoid" you get taught in med, NP and PA school. I cannot tell you how many urgent cares I have entered where they go, "Ooooh.,... do you know what hammer fingers are?"

I am always like, "Sigh, yes, I DO I know it's vascular damage which is caused by smoking and it is irreversible, so they gonna BE like that, I know that TOO. But guess what, some things DO improve like cardia function OVERALL and also your lungs and you know why? Not gonna lie, I have smoked here and there, but well, I've been off those stinkies for X years now (depending on when I'd go) so why don't you tell me what I actually need to know, which is not about my splayed finger pads but how to treat the recluse bite on my FACE which is what NEEDS attention, thank you so much."

They always look like you kicked their "provider" stool from out of them spilling them onto the ground. SO DISAPPOINTED. Like, "OOOOOh *I* wanted to be the one to tell you smoking has caused irreversible damage."

Then, I tell them it makes me a better guitar player. I don't even really play. But they deserve it, dude.

So, IDK. That is what I have heard though, over and over and over again. Don't smoke. It leads to fat finger pads that may tingle a little on the end (which HAS to make for better guitar playing those strings are sharp.

Annaa

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
You did not smoke that much... why the heck did you go for a 50 mg Juul? I would understand if you smoked a pack a day, but even when I quit (pack a day) I only needed 18 mg. Now that you got used to that stronger nic vape, it's hard to say... I would recommend 12 mg. It also depends on what device you are using. A small MTL tank (or pod) is very different than a full blown DL "cloud chaser" so keep that in mind. What device do you have or do you plan on using?

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread