Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
Hey all!

I'm doing my darnedest to make an accurate Mt. Dew Baja blast (I've yet to have success with existing recipes I've found).

One issue I'm seeming to hit during my batches is that certain note from the existing Mt. Dew flavors (TPA/FW) seem to have a very prominent acidic flavor, I'm thinking lime or even citrus / pineapple?

Is there a flavor I could add in that might bring down the prominence of those more acidic notes? I've added vanilla in at ~2%, and that seemed to bring in a bit of body to the flavor, but didn't help with the acidic flavor prominence..

I know nothing about cooking / flavors, etc.. so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago

Thanks, I already have it.. I'll give it a try in one of my test batches, but i'm a little hesitant given it's strong brown color. The juice I'm trying to replicate is completely clear, so I doubt the originator of the juice uses it.

I think I may have to just ditch pre-made Mt. Dew and work on building my own recipe. :/

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
I was getting a really good Mt Dew at a B&M that I wanna replicate. Have you tried Lorann Tart/Sour drops in it? That's something I'm definitely gonna be picking up. I also picked up a Mt Dew flavoring that wasn't nearly as great, but I added a few drops of lime juice to it which helped a bit. I'd have added a few lemon drops too if I had it, but I think the Tart/Sour drops are a better idea. Right now I'd say mine tastes like a generic lemon/lime soda type juice which isn't BAD, but I thought the 1 from the B&M was really tasty. It's too bad there was no consistency tho, cuz the last time I bought it there, it wasn't as good as the previous times. That's something that really pushed me towards DIY, cuz if I'm gonna have to deal w/ inconsistency, it better be MY OWN, and not something I'm paying top dollar for.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
I was getting a really good Mt Dew at a B&M that I wanna replicate. Have you tried Lorann Tart/Sour drops in it? That's something I'm definitely gonna be picking up. I also picked up a Mt Dew flavoring that wasn't nearly as great, but I added a few drops of lime juice to it which helped a bit. I'd have added a few lemon drops too if I had it, but I think the Tart/Sour drops are a better idea. Right now I'd say mine tastes like a generic lemon/lime soda type juice which isn't BAD, but I thought the 1 from the B&M was really tasty. It's too bad there was no consistency tho, cuz the last time I bought it there, it wasn't as good as the previous times. That's something that really pushed me towards DIY, cuz if I'm gonna have to deal w/ inconsistency, it better be MY OWN, and not something I'm paying top dollar for.

Thanks! I have TPA sour, but I actually don't have any Lorann flavorings. I'll check into it.

I agree with you on the lime, it's definitely more present in some variations vs others. I have a Key Lime, Lemon/Lime and and Lemon (all TPA) coming, no actual lime.. woops :blink:.. Maybe I'll add that to the LorAnn list.

TFA makes Smooth that's clear, from what I read they basically do the same thing. I have smooth but not VW so I'm not speaking from experience unfortunately.

Thanks!! I'll check it out!

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
Have you all tried hypno/hypnotic/hypnotic mist type with the Mt. Dew flavor? There was some trouble with the trademarked name of the cocktail, so there was some name shuffling. Flavour Art and TFA make versions. I had a Baja Blast once and while it's not my thing really, it did taste sort of like a Fresca which is a grapefruit soda. Hypnotic Mist is a grapefruit based cocktail and the flavorings are pretty close...what little I've had anyway. Maybe something to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread