Need some advice :D New Memeber

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexinho

Nov 8, 2011
Toronto
Hello!

I have been vaping for roughly 4 months now and I am LOVING IT :D:D:D:D.
So i've been reading the forums and ive discovered that im in the same boat
as the majority of newcomers. I have bought cheap batteries with cartomizers at my
local kiosks that last for 2 days (after promised to equivalent to 1-2 packs of cigarettes).
These brands have been Mystic in the US when I was there and HDSmoke in Canada. The
HD Smoke were the best so far and I shelled out like $200 to buy these brands and they do not last long.

Basically, I have been reading about the 510 and the eGo and I was wondering which would you recommend.
Also which is the difference between atomizers and cartomizers??? Is a 3piece or 2 piece better? Also,
how long does a full cartomizer or atomizer last for? Any help would be highly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!

PS: What is the difference between a manual and automatic battery?

Last edited:

luvinitall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
illinois
Hi I'm glad to hear that you are happy with vaping .let me see if I can help you out.. 510 refers to a model of battery that is small like a cig...but it also refers to the threading on a lot of other batteries like the EGo that you mentioned, my husband has a couple of Egos and they last all day they are the 1100 mah So they will last around 11 hours . So I would recommend the ego over the 510 because it will last a lot longer between charges, unless you prefer the look of an analog?
As far as two piece that would be a battery and a cartomizer and a three piece would be a battery an atomizer and a cartridge the atomizer has a beating element in it and the cartridge holds the eliquid ....honestly that's what I started with and it is not the easiest thing to do not to mention that it's really messy, so to sum it up I would go with some LR cartos and the Ego ...oh as far as how long cartomizers last , I'm sure that it's different for everyone ..I'm not sure if you are asking how long the the life span is or how long between refills? best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
BTW - once you have 5 posts or replies (non-spammed) and an hour wait, you will be able to post in the Canada section. I think they also have a list of Canada vendors there.

BS vendors claim a carto last 1-2 packs. In reality a carto lasts maybe 12 cigarettes worth. But you really don't want to run them dry and singe them - it's best to keep them damp and get up to a week of use out of each. I recommend thin juices (with no more than 20% PG) and avoid juices that drop flavoring sediment.

Re auto and manual? Auto sucks, and manual is great? Manual batteries make it easier to get a good hit and they are harder to damage or kill with juice leaks. Especially manuals with fully sealed threaded end - almost impossible to damage with juice leaks.

510 is small and has short battery life (180mah or about 1.8 hours of moderate vaping, or 280mah for the long mega xl length which is 128mm long with a cartomizer). Ego is big and has 650mah or more charge. They both come with atomizer + cartridges (or tank atomizer + tanks if you choose to go that way - I wouldn't). Most people prefer to use them with cartomizers. The slim batteries like Joye 510 can only use standard resistance (warm, about 2.5 to 3 ohms) atomizers and cartomizers. The big batteries like Ego can optionally use hotter LR (low resistance, low ohms) attys and cartos which create more heat (and use charge up faster).

Last edited:

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Atomizers are a heating element. Traditionally, you push a cartridge holding e-liquid into an atomizer so it can heat the e-liquid. Almost no one does this because cartridges are too much work/hassle. Most people who use atomizers simply drip a few drops of juice directly onto the atomizer, attach a mouthpiece, and vape. Atomizers seem to last a couple of months on average, but can last much less (a week) or much longer. Atomizers cost about $8 apiece.

Cartomizers are bigger cartridges that have the atomizer built in. These are relatively easy to use as they hold a good amount of juice and screw directly to the battery. Personally, I fill 5 cartomizers each night and carry them with me the next day, replacing as necessary. Some people say they can get a cartomizer to last a week. For me, I rotate 5 throughout the day, and a set of 5 might last me 3 weeks, so I'm getting about 4-5 days out of them individually. And they do still work when I toss them, they just get harder and harder to drag on. Cartomizers cost about $7 for a pack of 5.

Any kit will come with an atomizer or 2. It's best to use the atomizer to drip and figure out what flavors you like, then get some cartos and fill them with those flavors.

MajorRocker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Central PA
Depending on your budget, you could always join the big boys and grab an Omega or Silver Bullet. I'm tootin on my SB right now and the battery is a 18650 which is 2600mAh.

I also have a smaller version called the Alpha. That takes a 14500 battery at 900mAh.

I have 2 of each battery so 1 of each goes with me in my mods while the other 2 are on the charger and ready to go.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
As dormouse says manual batts are great. I like them because I control my vaping experience- if I need a strong hit, unlike auto batts, I can hold the manual button longer and it delivers. They are also less susceptible to damage from juice. And last but not least it's been reported that auto batts sometimes go on if there's a loud sound. Not so with manuals.

vexinho

Nov 8, 2011
Toronto
Information overload! haha thanks for all the quick replies!

Just to confirm:

If for example I like menthol with the eGo e-cig, I can fill a cartomizer with juice without
using an atomizer? or do you necessarily have to use an atomizer? Would I be able to simply
screw in the cartomizer directly into the battery?

Also, the HD Smoke i have currently last for roughly around 1-3 days when I smoke constantly (the cartomizer).
And the battery is roughly 1-2 days. I'm definintely looking to invest in a manual battery. I'm just still a little
confused about the cartomizers and atomizers. Ive been reading alot on the forums and people say they buy atomizers like once a week for $8 or so, but I thought this would be cheaper than smoking normal cigarettes? If i say just buy cartomizers, they last for more drags than an atomizer correct?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Information overload! haha thanks for all the quick replies!

Just to confirm:

If for example I like menthol with the eGo e-cig, I can fill a cartomizer with juice without
using an atomizer? or do you necessarily have to use an atomizer? Would I be able to simply
screw in the cartomizer directly into the battery?

Also, the HD Smoke i have currently last for roughly around 1-3 days when I smoke constantly (the cartomizer).
And the battery is roughly 1-2 days. I'm definintely looking to invest in a manual battery. I'm just still a little
confused about the cartomizers and atomizers. Ive been reading alot on the forums and people say they buy atomizers like once a week for $8 or so, but I thought this would be cheaper than smoking normal cigarettes? If i say just buy cartomizers, they last for more drags than an atomizer correct?

A cartomizer is an atty+cart together in one piece....so you would use either the cartomizer OR an atty + cart....Attys are the heating element and the cart holds the ejuice....with a cartomizer, the atty and the cart are together in one piece and you would just fill it and put on your battery and vape....
An atty + cart doesn't hold as much liquid and are way messier than a cartomizer....
Cartomizers --reg boge ones, hold around 1ml in juice.....and you get longer vaping time before refilling....
An atty+ cart---the cart will hold about .5mil and doesn't always make it to the atty. and can give a burnt taste.....
Hope this helps explain the difference between the two .
:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I would definitely recommend replacing what you have with a good beginner model such as the ego, Riva or E-Power 510 which are all in the same category. The Riva and E-Power 510's, however, have a little better batteries as they are full 3.7 volt batteries whereas the ego is only 3.4 volts. The E-Power 510, however has better batteries than both the Riva or ego as they last 4-5 times longer (lifetime wise) and only cost about $4 instead of the $15+ you will pay for the Riva/ego batteries. And definitely stick with manual batteries for better control and safety:

e-Power

But if you really want to look at upgrading to even warmer vapor and more consistency, then you might want to look at a good 5 volt model such as the GLV 2 or a good variable volt model such as the Darwin or Provari.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
A cartomizer will take the place of an atomizer and a cartridge. It one piece.

I recommend you go with a 3.7v PV like an E-Power or a Riva. Personally I love the EPower. It uses non-proprietary batteries and everything on it is replaceable so it keeps cost down. EPower batteries cost$4 compared to Riva/eGo batteries that cost $14-20.

Check out crystal clear vaping I you like the Epower. It's a really good deal. You get a FREE 5 pack of ressurector cartomizers, a FREE 30 ml juice of your choice and FREE shipping.
Plus put in ecf5off and youll get 5% off your order.
The ressurector cartomizers are awesome and I use them daily on my Epower and love it

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
An atomizer may last months or may die very quickly. They need to be kept clean or taste and performance goes down. The problem is the cartridges used on atomizers are generally the most troublesome way to vape. They are plastic and stuffing with one totally open end. They usually hold 1/2 as much juice as the smallest cartomizer (1ml standard cartos like Boge). They can be flaky - sometimes delivering juice well to the atomizer, sometimes not, sometimes dumping 1/2 their juice with no warning. They are OK for learning on. And they do have a lot of reusability - you can clean and restuff cartridges.

But for your everyday thinner juices, cartomizers usually give a more consistent vaping experience, need juice less often (though you do need to keep them damp). The downside of cartomizers they have limited lives. They cannot be restuffed. I can get 7+ days of moderate vaping out of a good blank cartomizer that costs about $2 in the US. Some people then bother to clean them and dry them to get additional use but the results can be inconsistent. There are also more exotic cartomizers like reservoir and clear reservoir ones (can crack) which are filled with a syringe. My favorite thing about cartomizers is they keep your flavors totally separate (not mixed in an atomizer) and even carto is its own fresh atomizer. So I rarely need to clean atomizers. On a sealed manual battery I use an atomizer and drip tip to test juices and to vape occasional juices or juices that are thicker than I will put in cartos. But most of the time I am vaping my 2 favorite juices in cartomizers.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I dont know of any offhand but you will not have a problem with ordering a PV and getting it shipped to Canada. The problem you will though is with juice. I would recommend ordering your juice from a Canadian site so you dont have to worry about customs. There is a Canada forum. I would recommend you ask on there and you should be able to get some good answers from people that live there. Youll be able to post there once you have 5 non-spam posts and wait an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread