Nemesis vs. Hero, my thoughts/review

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiHnaD

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
San Miguel, CA
Hello Folks,

Wanted to give my thoughts on these two mods, the Nemesis everyone knows, the Hero by CalModz is pretty new to the market. Owning both I'd like to share my experiences.

Button: It's been said the Hero is the US version of the Nemmy, I can't agree more. The button on the hero is near identical in design to the Nemmy. However, the button on the Hero is smoother has an easier throw and is much more satisfying than the Nemmy button.

In upgrading my Nemmy button with the magnetic conversion kit it cleaned up most of the "crunchiness" that my Nemmy had with the stock spring, it however would still misfire from time to time it I didn't hit the button straight on, I have had no such issues with the Hero.

Avantage: Hero

Lock ring: The Nemmy's lockring is smooth as silk, with it's size (lots of area to grip between two fingers) a nice flick will get it from disengaged to engaged and vise versa. The Hero's lockring on the other hand is about half the size of the Nemmy ring and due to some sharp burrs on the threads is not nearly as smooth as the lock ring on the Nemmy.

Advantage: Nemesis

Pins/Contacts: Both are silver plated, the bottom firing pins are identical. The Nemmy uses a threaded adjustable top pin which the Hero used a free floating top pin, if you're switching attys often the free floating pin IMO is an advantage.

Advantage: Tie, personal preference.

Aesthetics: My Nemmy is a VW edition with the alternating polished and matte look, this combined with the nemesis angel and the train logo on the firing cap makes for an extremely handsome package. The Hero is kinda plain jane, it features a comic stylized H on the front side of the main tube and the CalModz logo and serial on the back, the button is a bit busy with "USA made 2013 Hero Edition" taking up most of the bottom surface. The hero also features groove ring cutouts on the switch, extension tubes and top cap, they all work together pretty well as whole.

Advantage: Nemesis, the sleek alternating look and the Nemesis Angel engraving is hard to beat.

Fit n' Finish:
There's no doubting the Nemmy is a well built mod, the threads are pretty smooth and the mod is solid. However, my base tube had a noticeable lip on the top that stuck out when using the extension tubes by a couple thousandths. This may not sound like much but it was very noticeable when running you hand down the mod as a whole. This lip wasn't even all the way around either, just around a quarter of the tube had this lip, the rest was near flush.

In the case of the Hero the threads are all buttery smooth (better than the Nemmy), all the tubes line up perfectly. Only issue was the threads on the lock ring (as noted earlier), this however was easily remedied with a bit of 220 grit sandpaper.

Advantage: Hero (easily fixable issue)

Feature Set: The Nemmy has all three battery configurations plus kick ring for kicked 350 and 650 modes, air control top cap, stealth cap option and magnetic switch option.

Hero has 490 and 650 extension tubes but with the lack of a kick ring cannot properly handle kicked 350 mode with an AW button top battery (you can get it to fire but the button will be showing brass threads), top cap has airflow but it's fixed unless you choose to drill it out. (note the magnetic switch conversion kit from the Nemmy will work on the Hero)

Advantage: Nemesis

Performance:
both mods hit hard, trying both back to back with the same battery and atty it's really hard to tell the difference.

Advantage: Tie

Final Thoughts:
The Nemesis at the retail price of $185 is a better bang for your buck than the $40 more expensive Hero @ $225, for less money you get adjustable airflow on your cap, the ability to use a kick in 350 mode and a number of available customization options due to the maturity of the product line. The Hero outdoes the Nemmy in build quality for the most part but is also a tad heavier, and taller. It is however a USA mod made with locally sourced materials, if this is important to you (as it was to me) the Hero might be your preferred choice.

Attachments

• Hero.jpg
    Hero.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Hero_bottom.jpg
    Hero_bottom.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Nemmy.jpg
    Nemmy.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 74

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
After reading your review, it would seem that the people making the Hero have paid more attention to detail in the button and for and finish. They both look close aesthetically, and performance seems to be equal. The insignia on either really have no effect on the performance or build quality of either. If I had the money I'm pretty sure I'd buy the Hero over the Nemmy, although I love the Kalafan Nemmy. Good review, thanks for taking the time to write it. Btw- where do you get the Hero?

ThankYouVapdGod

Feb 17, 2012
Sumeria
Great review. I would disagree on the tie in regards to the silver plated pins. In my research I've found that the silver plating on the Hero pins are thicker making the conductivity better. That is just one reason why I went with the Hero. I also chose the Hero because of its exclusivity since only 500 are being built ever. I was lucky to get a low serial number. I like the fact that its Made in America. Lastly, the certificate of authenticity is a nice addition. Sorry, one more thing. They have a lifetime replacement parts warranty if you should ever have issues. Sorry again, one last thing,they have excellent customer service response time. I emailed them with some questions and they got back to me within hours.

- thicker silver plating on pins, better conductivity
- exclusivity, collectors value
- made in America
- certificate of authenticity
- lifetime replacement parts on part failures
- attention to detail
- customer service, direct contact with the builders

Last edited:

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
Exclusivity and certificate are just illusions of value. In all reality the multitude of vapes that are very similar and coming out all the time will only result in lower resale value over time. In a few years most of these mods will be indistinguishable except for certain iconic or "historically significant" mods. I doubt the hero, king mod, and the like will even be remembered by most enthusiasts. In all likelihood the nemesis will retain value better because it is well known and has a prominent reputation.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread