Need help rebuilding Aspire coil heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festizious

Mar 21, 2014
Washington
I'm new to the forums and not really sure if this is the right place to be dropping this question, maybe I'll post it in the clearo section as well, but I need some help. I'm rebuilding my Aspire BDC heads with 32ga Kanthal micro coils and they seem to shorting out on each other. I'm fairly new rebuilding coils but have a very good grasp on electronics and such. I have a mech mod with an RSST I've been rebuilding with great success, doing sub ohm builds (yes I do the math, I stay at about .5 ohms and use a sony vtc3 battery, safety is important) Only been vaping for about 2 months and just want to rebuild the heads in the Aspire I bought as a starter for fun and to save money (I still use my Aspire mini on my 1100mah ego twist clone when I'm out and about) I've rebuilt two different heads both with 32ga Kanthal. One had 10 wraps per coil (both coils) and came out two 2.5 ohms the other I did 6 wraps per coil (both coils) and it came out to 1.6 ohms. I use cotton as the wicking material The problem is the ohms seem to jump all over the place on my ohm meter signifying a short. It seems to me the legs from the upper coil are shorting on the lower coil. I know the manufacturer uses resistance no resistance wire for their coils and insulates the legs of the upper coil with some kind sleeve material. I've seen a few videos of people including Rip Tripper rebuild these heads and there appears to be no insulation between the upper and lower coil when they rebuild them. Am I missing something? The coils in my builds don't appear to be touching each other, any advice would be appreciated. I would really like to rebuild these with a dual coil if possible and not be limited to sticking a single coil in them. I rebuilt one with a single micro coil of 28ga Kanthal that came out to 1.5 ohms and it blew stock heads out of the water!. I don't want to stop there and would like to see what a GOOD dual coil build will do! Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

rustafar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Weeki Wachee, FL.
I've rebuilt my aspire head with a single coil and works great, didn't want to get in to the duel coils touching and shorting out on me.Not enough space for me to duel coil safely. I wrapped a 8 wrap 32 ga. coil around 1.5-1.8. I've had too many aspire heads burn a coil and the resistance climbs to high to use.
Good Luck.

Festizious

Mar 21, 2014
Washington
Use cotton or silica? I tried and failed many times trying this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use cotton for for the wicks I didn't have any silica on hand but wrapping micro coils likely wouldn't have used it anyway. I re posted this question the clearomizers sub forum because it went MIA for me. Anyway, thought of a solution in that thread I'm going to give a try later tonight when I have a chance.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-help-rebuilding-aspire-bdc-heads-please.html

Ease

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I've had no luck (or skill) rebuilding these, single or dual coil. My single coils all flood and/or leak within 24 hours, and my dual coil ones get too tight of a draw too quickly. Just not worth the time for me to get a day at best. I did rebuild one dual coil that only lasted about 3 hours but was the best 3 hours of vape I ever got off the aspire.

Festizious

Mar 21, 2014
Washington
I have a fix we came to in the clearomizer thread. I'm going to try it out right now, gonna break out the recoiling gear. Hopefully it works with some carefull assembly as I'm running low on 32ga Kanthal and I think getting enough turns on 28ga (which I have a TON of) would be difficult to fit in the barrel if I want to use dual coils to get the resistance above 1.5 ohms. It'll be a bit of an experiment but if it works I'll re-post the fix in this thread as well.

Festizious

Mar 21, 2014
Washington
Well after burning through a few feet of Kanthal I had some mixed results. So I tried draping the Kendall Packing Strip over the lower coil on the first build and left to much hanging down the barrel, it cut off the air flow something awefull and burnt the strip resulting some wonderfull flavor :p The Pin must have wadded the excess material up when it was pushed in. I had three heads to work with so built another this time draping just enough to cover the coil and let maybe 2mm or so hang over the coil. Each coil was 8 wraps of 32ga Kanthal with a cotton wick. The picture included is what the coil looked like with the material draped over. This head tested out at 1.3 ohms and vaped like a champion! for about an hour. I have a tendency to chain vape and started to get the burnt flavor again. I pulled the head apart and the packing strip materiel was discolored. I figured it wasn't getting enough juice wicked to it fast enough when I would chain vape. The next head I built exactly the same but put a VERY thin strand of cotton wick over the lower coil to serve as a wick for the strip material. This head also tested out at 1.3 ohms and vaped GREAT! No shorts! very good flavor and excellent vapor production far better than the stock heads. I'm going to rebuild the rest of my heads this way maybe tinker a little more but thus far pretty happy with the results, just be sure to boil the packing material first. I tried it with a piece that had just been rinsed out just for giggles and lets just say the flavor was not fantastic. I took lots of photos along the way and think I'll put the build into blog format later when I have the time.

IMAG0700_1.jpg

Last edited:

Festizious

Mar 21, 2014
Washington
The above mentioned Kendall Packing Strips was mentioned in my other thread here's the info and a link to the the thread also to PaulBHC's Blog who was very helpfull I very much appreciated his efforts and time.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-help-rebuilding-aspire-bdc-heads-please.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/paulbhc/5937-need-help-rebuilding-aspire-bdc-heads.html

While rebuilding one of the heads I misplaced the gauze like wrap that goes around the head containing the coils going between the cap. Being a first responder I have lots of medical supplies laying around and found these to be a pretty suitable substitute for anyone looking to replace theirs that have been damaged/lost or worn out. They are 100% cotton to boot. I had the 1/2" strips on hand and had to cut them in half and they fit perfectly so the 1/4" strips should be perfect. I had no gurgling or flooding on my single coil build using this material and it seems to wick fantastically.

IMAG0690.jpg

Amazon.com: CURITY Plain Packing Strip - 1/4 x 5 Yds - Plain - Bottle - Each: Health & Personal Care

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Best result I've had with rebuilding my Aspire Coils is using a pair of thick paper clips or you can use the #18 yarn darners you can buy at Walmart in the crafting section of the store, they come in a pack of 6 to 7 #14 to #18 in size as my braces. Coil them, set into place, the tug and snug them up, generally twist the legs into 2 sets before seating the insulator grommet and positive pin, then when snugged in, remove the braces, and thread in some cotton, carefully get the carto-filler strip evenly distributed around the top barrel and seat the barrel on the coil cup. It's not impossible, just a little fidgety to do rebuilding an Aspire BCD coil, an Aspire Nautilus coil even more of a pain and limited to a single coil. Tried 1/16th inch drill bit method I generally use on my Protank and other Kanger rebuilds, but the coils are to wide in diameter and short out on each other then, so started moving toward the nano-coil diameters or a happy medium between a nano diameter and micro diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread