Need help with Kayfun Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
Hi noob here. I picked up an Infinite kayfun Lite from my B&M today. It was already coiled and wicked so I thought I was good to go. Got it home and put it on my MVP. It was reading NON so I figured to unscrew the center pin a bit. It was reading ohms so saturated the wick, test fired, and put it back together. I filled it and started to puff on it. After a few I was getting burnt cotton. I drained the tank and opened it up and noticed that one piece where the coil screws on was moving. I figured out this was directly related to the center pin. I screwed it back in but the MVP does not read it like this.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I am going to stop by the shop tomorrow and ask what's up, but wanted to try here first. Thanks in advance.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I think most version if the kayfuns, the center pin actually holds the positive side of the deck on. Loosening that will loosen the deck and jack up your build. I hear the v2 doesn't do this, but not sure.
But like the last guy said, tighten it up and try again.

With rebuildables it's always smart to test your builds before you start assembling the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hi noob here. I picked up an Infinite Kayfun Lite from my B&M today. It was already coiled and wicked so I thought I was good to go. Got it home and put it on my MVP. It was reading NON so I figured to unscrew the center pin a bit. It was reading ohms so saturated the wick, test fired, and put it back together. I filled it and started to puff on it. After a few I was getting burnt cotton. I drained the tank and opened it up and noticed that one piece where the coil screws on was moving. I figured out this was directly related to the center pin. I screwed it back in but the MVP does not read it like this.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I am going to stop by the shop tomorrow and ask what's up, but wanted to try here first. Thanks in advance.
The MVP has a overly deep 510 positive pin... on the order of .020"-.030" deeper than most any other fixed pin PV. When combined with a non-adjustable atty pin, which also happens to hold the positive block in place on the deck... you've got problems. ;-)

The most permanent fix is to file, grind or otherwise machine down the 510 ground collet and beauty ring on the MVP. This will, in effect raise the 510 positive pin higher in it's bore. I've done this on over a dozen (that's not a typo... over a dozen) MVPs so far.

The temporary fix is to gently pry the MVP 510 pin up with a flat blade jeweler's screwdriver.

The next fix (maybe) is to contact Fat Daddy Vapes... and see if one of his center post kits will fit your Infinite.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
I wish I could rebuild the coil. I bought the kayfun to learn but would you believe I forgot to buy kanthal and cotton. I was in a rush and wasn't even at the shop to buy it. It called my name though! I thought if it was setup already it was plug and play. Stupid me.

As for the MVP, I was thinking that was the problem. I have an ipv2 on order. I might as well just wait till it gets here and maybe practice making coils in the meantime!

Thanks for the replies!

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
What "State O' Flux' told you ....

After the center pin on your Kayfun is tightened down, the little pin in the center of the 510 connection on the bottom of the atomizer needs to stick out slightly farther than the threaded area on the outside of that center pin.

If it don't, unscrew that center pin, remove it, and file down the threaded area slightly.

The photo below shows you what it should look like (center pin sticking out slightly)

IMG_0002.jpg

Can't see it real good on that photo above ... Here is another that shows it better (this atomizer is not a Kayfun, but this is basically how that center pin should look on your Kayfun):

AerotankMegaCenterPin.jpg

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
likwidkool ....

To be perfectly honest with you ... Until you learn the in's and out's of all this vaping, you would be better off just buying yourself a nice Kanger Aerotank Mini and an adjustable voltage Kanger eVod Twist battery.

Easy to use, and when you need to replace the coil / wick assembly, you just unscrew it and screw back in a new coil pack ... nothing to it! :)

You can buy the coil / wick assemblies in blister packs of 5 (and they last a long time).

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Here is what I'm talkin about:

Save your rebuildable Kayfun for use later, and get this until you understand what's going on with these rebuildable atomizers.

This is a sweet setup!

And even when you start using your Kayfun RBA, you can use this for a back-up ... also great to use when you go out of the house shopping or something like that (this setup weighs much less than that Kayfun setting on top of a heavy 22mm mechanical mod).

KangerMini.jpg

Last edited:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
B&M should have sold you wick and wire with the kayfun... lost opportunity for them costing you a return trip... sorry about your luck. I wish they were better about explaining the device to people, but I guess if they went through the hole thing you would have been on information overload.. They should have tested it out on an MVP first... :S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
I think the guy figured I knew what I was doing. I knew all the right things to ask I guess. They are a really good shop and have helped me a lot so far. Figure I'll stop in there tomorrow and see what they say.

As for the center pin, mine does not stick out at all. I tried to get a good pic but it doesn't show well. I have an MVP and nautilus and this has served me well but I want to start learning more. I love the tinkering aspect of vaping and asked around and was suggested to pick up a kayfun to learn on. I read a ton on the forums and across the net. Watch a ton of you tube videos and learned all the safety tips. Thought it was time to take the plunge.
To me this is just a minor set back. I learned to build computers the same way. I did my research and ordered all the parts. Sat at my kitchen table and worked at it until it booted up. With a year I was soldering voltage mods to the motherboard and gpu and water cooling my overclocked CPU. I can't help but try and get the most of out of hobby! :)

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
You'll be fine Likwidkool. I have every faith you'll be up and vaping in no time. Just take all the precautions when it comes to making the proper ohm's for your device so as not to short it out. Stay in the 1.2-3 ohm region when using on an regulated mod. If you have a mech you can go lower and it'll fire bit you'll need to be sure to know about battery safety and all it encompasses when something goes wrong. Good luck to you and let us know how things work out for ya.<br><br>The center pin you posted, is that how it came? It should be a little further out, not much, for it to make a proper connection. I'm looking at mine in comparison and they are just a hair past the casing so as to make a clean connection with the battery/mods 510 pin. You may have to unscrew 1/2 to a full turn to get it right.

Last edited:

coaldriller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
West Virginia
You'll be fine Likwidkool. I have every faith you'll be up and vaping in no time. Just take all the precautions when it comes to making the proper ohm's for your device so as not to short it out. Stay in the 1.2-3 ohm region when using on an regulated mod. If you have a mech you can go lower and it'll fire but you'll need to be sure to know about battery safety and all it encompasses when something goes wrong. Good luck to you and let us know how things work out for ya.

The center pin you posted, is that how it came? It should be a little further out, not much, for it to make a proper connection. I'm looking at mine in comparison and they are just a hair past the casing so as to make a clean connection with the battery/mods 510 pin. You may have to unscrew 1/2 to a full turn to get it right.
The kl+ center pin is not adjustable. If it is unscrewed any, you positive block will not be tight and you will have a good chance on it rotating on you, causing problems that you do not want.. The only Kayfun that you can adjust is the 3.1. (none other)

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
You'll be fine Likwidkool. I have every faith you'll be up and vaping in no time. Just take all the precautions when it comes to making the proper ohm's for your device so as not to short it out. Stay in the 1.2-3 ohm region when using on an regulated mod. If you have a mech you can go lower and it'll fire but you'll need to be sure to know about battery safety and all it encompasses when something goes wrong. Good luck to you and let us know how things work out for ya.

The center pin you posted, is that how it came? It should be a little further out, not much, for it to make a proper connection. I'm looking at mine in comparison and they are just a hair past the casing so as to make a clean connection with the battery/mods 510 pin. You may have to unscrew 1/2 to a full turn to get it right.
Thanks DentraMental!

Yeah like coal driller said when I try and adjust the center pin the positive post comes loose. That's when I started running into issues. I'm just gonna stop by the shop on the way home tomorrow and see what they say.

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
So I returned to the shop. They had no more lite's but swapped it out for a 3.1 with some kanthal and free juice. I checked it before it left the shop and it worked fine. They had it coiled to .8ohms which to me is ridiculous on my MVP. After I got home and a few puffs later it wouldn't fire and read .7 ohms. So I figured let's try to wrap a coil for this bad boy. Well an hour later my coil read 2.2ohms. I was shooting for 1.5!! D'oh! I did 9 wraps with 28g kanthal. I believe it was on a 3mm screw driver but not positive. The one I have is only marked #3 but it was bigger then my 2mm one. I wicked it, test fired and and all seemed well. Put it together and filled it a bit. Hit awesome for about 10 puffs and then tasted burning cotton. I guess I didn't wick it right. Gonna give it another go after my wife leaves for work!

jezuvu8e.jpg
ugyna8yd.jpg

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Here's the best pic of the center pin I can get.

gu3y8ety.jpg

Both the outer negative ground (threaded part) and the inner positive 'hot' pin are both going to make contact with your batteries positive "hot" contact

NO GOOD !

Again, it needs to look like the pin in the photo I posted above

Last edited:

likwidkool

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Jersey City, NJ USA
Both the outer negative ground and the inner positive 'hot' pin are both going to make contact with your batteries positive "hot" contact

NO GOOD !
That was the old kayfun lite. I got a new 3.1 and the center pin looks like it should. The new one sticks out a hair and fires perfectly.

As for the dry hits. I think I put to much cotton. Gonna pull it apart and use a little less this time. And also pay more attention to the juice channels. Thanks!

I know my camera sucks, but how do the coils look for my first build? If I want to go a bit lower which would work better? Fewer wraps or smaller diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread