The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nemesis delay when firing

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by m4licious, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Hello everyone! A couple of days ago i got my first mech, nemesis clone(by atmomixani). I noticed that it doesnt hit hard with my doggystyle at 1.0 ohm(26awg kanthal). I also compared it with my pico and capo and it seems that is the same thing(like 0.5-1 sec delay at firing). The guy at the local store from where i got the nemesis told me that it would be good to clean all the parts with clean petrol that does not melt the plastics or something. I did that and i dont see any difference. The battery i am using is the sony vtc6. I wanna ask is that normal for a mech to have 0.5-1sec delay?

2. CagedSpam

CagedSpam Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2015
    FoPo, Oregon
    Looking at

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

It appears to be normal lag to heat up the wire mass.
    The same ohm build with 28awg kanthal will heat up a little over twice as fast. Keep an eye on the "heat capacity" on the right side of the page as you change the other variables.

GL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yup. You’re not getting a bump from the joule thief in a VV mod anymore. You’ll get a smoother vape from a mech. But a 1 battery mech can’t make more volts than it happens to be giving out. This means that super thick wire and Clapton and other exotic coils are mostly out unless you get a two battery series mech. (Don’t btw at least for a while. they’ve got their own problems)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Ok so if i build my doggy with 28awg kanthal will heat up faster in the mech but it will heat up faster in a regulated mod also, am i correct? Because i thought that the mech mod would hit harder than a regulated mod. When i say hits hard i mean that the coil will heat up faster or this is a wrong way of thinking? I am a bit confused...

• Like Like x 1
  5. CagedSpam

CagedSpam Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2015
    FoPo, Oregon
    In a regulated VV device you can +/- the wattage, tuning your vape.

In a Mech you tune your vape/wattage by your build. Ohms, number of wraps, number of coils, and wire gauge. The battery will always give you everything it can when you fire it, for better or worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    A mechanical mod has a fixed voltage and doesn't do well with a lot of wire mass (thick or complex coils). At 1 ohm with 26 gauge wire It is normal for the delay you are experiencing. A regulated mod is capable of boosting the voltage to help with this delay. A .5 to .3 ohm 26 gauge coil would be a better fit for your mechanical mod. If you would like to stick with 1 ohm using 28 to 30 gauge wire would be best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Ok i understand that. But what i meant and ask was something else. Let me be more specific with an example. Suppose that i have my doggy with 1.0ohm resistance. I run it on my pico at 16watts, that should give 4.0volts. Now suppose that i run the same exact build on a mech with a battery that has 4.0 volts. Is there a difference that i cant see? The vape seems the same.

8. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Yes, it will be roughly the same vape, however, the voltage applied by a battery will sag (drop) a bit, how much is dependant on resistance (ohms). The regulated mod is capable of maintaining that 4 volts but it is not a constant voltage, the regulator will switch between higher and lower voltage to average 4 volts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Maybe trying 26ga SS would be something to Consider?

SS has a Faster Ramp-Up (and Ramp-Down) than Kanthal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Building with ss will make my resistance very low, which is not what i want for doggystyle.

11. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    What is "Very Low" to you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm not sure why some people recommend such heavy thick wire like 22 - 24 gauge for mechs, but they are off the mark. All that wire mass takes a lot of energy and time to heat up. Using a thinner gauge wire (26 - 28) will have less mass, take less energy and less time to heat up.

If you must use the thicker wire, use a regulated high wattage mod and adjust the wattage to suit your preferences.

On my mech, I use two 26 gauge kanthal wire at 1.2 ohm (approximately 7 wraps; together they make 0.6 ohm). No ramp up time and the flavor/vapor meets my satisfaction. I'm not a cloud chaser. I just want a satisfying vape.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    For a mtl rta under 0.6 is low for my preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  14. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017

15. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That's Cool. Go with what you Like the Best.

But if you run out of Options, give SS a try.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Outcast

Outcast Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    Try n80 30ga 7 wrap about .9 on a dual setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. Outcast

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    3mm ID simple wrap not twisted

• Like Like x 1
  18. Outcast

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    I find n80 to be a good middle ground form KA1 to ss

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Outcast

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    KA1 is almost worthless on mechs poor ramp up times

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. m4licious

m4licious Full Member

Feb 16, 2017
    First of all, i appreciate the help from all of you guys, i feel much enlighted now! Nichrome seems better than ss, but i will try it of course to see the differences. Something else that i want ask. Will there be a difference between the mech and my pico running on bypass mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.