Never Give Up! My (long) Quitting Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
If you look down, you will see two meters in my signature. You will also notice the rather large discrepency between the two numbers: the date I starting vaping, versus the day I smoked my last cigarette.

Like many, I had a lot of luck when I first discovered vaping, and cut my cigarette consumption from 20-30 a day immediately to 3-8 a day.

And there I sat.

I played with a lot of models: the penstyle I began with, a 901, a 401, a Prodigy, a 510, a 510 with a 306 atomizer. I tried many liquids from prefilled carts, to Johnson Creek, to EcoPure, from PG to VG and back to PG again. And I still smoked 3-8 cigarettes a day.

And there I sat.

I had minor victories. Some days, if I didn't leave the house, I didn't smoke. I went whole days without a cigarette! Sometime last December, I even made it 3 whole days. But I'd go to work, and cigarettes were part of my daily routine. One before work. Two at lunch. One after work. One before bed.... 5 most days. Some a few more. Some a few less.

And there I sat.

And then one day, much as what had happened in December, I had several days off from work. I didn't leave the house. I didn't bother to go smoke.

Two days went by.

The next day I was off, but would be hanging out with my family -- mostly smokers. I left my pack in the car. "If I really can't handle it," I thought, "I can always bum one."

Three days went by.

It was time to return to work, but I decided that, at the very least, there would be no more smoking in the car. I cleaned it out and went to the really fancy carwash to get it all vacuumed and smelling nice.

Four days went by.

Finally, I looked at the pack of cigarettes I had kept in my glovebox. It was half full. But I live just down the store from a gas station. If I got really desperate, couldn't I always nip by and grab a pack if I really needed to?

Five days went by.

And suddenly, I found myself telling people the impossible: Yes, I've quit smoking. No, I haven't had a cigarette for a week, a week and a half...

Two weeks have almost passed.

And here, almost a year and a half from the time I picked up my first e-cigarette, I am not smoking. And I'm doing great. I'm calm. Not too high-strung. Not feeling deprived. Not even really craving a cigarette.

And here I sit.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Excellent, and congrats! (see you're still sportin' that little bow :) ) More evidence that everyone is completely different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. There should be an archive with one each of all the different types of "quit" stories, so people can see how individual the process can be. It could be called the "Stop Freaking Out and Relax" archive.

EDIT: By the way, where have you been hiding, Slea?

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Good to see you Slea! Great story. Thanks for sharing your journey with everyone.

Feeling deprived is a big factor when we try to quit smoking. Remembering that I was getting what I needed (nicotine and vapor) and that I could smoke (go and buy a pack anytime I wanted) really was helpful when switching over to vaping only. Another helper for me was adding snus, snuff and upping my nicotine level a bit (started at 12mg but things got much better at 18/24mg). There isn't a perfect method... but there are many options to explore.

Congrats to you on quitting!!

hushedpuppy

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Thanks for sharing your journey thus far, Slea. It encourages me. When I first started vaping a little over a month ago, I quickly gave up cigarettes but I got a bad case of grumpy self pity. Now I'm smoking 5 analogs a day while playing around with mg/ml and getting thoroughly acquainted with all the ins and outs of vaping... perhaps I'll even add snus or some such to the equation. I don't feel deprived and I remain hopeful that the 5-a-days will eventually fall away. Your story reassures me that I might be on a slow boat but I WILL eventually get there.

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Excellent, and congrats! (see you're still sportin' that little bow :) ) More evidence that everyone is completely different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. There should be an archive with one each of all the different types of "quit" stories, so people can see how individual the process can be. It could be called the "Stop Freaking Out and Relax" archive.

EDIT: By the way, where have you been hiding, Slea?

Eh, reading more than writing. Fewer questions. And of course I'm still sporting a bow! It's the only way anyone knows I'm a girl-monkey.

Thanks for sharing your journey thus far, Slea. It encourages me. When I first started vaping a little over a month ago, I quickly gave up cigarettes but I got a bad case of grumpy self pity. Now I'm smoking 5 analogs a day while playing around with mg/ml and getting thoroughly acquainted with all the ins and outs of vaping... perhaps I'll even add snus or some such to the equation. I don't feel deprived and I remain hopeful that the 5-a-days will eventually fall away. Your story reassures me that I might be on a slow boat but I WILL eventually get there.

So glad I can share this and give someone else hope!

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
This gives me hope. I have been vaping 10-11 months. And I reduced my cigs by half right away. And stayed there awhile. I'd have days where I had less...but more days where I stayed right there. As soon as I got home from work and had that first one, I'd have one every hour until bed. And then I started picking up my pv at home too. Got different models, different juices, tweaked it, read more... and then I was down to 2-5/day. That's about where I am now. I'm on the verge of actually sticking with 1-2 a day. But then a day comes along that kicks my patootie, and I spike to 6 or 7. Then back to 2-5. I try tracking it mentally, and I feel I'm depriving myself. I try ignoring it. Putting it off. That works better. But still I still I hover around 2-4. This gives me hope to keep vaping, and to let it work itself out. I'll get there. I'm happy, so happy, for you. In a way, it's a bigger accomplishment when it's taken so long, at least I think it will feel that way to me when I finally get to my destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread