Need some advice about E-CIG maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckywuck

Feb 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Hi everyone!

Haven't actually bought my E cig yet but have been recommended the Vision V3 Ego (VISION V3 EGO BLUE KIT - 900MAH)

I am a light smoker (2-3 cigarettes per day).

My friend said that the only thing you have to replace is the liquid at the atomiser (?) does this mean I have to buy new atomisers? If so where do I get them? Not even sure what they are! Can anyone help?

x

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Hello and welcome to ECF!

Maintenance depends on the atomizer, really. Some are disposable. You use them until they don't work anymore, then you replace the entire atomizer. Some have replaceable heads (the part that contains the coil/atomizer). When those start to taste off, you can just replace the head. For most tanks with replaceable heads, you can buy a 5 pack of replacements for around $6-7 (online prices) or you can buy them individually for around $2.50-3.00. It will of course vary, depending on what type of tank you choose.

How long a coil lasts depends on a few things. Some of the liquids gunk up a coil quicker than others. Some of it comes down to personal taste (I like fresh coils myself, so I clean my coils every 2-3 days, see below).

Many people extend the life of their atomizers by cleaning them. Methods of cleaning can be as simple as soaking overnight in water or alcohol and rinsing off. Even better cleaning can be achieved by doing what is called a "dry burn" where you expose the coil and pulse the battery until the coil glows (you can search the forum for "dry burn" for more info). This burns off much of the caramelized juice that has baked onto the coils (kind of like the self cleaning cycle of an oven). You'd then rinse the coil off and reassemble it. What you choose to do is kind of up to you and how involved you want the process to be. Many people just opt for replacing the coils, as they are not too expensive.

Now, batteries will eventually have to be replaced as well. They are rechargeable, but eventually they start to hold their charge for shorter periods. I think the number of charge cycles that can be expected for an ego battery is around 300? This is all variable as well. Sometimes you'll get a battery that lasts practically forever, and sometimes you get one that doesn't make it to 6 months. Many will last a year, no problem.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We love to help newbies!

duckywuck

Feb 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Hello and welcome to ECF!

Maintenance depends on the atomizer, really. Some are disposable. You use them until they don't work anymore, then you replace the entire atomizer. Some have replaceable heads (the part that contains the coil/atomizer). When those start to taste off, you can just replace the head. For most tanks with replaceable heads, you can buy a 5 pack of replacements for around $6-7 (online prices) or you can buy them individually for around $2.50-3.00. It will of course vary, depending on what type of tank you choose.

How long a coil lasts depends on a few things. Some of the liquids gunk up a coil quicker than others. Some of it comes down to personal taste (I like fresh coils myself, so I clean my coils every 2-3 days, see below).

Many people extend the life of their atomizers by cleaning them. Methods of cleaning can be as simple as soaking overnight in water or alcohol and rinsing off. Even better cleaning can be achieved by doing what is called a "dry burn" where you expose the coil and pulse the battery until the coil glows (you can search the forum for "dry burn" for more info). This burns off much of the caramelized juice that has baked onto the coils (kind of like the self cleaning cycle of an oven). You'd then rinse the coil off and reassemble it. What you choose to do is kind of up to you and how involved you want the process to be. Many people just opt for replacing the coils, as they are not too expensive.

Now, batteries will eventually have to be replaced as well. They are rechargeable, but eventually they start to hold their charge for shorter periods. I think the number of charge cycles that can be expected for an ego battery is around 300? This is all variable as well. Sometimes you'll get a battery that lasts practically forever, and sometimes you get one that doesn't make it to 6 months. Many will last a year, no problem.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We love to help newbies!

Thanks so much for the reply! Really useful info, read a few things about 'dry burning' but didn't have a clue what it was!

So, where do you buy the atomisers if you are going to replace them? And since I'm not a heavy smoker, does that mean it is likely to last longer without needing replaced/recharged?

Think I'll go ahead and order it now that I'm more in the know.
:)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I'm in the US, so I can't really recommend a place for you to buy.

Here's one thing to know, which that ego battery, you can use a variety of toppers (clearomizers, tanks, whatever). You might consider adding a couple of different ones to your purchase. Personal preferences on style of tank is a very individual thing. You may hate the topper that comes with it (I haven't used the Vision V3, but I think it's a top coil, and I can't stand top coils). You could order an extra Evod clearomizer as an example of a bottom coil, so you'd at least have two different styles to compare.

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Durham, UK
Great to see another UK Vaper. And that is a fantastic price for that Kit, I spent nearly £50 on something very similar just a few months back.

I was a light smoker, not as light as you, and coils last me about 3-4 weeks with no cleaning or dry burning. That said I vape a very thin, clear juice. You'll find what works for you as you go.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Well, the AW IMRs are quality. Look for that in the title. There are several listed on the Battery Forum page. Also, the higher the Mah of the battery, the longer it will last. For heavy vaping, I would look for the 2200-2500Mah size. I have several so I can rotate them and have a spare in the car.

As to clearomizers; all work per se. I have 6-7 that are 5ml. I tend towards the clearomizers that are made of metal and pyrex/glass with the bottom coil. A Protank II is an example. I also look for clearomizers that completely break down for cleaning. Many flavors leave an odor, so that is important to me. I break mine down and let them soak in alcohol for 2-3 hours and then rinse in hot water. Works well.

Hope helps

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
Honestly, and I recommend this to everyone I know personally. If you’re dedicated to switch to vaping, more than likely you’re going to end up "upgrading" like most everyone on here.

I would in my opinion go for a SVD or Vamo Battery Compartment and a Protank. I wish I never bought an Ego style battery, because I ended up "Wanting more" and buying mods and RBA/RDA's.

You can get them pretty cheap online $32 on Fasttech for a Vamo and 37 (I think) for a SVD.

Trust me you won’t regret it. The only thing I have regreted buying was my first Ego starter kit, but because at the time "I didn't know better" I did.

My girlfriends brother comes to me on a Every other day basis with problems like, leaking, Tank cracks, coils blowing out, airflow seizing up, and it reminds me of the exact problems I had with my Ego setups.

Last edited:

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Hi everyone!

Haven't actually bought my E cig yet but have been recommended the Vision V3 Ego (VISION V3 EGO BLUE KIT - 900MAH)

I am a light smoker (2-3 cigarettes per day).

My friend said that the only thing you have to replace is the liquid at the atomiser (?) does this mean I have to buy new atomisers? If so where do I get them? Not even sure what they are! Can anyone help?

x

The atomier heads are available at the same store where you are buying the starter kit.

http://www.vapeland.co.uk/vision-v3-spare-coil-head-111-p.asp
PRICE: £1.99VIEW
Vision V3 Spare Coil Head

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome!

A UK vaper-to-be! Whoo hoo.

:)

Vapeland are good, and so is that kit. YES!

I use tanks (clearomisers) that use replacement heads which are £1.20 per unit. The Vision V3s in that kit are £1.99. You won't need many even if you only vape 5-10 times a day.

Vapeland sell "Vision" products. I have a few Vision batteries, they are excellent.

The V3 isn't such a great clearomiser (i.m.o.) I have 3 or 4 old ones in my box. However, all these things are relative. It certainly wouldn't put me off such a good kit and a super price. Bless them.

an e-cig like this costs pennies to run... unlike those stupid plastic sticks everybody calls an "e-cig".... they are useless.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
I would suggest an Aspire BDC, the coil is replaceable, but being new to this myself going on what my son told me. every two weeks I replace my coil put the old one in a little vodka for a day then set it to dry for a few days. I rotate three of them on in the tank one in the vodka and one ready to use. After rinsing two of them I toss the vodka for new. after they soak i just wrap them in a paper towel and let them set in my vape box according to which I'll use next. Don't know if this is right wrong or otherwise, but I've yet to burn out a coil and I vape a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread