Need help with DIY E-LIQUIDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannielle.c92

Sep 21, 2018
Nevada
I'm some what new to vaping. I want to try to make my own ejuice . I was on one website to choose my ingredients in a diy kit. It had a choice for nicotine 150ml/48mg PG blend or
150ml-48mg VG blend. I want to make my own at a 70vg/30pg with either 3mg or 6mg nicotine...if I want my end result to be 70vg/30pg... what type of nicotine base do I purchase 48mg/PG or 48mg/VG?

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Whatever you prefer. At 3mg nicotine using 48mg only about 1/20th of your recipe will be nic juice. So a 30 mil finished bottle with 3mg of nic will only use 1.8 mils of your 48mg nic. But if you want higher vg might as well get it in vg it will keep your bulk bottle from running out as fast.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm pretty new to diy myself and asked the same question. Most answered get pg because it is thinner and easier to handle and use, flows easily. I "messed up" some how and got vg base nic instead and will make sure to get pg nic base next time because the vg is so thick it is difficult to drip from a dropper. Not too much of a challenge but harder and takes more time none the less.
Definitely find an eliquid calculator and both vg and pg with no nic and mix em all up till you get the right ratio :).
There are places that sell the ratio of vg pg you want with the nic level you want, like 70/30 3mg nic, butthat will be more expensive. Not hard to get pg, vg, and nic base separately and mix them to the ratio you want based on an eliq calculator.
Good luck, it's so easy.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
What's a good website to buy the nicotine, VG/PG & the flavorings from ?
Some of the favorites are nudnicotine, nicotine river, heartland, to just name a few. Lots of members shop around to get the lowest prices. You can also get pg and vg from amazon. Most used essential depot(they sell on amazon) and also have sales on their website for the gallon versions.
What ever you buy make sure it all says USP on the labels..

I am sure others will be along to offer more vendors. Vaperstek is good and offer both a smooth nic(cost more) and a throat hit nic(cost less). I like a smooth, clear, clean nic, but some members gotta have that throat hit....lol

:)

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I used to get my nicotine from myfreedomsmokes and it was fine but then I had to get the flavorings from TFA to get the sizes I wanted.
Now I get my nicotine and flavorings from nicotine river because it’s cheaper and I can get everything from one place. I just get the 50/50 pg/vg 36 mg nicotine and use the flavoring to dilute it down to 20 something mg’s. I’m lazy and don’t like math so that’s the easiest way for me. I don’t care about precision or accuracy that much so I just paint a line on my 60ml bottles and fill flavoring to the line and fill the rest with my nicotine base. Easy peazy

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm pretty new to diy myself and asked the same question. Most answered get pg because it is thinner and easier to handle and use, flows easily. I "messed up" some how and got vg base nic instead and will make sure to get pg nic base next time because the vg is so thick it is difficult to drip from a dropper. Not too much of a challenge but harder and takes more time none the less.
Definitely find an eliquid calculator and both vg and pg with no nic and mix em all up till you get the right ratio :).
There are places that sell the ratio of vg pg you want with the nic level you want, like 70/30 3mg nic, butthat will be more expensive. Not hard to get pg, vg, and nic base separately and mix them to the ratio you want based on an eliq calculator.
Good luck, it's so easy.
These bottles are great for base vg or pg. I didn't have to trim the dripper for vg at all and they don't leak.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KNBLW5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
These bottles are great for base vg or pg. I didn't have to trim the dripper for vg at all and they don't leak.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KNBLW5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have those bottles, you told me about them previously. Only got a relatively small amount of nic base so just going out of the original bottle so far, and my pg came in a bottle with a "squirt" cap, so only using one of the oaklyn bottles for vg. In the future, I will mix up some base to the ratios I want, but right now I've been making liquid for a couple others with various nic and vg pg ratios.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have those bottles, you told me about them previously. Only got a relatively small amount of nic base so just going out of the original bottle so far, and my pg came in a bottle with a "squirt" cap, so only using one of the oaklyn bottles for vg. In the future, I will mix up some base to the ratios I want, but right now I've been making liquid for a couple others with various nic and vg pg ratios.
So obviously my memory is lacking. I mix for others as well. I keep my go to base and Meg's go to bases mixed up in those bottles. I keep my lower nic base I don't use as often often in a 240ml bottle. Keep straight vg in the larger bottle as well. Pg stays in the 1 liter bottle it comes in since I use so little.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Once you get some of the information in the DIY area down (primarily how to use a juice calculator, find one that you need, whether you prefer to mix by weight or volume (both have advantages) some of this stuff should start making sense.

Some people buy a kit, it is not strictly necessary but some folks find it helpful. I got most of my supplies from Nicotine River at first I still like them as a vendor but I've branched out a bit. There are tons of great vendors so start small and branch out as you progress.

I made sure to not overcomplicate things to much and to start small and simple. I am glad I did although it was a slower startup for me, (time wise) since I started with single flavors and determining steeping times. You can also get some one shot flavors if you want they are usually shake and vape (immediately vapable, no steeping (or waiting) at all, as well as some flavor combinations that seem potentially nice and easy to combine.

Good luck in your endeavors, DIY can be tons of fun!

Anna

Reactions: sdennislee

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've bought 100mg/mL nic base in 100% VG from all of these vendors and have been very pleased with the quality of it from all of them:

Heartland Vapes
Nicotine Giant (formerly RTS Vapes)
Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers
Wizard Labs
Nude Nicotine

I've always bought my gallon jugs of PG & VG from Bulk Apothecary online. The total price (cost + S/H) usually always beats out the other vendors, and they often have coupon codes during sales, too. It's always USP and the quality is great, IMO and those of many others on ECF and local DIYers I know.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I'm partial to getting nic in VG, since I think VG ages better.. No noticeable change at all.

I wrote elsewhere that I had ancient 7 or 8 year old PG & VG (for other uses). I found that the PG tasted and smelled god-awful (and got even more awful after I stopped using it for vape - taking on a truly 'fumy' type smell - just wretched). However, the ancient VG was still perfectly fine. Both were never stored in fridge or freezer.

Another benefit is that in-VG nic will absorb much slower if you get any on your skin... Which might be more of a concern if you were getting 100mg/ml. If you're concerned about the viscosity, just use a syringe without a dispensing tip on it to suck it up. Especially if you got the 100mg/ml stuff, you'll need to draw up very little anyways, at 3/6mg (or otherwise) ending product. ... To make it easier, I use a 4oz wide-mouth canning jar with plastic lid for my 'in-use' nic.

I get my nic from Hartland, VG/PG in four 1-gallon 'gly cubes' from Essential Depot, and flavoring from Hartland, Wizard Labs, and Bull City Flavors. (Bull City Vapor changed their name to Bull City Flavors, presumably in light of the 'intent' clause from the FDA idiots.)

An awesome free calculator is in my sig, but for a beginner, something like EjuiceMeUp might be easier to start out with (albeit quickly becoming a supreme PITA).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread