Need help with 100mg/ml nicotine for DIY liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone;

I'm starting to make my own liquids because I'm afraid my current supplier is going out of business. I bought liquid nicotine, 100mg/ml and have stored most of it while putting some in a 10ml bottle with the thin dropper top. Here's my quandry:

Every blasted calculator I see wants me to use a PG base of so much percentage of nicotine. What I am looking for is a calculator that shows me how many DROPS of this liquid nicotine to add to a bottle of flavored eliquid to get the specific nicotine levels.

For example, I was told by a vape shop in Dallas that they use this same nicotine and in a 30ml bottle of prepared liquid they use twice the number of drops of nicotine as the desired mg amount. Explaining it in a way that makes more sense is that for a 30ml bottle that is desired to have 18mg nicotine, they use 36 drops of this 100/100 nicotine.

Does this sound right to everyone? All of the calculators I am seeing are like they are written by someone who was born with algorithms falling out of their mouths. I don't want to make nicotine BASE. I want to add a number of drops of nicotine to a bottle of liquid that is otherwise ready to go.

Little help, anyone?

Angie :confused:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Drops vary from dripper to dripper, as well as by how thick the liquid is. I would recommend getting a syringe with ml markings, maybe a 5ml one, so that you can measure this more consistently. 100mg nic is powerful stuff and I wouldn't take a chance on drops being accurate.

I wouldn't trust a vape shop that says they use drops either - that's not a very safe way to make accurate nic percentages for their customers.

Last edited:
Okay, I can live with that; I have lots of syringes. I want to make 18mg, 12mg and 6mg liquids. I have pure PG, I have pure VG. I have all the flavor concentrates. I have the liquid nicotine and yes, I am fully cognizant of the dangerous nature of it. I would be making 30ml bottles; if I need 10ml bottles, I'll just pour one of the 30's into three of the 10's. But my question remains; how much nicotine to how much PG or VG to make the levels I need? I don't use thin liquids; most of my stuff is 80%VG or higher, I really wanted to just be able to add the nicotine directly to the prepared and flavored liquid instead of having a bunch of big bottles of different nicotine level liquids, but it is beginning to appear that I'm not going to be able to get solid information about how I can do that. The calculators I'm finding are laid out in language that is ridiculously complicated; perhaps you have found a calculator that was not written by someone with a need to appear more intelligent than they really are by way of making me feel stupid, lol??

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Basics -
nicotine is measured in mg per ml. 100mg nicotine is 10%

If you want a 30ml bottle of 6mg nicotine -
30x6=180 total nicotine divided by 100mg Base=1.8ml

If you want a 30ml bottle of 12mg nicotine -
30x12=360 divided by 100mg Base=3.6ml

If you want a 30ml bottle of 18mg -
30x18=540 divided by 100mg base=5.4ml

Never use drops to measure nicotine

Reactions: sunnyskyez

SweeneyTodd79

Oct 21, 2014
Michigan
AZPlumber's numbers are cleaner... but this was just hipshot math---

Well, 100mg/ml

1ml nic + 3 ml PG/VG = (100/4ml) = 25mg
1ml nic + 7ml PG/VG = (100/8ml) = 12.5mg
1ml nic + 15 ml PG/VG = (100/16ml) = 6.25mg

You can do these as exact measurements, or as ratios using a consistent measuring tool, whether it is a syringe or other tool, though using a syringe with markings is probably safest.

3:1 (3 measures of flavor/solution to 1 nic) --- 30/4 = 7.5ml so 7.5 ml nic, 22.5 ml flavor mix (Pg/Vg) (3x 7.5)
7:1 (7 to one) --- 30/8 = 3.75ml so 3.75 ml nic, 26.25ml of flavor mix (Pg/Vg) (7X3.75ml)
(.75 ml is a pain to measure... so 4 ml nic + 4*7=28ml other... and use the last 2 ml as a tester.)
15:1 (15 to one) --- 30/16 = 1.875 ml. Easiest way to achieve his is 2ml Nic, 30ml other (2x15) ... and use the last 2 ml to test in your favorite rig.

Last edited:
Take a look at this calculator: DIY E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors With Nic. - PG/VG Adjust Even at 100% Nicotine Isn't it either a PG base or a VG base? Most people use a PG bassed Nicotine. You will Have to get VG and PG base that has no nicotine. You say you have all the flovers. Then you end up with somethin like this for a Recipe:

Amaretto Tobacco Recipe

Nicotine Strength e-Juice PG 66.67%VG 33.33%30mg/ML << The calculator lets you choose The % of PG and VG from 0 - 100 0n each. As you change the editable field it changes the other. I could have made this 100MG Nic and 100%PG. The entire calculation would change but it would still work.
Target Nicotine Strength 18mg <<<<Choose the target Nic strength you want.
Amount to Make 5ml <<<< The amount you want to make
Capella Amaretto PG 100%VG 0% <Flavors are they PG or VG?
F. A. Red Type Tobacco PG 100%VG 0% <SAA

Nicotine eJuice PG - 66.67 %. VG-33.33% 30MG/ML @ 3ml 60 Drops 60% These are the calculated results.
PG 70% 0.5ml 10 Drops 10%
VG 30% 0.5ml 10 Drops 10%
Capella Amaretto 0.5ml 10 Drops 10%
F. A. Red Type Tobacco 0.5ml 10 Drops 10%
Don't use drops use measuring paraphenalia. (Already covered by others but Drops vary by a number of factors. There is a whole Chemistry lecture on that topic that I won't go into but trust me it's true).

Never ever use Vegetable oil as a replacement for VG (See Lipid pnumonia)
Vodka is not a replacement for PG
For both PG and VG use Pharma Grade not anything else even food grade. Even if it is 99.9% pure food grade that .15 could be bad for you. See popcorn lung as an example.

That's just a down and dirty of the most important things I remember. Look at some of my other threads as I am only days ahead of you in figuring this out.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
For example, I was told by a vape shop in Dallas that they use this same nicotine and in a 30ml bottle of prepared liquid they use twice the number of drops of nicotine as the desired mg amount. Explaining it in a way that makes more sense is that for a 30ml bottle that is desired to have 18mg nicotine, they use 36 drops of this 100/100 nicotine.

Does this sound right to everyone?

Getting back to your original question, their estimate is far off. Let's assume that 30 drops from your 10ml bottle is 1ml. That would mean that in order to get approximately 18mg, you would need about 5.4 ml of 100mg nic, or 5.4 x 30 drops, which comes out to 162 drops, not 36. The person who told you that is in need of some serious mixing education.

There is a fairly accurate way to use drops/ml. As each dripper varies, you would want to use that same bottle and tip each time, and measure how many drops make a ml with that specific nic liquid. Once you know that, it can be used with quite a bit of consistency. I used 30 drops in my example above, but in my experience it can vary from the low 20's to the upper 30's depending on the tip and liquid. Any change in the tip and liquid would require you to re-measure the number of drops/ml to be consistent.

Of course, you will need something that you can accurately fill to 1ml, so a syringe or small pipette with markings is still needed to start. Once you have established your drops/ml ratio, you're good to go!

I've copied and pasted this whole thread to a Word Doc for my recipe book.I'll start on a few tomorrow and use myself as the guinea pig, lol. Really appreciate the help; it's always best to get info from other people who've done these things successfully rather than relying on hearsay from a vape shop five hours away...

I should have mentioned that this vape shop is using an old school ketchup dispenser (like the red ones in cheap restaurants) for those 'drop' measurements. That's when I started wondering, since those would be really big drops as compared to anything I would be using. I do have several sizes of syringes and half a dozen gauges of blunt needles, so I'm going to give it a go now that I am more comfortable with the ratios.

The nicotine I have is PG based and my PG and VG are USP Kosher.

If the thread has been moved, I will need a redirect to the location; this is a really huge site and there is no chance I will be able to find it on my own once I post this and close the window for the evening...

Thanks VERY much for all your help! So glad I joined the forum!

Sandron419

Aug 5, 2014
Toledo, OH
I've copied and pasted this whole thread to a Word Doc for my recipe book.I'll start on a few tomorrow and use myself as the guinea pig, lol. Really appreciate the help; it's always best to get info from other people who've done these things successfully rather than relying on hearsay from a vape shop five hours away...

I should have mentioned that this vape shop is using an old school ketchup dispenser (like the red ones in cheap restaurants) for those 'drop' measurements. That's when I started wondering, since those would be really big drops as compared to anything I would be using. I do have several sizes of syringes and half a dozen gauges of blunt needles, so I'm going to give it a go now that I am more comfortable with the ratios.

The nicotine I have is PG based and my PG and VG are USP Kosher.

If the thread has been moved, I will need a redirect to the location; this is a really huge site and there is no chance I will be able to find it on my own once I post this and close the window for the evening...

Thanks VERY much for all your help! So glad I joined the forum!

That is completely ridiculous they make juice that way. And irresponsible. I would not only stop buying there immediately but I would let others in your area know what they are doing and encourage them not to buy there as well. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread