Status
Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
First off.. I understand the inherent risks of stacking batteries and am prepared to be diligent about pairing, rotating, and monitoring their charge going on and coming off the charger. I appreciate the increased risk and potentially increased strain on batteries and I take full responsibility for my actions and the outcome of those actions.

What I want to know is if the batteries I've found are suitable for stacking in a Mini. They are 14250 but I know nothing about the site selling them. It seems there were more high drain 14250's available a few years ago, not so much anymore (unless my Google Fu is just weak lately.

These are what I'm looking at: AW 14250 Unprotected Lithium Rechargeable 300mAh

Eh?

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I've had those. I used to be a heavy flashlight modder for many years so I'm familiar with them & the Lummi Orbs that page mentions.

14250s are known as CR2 size commonly used in older digital cameras. AW used to make a 350ma protected version which was discontinued a long time ago just like his C size protected li-ion. I still have quite a few of them too.

14250 are not know for great capacity or current draw. The unprotected are the only ones available now & are rated at 300mah. Running them in series (stacking) does not double capacity, it multiplies voltage as you know. Running in parallel is what doubles capacity.

I would say don't do it but if you must be very careful on your resistance. Don't want to go low resistance with them, they can't handle it. Continuing to do so will damage them & lead to a failure you may not want to experience. Li-Cos vent & can explode.

Coming from flashlights I can vouch for LH. Assuming John is still the owner I used to deal with John a lot buying SureFire parts. That's what he used to sell before opening LH. I also used to buy all my AWs from him whenever I did not buy from AW directly.

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Yeah I'm not looking to increase capacity, looking to increase current without damaging the batteries.

If my amateur math is sound I am thinking those should be stackable with about a 2.5 - 3ohm coil, and still pack a punch. I'm looking to hit it a couple times here and there, not vape through a workday. I'm thinking the mini, with 24mg juice (I normally vape 12mg) would be perfect for a fancy occasion, cause you know.. I attend so many fancy events and all...

Just as much novelty as running dual coils.. It'll be my little Derringer vape ;)

Thanks guys. I think I'll pick up a couple pair of these and proceed with caution.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Running in series won't actual give you an increase in current but I understand what you mean. You're looking for more overall power, aka, wattage. Higher voltage, less current draw, generally more efficient but always.

I use my Mini 2.1 the most because that's what I use on workdays. Which means I can't use it all day, just going to & from work & during lunch. I don't take breaks to use it. So it'll last me pretty much a full work day but I tend to use my Grand as soon as I get home. Sometimes on the weekends I use the Mini also & bring an extra 18490 with me. So far I haven't gone through more than 3mls while out, I always get home before I run out. Since I use the Mini the most, that's why I've become so attached to it, cause I'm used to it.

Please keep us posted on the stacking! I'm very curious too.

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Running in series won't actual give you an increase in current but I understand what you mean. You're looking for more overall power, aka, wattage. Higher voltage, less current draw, generally more efficient but always.

I use my Mini 2.1 the most because that's what I use on workdays. Which means I can't use it all day, just going to & from work & during lunch. I don't take breaks to use it. So it'll last me pretty much a full work day but I tend to use my Grand as soon as I get home. Sometimes on the weekends I use the Mini also & bring an extra 18490 with me. So far I haven't gone through more than 3mls while out, I always get home before I run out. Since I use the Mini the most, that's why I've become so attached to it, cause I'm used to it.

Please keep us posted on the stacking! I'm very curious too.

Yeah, in place of current I should have said voltage. Which would be offest by higher resistance so I could get a good "high power" vape without asking my 14500's to give me 30w

Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong... hmm

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Here's the thing, with those batteries. It's not just how you use them. Its the "what if". Most hard shorts are caused by bad atty connections. I've had where it was the internals of the atty. Even taking the atty apart, I could never find the "spot". I would not use batteries that can explode. I get a bit ignorant here, but: my understanding is that there's a point when the battery is drawn upon faster than it is designed to release energy (hard short, duration?) where it loses its shi_t and goes into freefall. Dominoes. Someone please correct me. Since I don't know when that happens with these batts, I wouldn't use them. Not even @ some ridiculously high resistance.

I've hard shorted batteries at least twice, and both occassions had nothing to do with actually vaping.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Sorry, my mini is 2.1 thought you were wanting to stack them in there instead of 18490. I've got a Novice which is a hybrid Dripper that uses a 14500. I also feel kinda boxed in with the battery's limits. Sounds like the perfect excuse to give it to the lady and reward yourself with another. Or you could just sell it, guys were lined up behind you when you bought it.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Sorry, my mini is 2.1 thought you were wanting to stack them in there instead of 18490. I've got a Novice which is a hybrid Dripper that uses a 14500. I also feel kinda boxed in with the battery's limits. Sounds like the perfect excuse to give it to the lady and reward yourself with another. Or you could just sell it, guys were lined up behind you when you bought it.

Yeah, I feel VERY lucky to have had the opportunity to snatch it up. When I showed my gf and told her about how it was a limited run and there are not many out there in the world she thought that was really cool that I was able to get it. She's been looking at colors trying to decide which REO she wants.. she'd probably be speechless for a few minutes if I were to present it to her after it gets back from Dr Rob, with it's own RM2 ;)

Now THERE's a good idea. :)

I agree! haha. Thank you.

My vote is for the Lady!

If she's good enough for you, Stats, she's good enough for classic REO.

And she's one hell of an awesome person. She deserves to rock the Nickel Mini.

Enough silly business then. Thanks everyone for helping me finally (again) come to the reasonable decision to just enjoy the heck outta my grands and have fun with them :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread