Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Conventional wisdom is that no visible damage is acceptable. It's more of an issue on the positive pole, but batteries are cheap, and facial reconstruction surgery is not. You should probably replace the battery at your earliest opportunity, and take the old one in for recycling.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
Maybe there are different cells that are shorter to mitigate some of this denting in the future?

I had this happen to me one time using the LG 20650 Hg6 (awesome cell) on my XXX tube mod and I used it longer than I should have, but I did throw it away. The strange thing is, at the time I only bought 2 of those particular cells for this mod, the rest of the time I used 18650's in it. Only one of the 2 Lg's ended up having the negative side dented in this way. Both had the same amount of usage too. Hmm. Not too sure why this happened, unless I screwed the mod together too much on one occasion, but not on another.

Anyways, I'd do what bwh79 says and toss em. Recycling cells every 3 months has become standard when using mechanicals myself and the cost is minimal when you consider what they give us. Regulated is a different story. I use those cells 'til they start to show some slip in performance, but I rarely keep cells longer than a year. It's just not worth it to me.

Cheers!

Reactions: stols001

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
Yes but as Mooch says, if your vaping within the ratings theres no need to recycle cells so often.

I once asked him how often I should change batteries if vaping on mechanicals at lower ohms, you know high current pulsing, and while he couldn't give a definitive answer, he said 2 to 3 mos seemed prudent.

If your vaping a single coil build at 0.2 or 0.3 using a true 30 amp battery, id say feel free to use that cell until you notice signs of wear and performance loss. That will come in about a year. My VTC 5a cells seem to last about 3 months before the internal resistance starts to drop to the point I notice it during use. I tend to vape low though and do not suggest this to anyone. My mechs never leave the house really. More of a home hobby.

Hope this helps. Cheers !

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Dented batteries are unsafe batteries unfortunately. Have you been able to (even slightly) isolate how the dent is happening and etc. I also might be tempted to contact the manufacturer in this instance and see if they have any advice. You really shouldn't get denting with a mod as a routine type thing. If they continue to chew up your batteries, I do think you have a decent shot at warrantying them, especially if you are using your equipment correctly.

Best of luck. Batteries are cheaper than facial reconstruction. Although, it sounds like your mech seems to want to make batteries more expensive than anything else!

Good luck,

Anna

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I've had this issue with a SMOK Procolor, dented bottoms of both Sony VTC 4, and a pair of Samsung 25rs.

The Sony's are dented worse, I'm guessing they are slightly longer than the Samsungs. I've noticed over time, the tops are slightly indented now too.

So yeah, this happens with other mods as well. I'm not real comfortable using the Procolor after this experience myself. Also have a 'spare' Procolor, still in the box (got a good deal on them), but it will most likely stay in the vape closet.

My first and last SMOK mod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My VTC 5a cells seem to last about 3 months before the internal resistance starts to drop to the point I notice it during use.
Pretty sure you meant to say when the internal resistance increases.

As batteries age, the internal resistance increases. I don't believe its possible for the IR to decrease.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Thanks bwh79. I'm ...... cause this means I have 2 useless machina mods. It only took 2 days for my batteries to be ruined as well.
Are you sure it's a dent? I get little circular marks that I would characterize more as "scratches" than "dents" on my batteries, just from normal use. I don't think these are necessarily something to worry about, but if there's truly an indentation then that's a different story. Can you get a good picture of it?

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
Pretty sure you meant to say when the internal resistance increases.

As batteries age, the internal resistance increases. I don't believe its possible for the IR to decrease.
Wooops! Good catch. I apologize for that slip. As you caught, I meant to say increases, lol. Thanks guys!

Its definitely worth taking a second look to see if the circular marks are something other than dents. I've owned a mod or two that gives my batteries a certain circular arcing that could very well be perceived as a pot hole shaped dent. The two LG Hg6 cells I spoke of were identical in appearance at first, and both were only being used in one particular mod. At the beginning it seemed like one was just getting beat up a little more than the other. Upon additional use, and then further inspection however I could not deny it was not your normal wear and tear with mech mod use, but an actual divot with a curvature to it.

I remember how difficult it is to discern when those indentations first start taking form. You said you could see them after just one day though so chances are good they are in fact dents. Pictures would be awesome though. I really want /need to see these at this point. My Lg is long gone by now, but im curious what yours look like.

Cheers my friends and thanks for the 2 gents that caught my big mistake there.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Quick question - Has anyone had experience with denting of batteries in the mech mod they regularly use? If so, could you please post pics? I very much want to see.
index.php
86799-b28799e51b2aef94030c441bfb0e4ee1.jpg
86800-b6feec7d6b93b5a6b8f2a36c23dfaa63.jpg
102527-b75f02ac510bc168be93a37fcb17c9b1.jpg
2ECOLiYLwgEeZYqdESagpV2obc-hreNAE81yWFEPLEI.jpg
jEdB6.jpg
5yNjXjW.jpg
20azcd4.jpg
[/IMG]
damaged-battery.png

All images ripped off from Google Images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread