Status
Not open for further replies.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
On my husband's Reo Grand we are having an issue. It seems like maybe it is getting WAY, WAY, too hot. The spring that touches the battery on the bottom is getting hot. I don't mean warm, I actually now have a blister on my thumb where I touched it not realizing how hot it was and the spring has now changed color and is staying compressed. On the top part where the button connects with the little metal piece that touches the battery melted onto the metal piece and was stuck to it. Has anyone ever experienced this? We used 4.8 v Nihm batteries and I was wondering if this could have caused it. I also have a Grand and am now wondering if I should not be using these batteries. I know a lot of people use these batteries so i am wondering why his melted? Thanks for your help.

wongster360

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Washington
On my husband's Reo Grand we are having an issue. It seems like maybe it is getting WAY, WAY, too hot. The spring that touches the battery on the bottom is getting hot. I don't mean warm, I actually now have a blister on my thumb where I touched it not realizing how hot it was and the spring has now changed color and is staying compressed. On the top part where the button connects with the little metal piece that touches the battery melted onto the metal piece and was stuck to it. Has anyone ever experienced this? We used 4.8 v Nihm batteries and I was wondering if this could have caused it. I also have a Grand and am now wondering if I should not be using these batteries. I know a lot of people use these batteries so i am wondering why his melted? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like something caused a short in that Grand, don't use it again until the bottom spring can be replaced. Those are designed to compress just once if there's a short in the mod. (The short causes the spring to get real hot and compress like that) It may have something to do with the battery that was inside that Grand as well. I wouldn't use that either. Replace that bottom spring and if it happens again, it may be time to send it in to Rob to have him check it out.

whatitstrue

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/199597-what-causes-short.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/209964-warning-re-hybrid-bottom-feeder-atties-vapage-reo-mods.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/240066-hybrid-attys-question.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/211917-my-batt-too-big.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/207973-spring-just-collapsed.html

Theses are threads from the Spring Collapse & Shorts section of the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/270331-free-reo-forum-thread-index.html thread

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Yes, a short! My grand melted it's button on top from a bad atty that was shorted internally...compressed the spring too. This was on the regular 3.7 IMR AW batteries but it could happen w/ any battery so I wouldn't say that's it. Check that atty w/ a volt meter. If that's it, then just pitch it and use a new one...oh, and pitch that melted battery too...don't want to chance it at all if that's the shape it's in.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hello Karla send the unit to me I will go through the unit . I cant say over the net the cause of the problem until I open the mod and inspect the mod .I look at the gasket in a mod if the gasket is intact with no breaks I no it was a atomizer - cartomizer . If I find it was the mod and not a user problem like using a adapter with improper setup there is no charge I repair it and send the unit back.

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Way, way, way, way back, in 2010, I had an atty short and melt the button on a first run Grand, but surprisingly the spring didn't collapse. I actually opened the black box and filed the button off and used it till Robert "made" me send it in. The turn around was amazingly fast!!!! Now days I keep several extra springs as the Resurector and regular Smoktech cartos are known to have shoddy insulators between the positive and negative and do occasionally short out and collapse springs. Here's what a collapsed spring will looks like. The spring that has done its job collapsing will always be discolored even if it doesn't collapse all the way.

Send the offending atty/carto back with REO if at all possible.

Reo_Mini_Collapsed_Spring6-8-2011.jpg

*~Peace~*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Oklahoma
Thank you for the picture. I was wondering what they looked like when they did collapse.
Way, way, way, way back, in 2010, I had an atty short and melt the button on a first run Grand, but surprisingly the spring didn't collapse. I actually opened the black box and filed the button off and used it till Robert "made" me send it in. The turn around was amazingly fast!!!! Now days I keep several extra springs as the Resurector and regular Smoktech cartos are known to have shoddy insulators between the positive and negative and do occasionally short out and collapse springs. Here's what a collapsed spring will looks like. The spring that has done its job collapsing will always be discolored even if it doesn't collapse all the way.

Send the offending atty/carto back with REO if at all possible.

Reo_Mini_Collapsed_Spring6-8-2011.jpg

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys. I will read that what causes a short link right now. Could an adapter do it? He said he thinks it may have happened when he used a 510-510 adapter. I know, why would he use an adapter on a Reo. :glare: and I am the blonde?:laugh:

Adapters have been known to be the culprit many times. Here is a post from Robert on adapters:

If your going to use & adapter witch is use at your own risk . I put the adapters on my atomizer before screwing it on to my mod.The bottom of your adapter should look like the bottom of a standard atomizer. The center pin should be just about flush.If you set your adapter up properly you wont short the mod. You should snug atomizers on your mods never wrench them on tight there is no need to. If one doesn't understand the mechanics of the adapter you shouldn't be using one. I will set up adapters for anyone send your atomizer of choice and I will set up the adapter for you .All I ask is you pay the return postage

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
Hello Karla send the unit to me I will go through the unit . I cant say over the net the cause of the problem until I open the mod and inspect the mod .I look at the gasket in a mod if the gasket is intact with no breaks I no it was a atomizer - cartomizer . If I find it was the mod and not a user problem like using a adapter with improper setup there is no charge I repair it and send the unit back.

Thank you!! I actually think it was probably more likely user error. He used an adapter and after reading some of those posts linked I have a feeling it was that adapter. Is there any way we can buy another button from you along with a spring? It has been working fine since he took the adapter off so I think if he just replaces those and doesn't use that adapter it should be OK. I really appreciate it. You always offer such great customer service.:)

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Thanks guys. I will read that what causes a short link right now. Could an adapter do it? He said he thinks it may have happened when he used a 510-510 adapter. I know, why would he use an adapter on a Reo. :glare: and I am the blonde?:laugh:

I had one Mini that was from a batch where some of the fittings were giving some people some problems. It was new and giving me fits as several 510 wouldn't fire on it although they were firing on other REOs. So I put a set of 510-901-510 adapters on it (that's all I had a the time and the short 510-510 were not available yet.) After a few tokes the spring collapsed. I avoid using adapters on the REOs most of the time but I do like to use a 901 atty sometimes so an adapter is required. I haven't had a 510-901 collapse a spring yet but I'm prepared in case it happens.

Inspect any adapters as closely as possible to make sure the center post, that goes into the REO fitting, doesn't come down/out too much. (Rhaps has some pictures showing protruding center post that applies to attys/cartos/adapters.)

I suspect in the above case it was a combination between the misfunctioning REO fitting and the adapter set. Come to think of it I think I killed two or more attys before the spring collapsed. BTW... I was using old 510 attys that I was willing to sacrifice knowing there was any issue.

Again, if you can, send the offending atty in with the REO.

Hugs, Feisty Alice

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Here are the pictures Alice spoke about. In the end, if you want to use adapters and don't feel comfortable adjusting them yourself, you can get adapters from Rob...just ask him if he can adjust them for you. :) As you can see below, it's all in how far the center pin protrudes from the body of the adapter.

adapterwrongway.jpg

adapterrightway.jpg

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thank you!! I actually think it was probably more likely user error. He used an adapter and after reading some of those posts linked I have a feeling it was that adapter. Is there any way we can buy another button from you along with a spring? It has been working fine since he took the adapter off so I think if he just replaces those and doesn't use that adapter it should be OK. I really appreciate it. You always offer such great customer service.:)
Hello Karla you can get a new button and spring . You can probably save the button you have . If you push the pin through to the other side of the button and turn the button 180 degrees the button should work perfectly . Sometimes you have to clean the button with a razor knife . Keep me informed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread