New and getting into MODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

djamwolfe

Aug 17, 2011
Grand Blanc
Hi everyone, just wanted to show you all my first box mod that I just made.
It is in a 2AA case from radio shack and is set up with a 510 connector. Im using a 1000mah Lithium Polymer battery 3.7v (With a protection circuit) and a small micro switch. I still need to add a LED for status, but so far it works great!
IMG_20110917_145025.jpg

IMG_20110917_144821.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Devon

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
When you get enough posts, you can start posting in the modders forum. You can read it now.

Ummm I hate to critique a first effort. So, please take this as constructive but, that micro switch probably isn't rated for the current draw. You really need to add a mosfet. Here's a video on how to use one. Most people add a resistor between the gate and the source.

You might want to look at this thread, if you're interested in a bottom feeder. It's long but, read the whole thing. There are some corrections that come up as you go. You'll find my first mod in there towards the end of the thread. I'm doing better now...I promise. :)

If you want to drool and feel envious of someone else's skills, check this one out. I wish I could build that one.

djamwolfe

Aug 17, 2011
Grand Blanc
Mickey - You were absolutely right, The switch is only rated at 1A, and according to my quick calculations the atty pulls about 1.5A.. Well in the meantime ill keep an eye on it, and get it replaced ASAP.

BTW - Ive been vaping for about a month and already have my eyes on building a Genisis Atty :blink:
I think this is going to be a great hobby!!

Devon

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Mickey - You were absolutely right, The switch is only rated at 1A, and according to my quick calculations the atty pulls about 1.5A.. Well in the meantime ill keep an eye on it, and get it replaced ASAP.

BTW - Ive been vaping for about a month and already have my eyes on building a Genisis Atty :blink:
I think this is going to be a great hobby!!

Devon

It is fun. If you know about the genesis atty, you've already been lurking out in the modding forum. Of course, zalaros is right, you can go with a higher rated switch. I just thought you might like a more interesting solution with the mosfet. Actually given what you've said, I suspect that micro switch will hold up long enough for you to move on to building something else. Some of them have had some spectacular fails though.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Nice, djamwolfe! Tired of playing the "charge your stock 510 battery" game already? LOL
I also built me a 2AA box about 2 weeks into vaping my joye510, for the above reason (Madvapes kit).
Hope your don't mind a couple o' questions!
1. Is that LiPo circuit protection for overcharge, undercharge and short-circuit?
LiPos can get angry sometimes... and you won't like them when they're angry... ;)
2. Did the protection circuit come with the battery, or did you add it on?
3. Where'd ya get the battery? MP3 player? RC heli or plane?
4. No master switch?

I'm not too keen on hot glue, either, but it's a bit easier to replace or resolder a part if something fails!
The atty on mine is just press-fitted in and the small parts (led, resistor) are held in place by their solder joints on solid 18awg copper wire. Something fails? Easy fixin'.
I did not enlarge the hole for the atty, as it pressed in really tight. It has cracked at this hole only because I dropped it and Murphy's Law states that anything dropped will fall on its weakest point, so as to maximize damage upon impact! I wish I could find the same box in some thick aluminum or something!

As for the switch you used, I really like it!
I do love the tactile feedback of the horn switch on mine, and the fact that it can adequately handle the amps, but it's just bleh, at least in this application; small sleek box with straight(ish) lines + big ol' round obnoxious button = wow. it's. wow. (just my humble opinion)

I like the fast changing LED on mine, but it's not too great for ninjavaping; my finger lights up anyway. I could replace the resistor with a higher value (I used the stock 470 ohm value -which Madvapes forgot to include in my kit, but I have tons, so NBD- but I'm lazy, so I probably won't. ;)

Again, awesome 1st mod! Keep 'em coming; and with bigger pics, please! I loves me some mod pr0n! -P1NkY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread