Need mod recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leash44

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Boise, ID
A little history to explain what I'm looking for. Started vaping over 5 years ago but have been out of the loop on new things for quite some time. Started off with typical vision spinner/ce4 starter kit, then a vamo with various tanks, then my favorite Celtic Provari P3, first with a kayfun clone then a Nautilus 2 which I loved the most. The P3 lasted a long time before finally kicking the bucket about 1.5 years ago after provape shut down and I could not get it fixed.

Went to the local vape shop and picked up a Smok Stick X8 with the baby beast tank and have been using it ever since but am not really happy with it. Tried the Nautilus 2 on the stick x8 and it was awful so stuck with the baby beast it came with. I prefer MTL and a cooler vape and care more about flavor than huge clouds and I find that the x8/baby beast is too fast and hot since I can't change settings at all.

I'd really like to go back to using my Nautilus 2, so I'm in the market for a new mod. I don't want to spend a ton but want something reliable with good battery life that will work well with the nautilus. I used the 18650 batteries in my provari and still have new ones I had bought right before it died but can get new ones if I need another type. I think I used to get the 1.6 coils and vaped at 11-13 watts, but may try the .7 coils at some point. What mod would work, what watt range am I looking at? I was looking at the iStick range of products from eleaf but don't know what all these new options are about like temperature control and they range from 30w to like 200w. I've always used stick style variable mods until the stick x8 which has no control. Would be willing to use a box mod if it would still fit in my pocket and isn't a huge one.

Any advice would help.

Basic wants:
Good battery life equivalent to an 18650 or 3000mah
Can still fit in pocket
Adequate wattage for Nautilus 2
VV/VW control a must

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
I would suggest either the Asmodus Colossal it’s on sale at Vaporrange.com or if you like stick mods the Uwell Nunchaku or the Ehpro 101 Pro mod. All use 18650’s & have variable wattage so you can control the wattage.
great little mod for $35 lots of cool colors too if your into that sorta thing

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
it sounds as though you were a fan of pen Style mods or stick Style mods. If that's the case, check out the uwell nunchaku or the ehpro mod 101 line. These are single battery regulated tube Style mods. The nunchaku we'll go up to 80 Watts on a single 18650. The original Mod 101 will go up to 50 Watts on a single 18650. The new mod 101 Pro will do 75 Watts on a 20700. There's also a new one out from Tesla that I haven't tested, and the sabre from iJoy but I don't recommend it.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Just for ships and giggles I'll drop this link here. At this price you might want to grab a couple as backup. They will run your 1.6 Nautilus 2 coils with no problem. I bought 2 on clearance couple years ago and they've been steadfast and reliable. Vaping one right now as a matter of fact. I have a bunch of more modern stuff but I just like to pull one of these out occasionally.

Personal Vaporizer E-Cig - SmokTech - SID

Otherwise I'd say an original Pico 75w. Nice and small and very comfortable in the hand.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a couple of shoeboxes full of various mods I've purchased over the years. I rotate them in and out here and there. It's funny, but my iStick Pico's gets as much use as the two DNA 75's and the several other modsI use frequently. Since I'm a low watt MTL vaper I don't need 220W power and the heavy weight that high watt mods bring with them.

Reliability, pocket size, and features play into the game. If it's too thick to comfortably fit into a pocket, it becomes a home only mod.

Tunka

May 31, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The Smoktech SID is great for a single battery, low wattage mod. I like the dual battery mods as the battery life is great for all day usage at low wattages. I got an Eleaf Invoke (it came with the Ello tank free, great little tank btw :thumb: ) and I love it. It does low wattages and, should you feel adventurous, it'll push 200 watts. Small, light and feels great in the hand. It'll drop into a shirt pocket easily. Only con I have is the slip-lock battery door. It stays closed but, it might get loose after a time.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Ephro 101 I have and I like. I might get the 75 watt one if you want something more substantial, but either is good. Mine compares favorably enough to my proviaris the small ones. Not the Procyons, but I really like a bit of heft.

It's a nice mod and apparently you can do TC if you want to figure out the menu system.

I got no complaints.

Boxmods well, that's freaking endless.

Anna

Leash44

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Boise, ID
So.... in a strange turn of events I pulled out the provari I haven't used in 1.5 years and decided to charge up the brand new battery I had bought right before it died to remind myself what the error code on the p3 was to see if anyone had a fix for it before buying a new mod. Strangely enough it works. No error. I really don't understand. I tried this battery and 3 others back when it died so it's not that. I could put a battery in, take one puff, then it would flash and give an error and turn off. I could remove the battery then put it back in and repeat, always erroring after one puff. Now no error, same tank as before, cleaned tank and new coil of course. So I'll take it.

I do however think I should still go ahead and get a new backup/2nd mod in case it dies again so I'm not stuck again using this stick x8 that I hate. So I appreciate all the recommendations, I've spent a lot of time researching the ones you guys have recommended. I'm trying to decide between the iStick pico or the Jac Vapour Series B DNA75. I also like the look of the Nunchaku but it is huge and I have tiny hands. The Provari P3 is rather tall in 18650 mode at home but I often used it in short mode with a smaller battery when out and about and have grown accustomed to the shorter size of the x8. I like that the pico and Jac are small and slim but still have the 18650 3000mah capability while have a good wattage range to experiment with if I try other tanks. Now to make up my mind.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
So.... in a strange turn of events I pulled out the provari I haven't used in 1.5 years and decided to charge up the brand new battery I had bought right before it died to remind myself what the error code on the p3 was to see if anyone had a fix for it before buying a new mod. Strangely enough it works. No error. I really don't understand. I tried this battery and 3 others back when it died so it's not that. I could put a battery in, take one puff, then it would flash and give an error and turn off. I could remove the battery then put it back in and repeat, always erroring after one puff. Now no error, same tank as before, cleaned tank and new coil of course. So I'll take it.

I do however think I should still go ahead and get a new backup/2nd mod in case it dies again so I'm not stuck again using this stick x8 that I hate. So I appreciate all the recommendations, I've spent a lot of time researching the ones you guys have recommended. I'm trying to decide between the iStick pico or the Jac Vapour Series B DNA75. I also like the look of the Nunchaku but it is huge and I have tiny hands. The Provari P3 is rather tall in 18650 mode at home but I often used it in short mode with a smaller battery when out and about and have grown accustomed to the shorter size of the x8. I like that the pico and Jac are small and slim but still have the 18650 3000mah capability while have a good wattage range to experiment with if I try other tanks. Now to make up my mind.
Not to dissuade you but I have small hands & the Nunchaku is not huge.

Leash44

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Boise, ID
Not to dissuade you but I have small hands & the Nunchaku is not huge.

Hm well the x8 is 59mm tall, while the nunchaku is 94.5mm tall and I think while watching it in videos it was seeming large because of what I'm used to. Maybe it's also how it bows out (which is pretty) that made it look larger to me. It's hard to gauge size when is not being compared to another mod in videos. Looking at the other specs the Jac is 88mm and the pico is 70.5. So yeah you're right I think huge was not the right word to use, just the largest of the ones I was considering coming from one that's only 59. I pocket it a lot so size is a factor. Using the p3 in short mode was 88. Maybe I have to see if a shop around here has them so I can see it in person.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Hm well the x8 is 59mm tall, while the nunchaku is 94.5mm tall and I think while watching it in videos it was seeming large because of what I'm used to. Maybe it's also how it bows out (which is pretty) that made it look larger to me. It's hard to gauge size when is not being compared to another mod in videos. Looking at the other specs the Jac is 88mm and the pico is 70.5. So yeah you're right I think huge was not the right word to use, just the largest of the ones I was considering coming from one that's only 59. I pocket it a lot so size is a factor. Using the p3 in short mode was 88. Maybe I have to see if a shop around here has them so I can see it in person.
To me mods always looks bigger on YouTube than in person. It’s taller by measurement compared to the Jac & Pico but it’s a tube 24mm or 25mm round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread