Needing help with getting my ohms right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
8I am new to building, got my first rda about a month or two ago. When the guy at the vape shop built my coils it read at a perfect .15 ohms, but my first build in my own read at .29 and then building one today it's reading at .317. My personal preference for vaping is closer to the .15... could someone give me some tips?
Set up:
Coil master hive coils running 26x26 gave
Dual coil
5 looks
Drop rda

Attachments

• 20180611_174359.jpg
    20180611_174359.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: stols001

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
I would add that if your 0.3 gives you good flavor and vapor production at the temp you like for the drop, just go with it. Sure, if it's too much vapor for you or takes too much wattage to run you can decrease your ohms to 0.15 by subtracting wraps. I'm assuming your on a regulated. If it's working I wouldn't worry about it.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
8I am new to building, got my first rda about a month or two ago. When the guy at the vape shop built my coils it read at a perfect .15 ohms, but my first build in my own read at .29 and then building one today it's reading at .317. My personal preference for vaping is closer to the .15... could someone give me some tips?
Set up:
Coil master hive coils running 26x26 gave
Dual coil
5 looks
Drop rda
Are you using the same gauge wires and material the vape shop used?

• Agree

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
I would add that if your 0.3 gives you good flavor and vapor production at the temp you like for the drop, just go with it. Sure, if it's too much vapor for you or takes too much wattage to run you can decrease your ohms to 0.15 by subtracting wraps. I'm assuming your on a regulated. If it's working I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, I think i just did something funky, I dropped a wrap and now its reading .256 so I'm just gonna leave well enough alone and just try doing better next time

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yeah, I bought a pack of pre made wires and they pulled from my pack when they built it

There is only one way you're getting .30Ω and they got .15Ω or anywhere close to those numbers using the same coils and that's if you only clamped one coil in or you don't have one coil connected in some other way.

Did both your coils start glowing evenly?

• Agree

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
There is only one way you're getting .30Ω and they got .15Ω or anywhere close to those numbers using the same coils and that's if you only clamped one coil in or you don't have one coil connected in some other way.

Did both your coils start glowing evenly?
One looks like it's glowing slightly hotter, I tried to get them to match and it just wasn't having it

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
One looks like it's glowing slightly hotter, I tried to get them to match and it just wasn't having it

That's at least part of it. You may as well not even wick if they're not glowing even. You won't like the results, one will likely burn.
Too long of legs will add resistance, but generally not as much as you are seeing unless you have them very long. One is probably not as tight as the other.

I would take it apart and assuming you haven't buggered them up taking off a wrap and they still look even, trim the legs so they can be snug to the deck (if that is required before inserting), insert them in the deck so both are snug, tighten the screws very well, insert a tight fitting rod and pull them both away from the deck and make sure neither is touching the deck, then pulse away from light. Think timing rather than how hot they glow, if one glows before the other loosen a leg, pull it out slightly and retighten. Recheck the glow. If the same one is early loosen the other leg and put it out slightly. Repeat until they are glowing at the same time.

Insert the rod and tug, twist, roll until they are even and level. Pulse again. If it all looks good then wick.

Last edited:
  • Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Dual coils do make things a bit harder, you really want them even if you are to get a satisfying vape. It's possible you may be able to either mount a coil diagonally or put an inset into the atomizer, that is sometimes possible (I don't own what you've got). My first coil was a diagonal mounted coil, there was no way in hell I was going to start with dual coils though. LOL.

Every prewound coil has some slight differences, although whether they should/will be enough to make a difference really depends. NO two coils are identical but you need them close enough that the vape will work okay.

IDK quite what you have going on, but I might practice with a single coil first, I am sure glad I did. Once you get more practice measuring the legs and seating them well, I'd imagine it's going to get easier to get duals to work (and to be fair, everyone has a sort of natural aptitude at coils while others may not.) Me, I send up a silent "Hallelujah" every time I get one mounted. Leg length CAN make a big difference so installing the coils as similarly as you can may help. IDK.

Good luck, and you are getting good advice. :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread