Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The negative site of my battery is slightly round.
Do I need to worry?

If you mean the bottom connector on your battery is slightly warped outward then yes. A pic would help us say for sure though.

A good test though is if you stand the battery up on a flat surface and it wobbles or falls over then yes it is warped. You should wrap it in electrical tape making sure to cover both ends so nothing can touch the ends and dispose of it. Check your area for a battery disposal/recycling facility.

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
It's really minor.
But it does wobble a little bit

Attachments

• 15353651507191485178878396399858.jpg
    15353651507191485178878396399858.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
I've a second one and it doesn't wobble.
Don't have any 20700 wraps laying around.
Should get some Chinese wraps pretty soon(can't find a local vendor and international shipping for a 0.50€product would be way to expensive.
Is it really that dangerous is the cell is very slightly bloated?
Don't have any more 20700s and I'm broke af.
Still got some Sony vtc5's can use those but I will be limited to single coil builds that way

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Looking at the video that doesn't look like a "wrapper" issue to me. It looks warped. That means it was probably either dropped or overheated a bit. Either way, IMHO, it's damaged and should not be used. See my prior post for disposal instructions. Be sure to recycle it if possible since these batteries contain rare Earth metals and we want them to keep making new batteries for us.

batteries can be replaced for less than $10 each and I don't know about you, but protecting my face from a potential explosion will ALWAYS be worth the cost. Remember: "when in doubt, throw it out", or at least recycle it. Not to mention I don't recall a recommended brand of battery that uses black wraps, so that may not have been a "good" battery to begin with. Make sure future batteries are from the recommended list and a reputable vendor.

As always, it is your choice and your face you are risking. To paraphrase "Dirty" Harry Callahan: When you are starring down the barrel of a battery pipe bomb, the most powerful battery bomb in the world, you have to ask yourself one question. "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do you?

Just my :2c:.

Last edited:

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
Looking at the video that doesn't look like a "wrapper" issue to me. It looks warped. That means it was probably either dropped or overheated a bit. Either way, IMHO, it's damaged and should not be used. See my prior post for disposal instructions. Be sure to recycle it if possible since these batteries contain rare Earth metals and we want them to keep making new batteries for us.

Batteries can be replaced for less than $10 each and I don't know about you, but protecting my face from a potential explosion will ALWAYS be worth the cost. Remember: "when in doubt, throw it out", or at least recycle it. Not to mention I don't recall a recommended brand of battery that uses black wraps, so that may not have been a "good" battery to begin with. Make sure future batteries are from the recommended list and a reputable vendor.

Just my :2c:.
This where vapcell golds wraps sucked so I rewarded them.
Got them from www.nkon.nl
Lol
And yes I dropped it yesterday.
Gonna use my vtc5's then.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Do li-on's swell at all? Thought that was a lipo only thing.
Usually, under "normal" conditions, they don't. They have a predetermined breaking point at the (+) so that's where pressure should be released instead of deforming can material.
However, if a cell is dropped that isn't true, if it dropped and is now deformed that means it's dead, do not use that cell and dispose of it according to local laws.
Thermal runaway can be too much for the venting hole and deform the can as well (that's why the (+) should be near the venting holes), that doesn't seem to be the case here though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread