Nemesis delay when firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4licious

Feb 16, 2017
Hello everyone! A couple of days ago i got my first mech, nemesis clone(by atmomixani). I noticed that it doesnt hit hard with my doggystyle at 1.0 ohm(26awg kanthal). I also compared it with my pico and capo and it seems that is the same thing(like 0.5-1 sec delay at firing). The guy at the local store from where i got the nemesis told me that it would be good to clean all the parts with clean petrol that does not melt the plastics or something. I did that and i dont see any difference. The battery i am using is the sony vtc6. I wanna ask is that normal for a mech to have 0.5-1sec delay?

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Looking at

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

It appears to be normal lag to heat up the wire mass.
The same ohm build with 28awg kanthal will heat up a little over twice as fast. Keep an eye on the "heat capacity" on the right side of the page as you change the other variables.

GL

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yup. You’re not getting a bump from the joule thief in a VV mod anymore. You’ll get a smoother vape from a mech. But a 1 battery mech can’t make more volts than it happens to be giving out. This means that super thick wire and Clapton and other exotic coils are mostly out unless you get a two battery series mech. (Don’t btw at least for a while. they’ve got their own problems)

m4licious

Feb 16, 2017
Ok so if i build my doggy with 28awg kanthal will heat up faster in the mech but it will heat up faster in a regulated mod also, am i correct? Because i thought that the mech mod would hit harder than a regulated mod. When i say hits hard i mean that the coil will heat up faster or this is a wrong way of thinking? I am a bit confused...

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
A mechanical mod has a fixed voltage and doesn't do well with a lot of wire mass (thick or complex coils). At 1 ohm with 26 gauge wire It is normal for the delay you are experiencing. A regulated mod is capable of boosting the voltage to help with this delay. A .5 to .3 ohm 26 gauge coil would be a better fit for your mechanical mod. If you would like to stick with 1 ohm using 28 to 30 gauge wire would be best.

m4licious

Feb 16, 2017
Ok i understand that. But what i meant and ask was something else. Let me be more specific with an example. Suppose that i have my doggy with 1.0ohm resistance. I run it on my pico at 16watts, that should give 4.0volts. Now suppose that i run the same exact build on a mech with a battery that has 4.0 volts. Is there a difference that i cant see? The vape seems the same.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Ok i understand that. But what i meant and ask was something else. Let me be more specific with an example. Suppose that i have my doggy with 1.0ohm resistance. I run it on my pico at 16watts, that should give 4.0volts. Now suppose that i run the same exact build on a mech with a battery that has 4.0 volts. Is there a difference that i cant see? The vape seems the same.

Yes, it will be roughly the same vape, however, the voltage applied by a battery will sag (drop) a bit, how much is dependant on resistance (ohms). The regulated mod is capable of maintaining that 4 volts but it is not a constant voltage, the regulator will switch between higher and lower voltage to average 4 volts.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello everyone! A couple of days ago i got my first mech, nemesis clone(by atmomixani). I noticed that it doesnt hit hard with my doggystyle at 1.0 ohm(26awg kanthal). I also compared it with my pico and capo and it seems that is the same thing(like 0.5-1 sec delay at firing). The guy at the local store from where i got the nemesis told me that it would be good to clean all the parts with clean petrol that does not melt the plastics or something. I did that and i dont see any difference. The battery i am using is the sony vtc6. I wanna ask is that normal for a mech to have 0.5-1sec delay?

Maybe trying 26ga SS would be something to Consider?

SS has a Faster Ramp-Up (and Ramp-Down) than Kanthal.

Reactions: anavidfan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not sure why some people recommend such heavy thick wire like 22 - 24 gauge for mechs, but they are off the mark. All that wire mass takes a lot of energy and time to heat up. Using a thinner gauge wire (26 - 28) will have less mass, take less energy and less time to heat up.

If you must use the thicker wire, use a regulated high wattage mod and adjust the wattage to suit your preferences.

On my mech, I use two 26 gauge kanthal wire at 1.2 ohm (approximately 7 wraps; together they make 0.6 ohm). No ramp up time and the flavor/vapor meets my satisfaction. I'm not a cloud chaser. I just want a satisfying vape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread