Need some mech mod help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
so earlier i posted about having a tugboat v1 rda and tugboat mech mod with a single .3 ohm nichrome coil. its going to be coming with a samsung INR18650 25R battery and I need to know if that is going to be safe or that coil is to low. also any tips about safety would be greatly appreciated. unfortunatly I dont have an Ohm reader so right now im using pre-wrapped .3 ohm nichrome coils.

Thanks for the help :D

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
and im not new to vaping by the way. I had my friend (in the military now) wrap all my coils and stuff for me since he was super into building. The only thing from keeping me from wrapping my own coils is me not having an ohm meter and the materials to build the coils (dont have any money left for that stuff). Im also not new to sub ohm vaping. my friend would build around .2 coils all the time and those things were awsome lol.

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
You need an ohm meter or at least a multimeter you need to know the real resistance of the coil in order to be safe and not go just with what you think the resistance is
If you have money money for juice you have money for a meter $10-15

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thats the problem haha dont have any money. still have the same bottle of juice from 4 months ago XD

Eekins

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Before you do anything with a mech mod, I'd suggest getting an ohm reader .. There are ohm's law calculators on google that you can use to check your safety. All you need to know is your battery amp rating. you put in your resistance and set the voltage at 4.2(what a full battery discharges at) and you'll find out the amps you'll be pulling. That battery has a cdr of 20amps. As for your resistance, I wouldn't believe anything until I see proof. This is for your safety. Get an ohm reader.

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
If you don't plan to get a meter the least you can do is go to a vape shop and ask then to check the resistance fit you on one of they meters or regulated mods, then you can be certain

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

you know what, that is a brilliant idea that i did not think about lol. thanks a bunch :D

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Never fire a mech mod without knowing the resistance of your coil(s) or checking for shorts. Additionally, if you plan on running dual .33 ohm coils (which -- for the tugboat -- you kind of have to) you'll be in "unsafe" territory at ~.15 ohms.

Also it sounds like you're buying off eBay or something similar. Never do that.

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
Never fire a mech mod without knowing the resistance of your coil(s) or checking for shorts. Additionally, if you plan on running dual .33 ohm coils (which -- for the tugboat -- you kind of have to) you'll be in "unsafe" territory at ~.15 ohms.

Also it sounds like you're buying off eBay or something similar. Never do that.

nah im not running dual on the tugboat, just single and if its to airy i will cover one of the airholes :p. I have decided that im going to take it to a vape shop and have them check the ohms on he coils since i dont have a meter. I also did buy my mod off ebay but i made sure it was from a trusted seller and unused. also what did you mean i would have to run dual with the tugboat? i have heard of people just running single on it. it does not make that much of an impact does it?

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
My take is that I never want to exceed 50% of a batteries CDR, and for your 25R battery that works out to 0.4 ohms.

oh boy...its going to be close then. hopefully everything will work out alright still. i might end up trying out the 1.5 ohm dual coils first and then change them out if they dont preform like i want them to.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
so if the pre wrapped .3 ohm nichrome coils are long enough, could I just add an extra wrap or two to make the ohms higher? hope thats not a dumb question XD

No, it's the total length of wire that determines resistance not the number of coils. Get an ohm meter.

ThugginMcMuffin

Sep 15, 2015
No, it's the total length of wire that determines resistance not the number of coils. Get an ohm meter.

ah ok thanks for that, good to know. unfortunatly I currently dont have the money for an ohm meter (as in I dont have 5 bucks to my name) right now. only reason I have this mod is my friend bought it for me.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
ah ok thanks for that, good to know. unfortunatly I currently dont have the money for an ohm meter (as in I dont have 5 bucks to my name) right now. only reason I have this mod is my friend bought it for me.

Your friend essentially bought you a motorcycle without a helmet. I don't condone using a rebuildable atomizer on a mech mod without the proper knowledge or tools to do so.

You're playin' with fire.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

If you can't afford an ohm meter you certainly can't afford any medical bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread