new around here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
New here.... been a pack a day smoker for 10 years with recently getting as much as two a day.... impulse bought the blu starter kit two weeks ago.... still smoking, its down to half a pack a day but doing at least a cart a day, as well.... not sure if I'm more interested in looking for tips with the blu, moving up to the 100 blu or going with donething completely different.... been doing slot of research on youtube and here but I'm lost as what to do.... any ideas or tips?

Boiler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
The land of sky blue waters
:toast: Glad the Blu is working for you. There are are many options on where to go from there depending on your preferences, your wallet, and your tinkering aptitude.

I'd stick with Blu until you have a firmer idea of what you like and don't like about it. And keep watching those youtube videos to see what strikes your fancy.

Ckeeling

Jan 8, 2013
Arizona
Hello welcome to ecf. I was in a similar situation as far as being confused with all the stuff out there. I have not used a blu e cig besides the disposables and they were ok but not satisfying to me. I got an ego twist with a clearomizer and some good juice and i never smoked again.

If you are looking for a different set up my recomendation would be to start an ego c twist it something that is simple with the option to adjust your voltage and it has a good battery life.
Right now i have a kanger evod tank on it and am satisfied with it. Also you will need a charger and some juice.

Hope this helps

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Buy something else! I used to smoke the blu, that's where I started too. I smoked for 12 years, and was up to a pack and a half a day. The blu was simple, which is nice, but it has WAY TOO MANY PROBLEMS. I also couldn't just drop smoking using it, I had to have cigarettes as well. I switched to a full size e-cig and dropped smoking all together 2 months ago. The refillable e-cigs are:

1: cheaper
2: The battery lasts much longer
3: are upgrade available
4: have an infinite variety of flavors (you can mix up new ones too)
5: The don't burn carts like the blu does (daily) they have to be replaced, but at 1/10 the cost of blu carts
6: the size really doesn't bother you, IE you don't have a pack of smokes in your pocket

I can think of many other reasons. I gave away my blu, it was nowhere near as good as the real deal.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Thanks.... ive seen a few recommendations on here for the ego twist and stuff...

I wouldn't neccesarily say the blu is working for me, I'm only smoking less because I can't smoke and use the blu at the same time.... I'd say I'm going through more carts because they seem to burn out before they lose flavor....

Its more of a money thing than anything.... assuming bought all my carts online to get the discounts, I'm saving about $30 a month on a cart a day.... I can't justify spending for another kit without returning the blu unless I can find a good replacement at a decent price and keep the blu as back-up.... I return the blu, I'm stuck with smoking until an order arrives.... I can find local stores but I have to do research on them....
Been looking at a customizable kit with twist or spinner batts and evods or a stam ego ce4 kit.... and v2....

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
Welcome rhm :)

I'm sure you're going to get plenty of wonderful suggestions on your question.

Here's my little 2 cents..

I used blu-cig for about 3 weeks when I first quit - about a year and a half ago.

But, it didn't satisfy me. Here's why:

1) I wanted a good strong TH (throat hit) - that feeling on the back of your throat that feels like a real cigarette (analog).

2) I wanted lots of warm vapor (smoke) - like a real analog.

3) I wanted a good strong taste - yes, again like a real analog.

But Blu couldn't do that, because it didn't have what it takes to provide that - which was essentially enough voltage and "umph."

So, after trying many devices, I switched to this:
iTaste V.V. Tank Starter Kit

It's a VV (variable volt), which means I can crank it up to 5v. (Though, I usually stay around 4.3-4.7 volt).

I chose a tank system, because (for me) it was just a lot more convenient at the time.

That system finally gave me the TH + vapor + taste I needed. Once I picked it up, I didn't touch blu again.

The device above isn't the only one I have now. But, I'm mentioning the one that finally "did it" for me and allowed me to completely quit.

Hope that helps :)

P.S. I also use a minimum of 24mg Nicotone ejuice. This also helps with better TH.

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Find a local store and talk with them. NOT A SMOKE SHOP. Just an e-cig shop.

They can set you up with a good rig based on what you smoke in cigarettes. E-go has some good batteries, and vapor production, with the right tanks. I used an e-go c upgrade as my first full size setup. I save about $30 a week versus cigs. In 3 weeks from initial investment, I paid off my ecig and started saving my wallet ;).

The Blu only saved me about $6 a week lol.

onion456

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Houston, TX
howdy rhm, welcome!

i'll vouch for what everyone has already said =) i used blu too for a while. i thought they smelled wonderful, but i didnt feel like i was getting anything out of it. if you have a blu rechargable, hang onto it, its a working 510 threaded battery, its still good for something. if you upgrade, you can loan it out to your friends who want to give ecigs a try.

i will say, once i got a real setup, and some real juice, that was the end of smoking forever. i was like, you mean this actually tastes good?!?! wow! so by 'real setup' im not talking about anything fancy, just an ego-c twist and a clearo, like folks above have recommended. theyre not expensive, and once you get over the initial hardware purchase, vaping gets cheap fast. i spend $100 less a month on vaping than i did on smoking. and the more you learn and get into it, the cheaper it gets.

i wish you luck on your adventure, and welcome to ECF!

Never tried a Blu so I can't help ya there. However our smoking habits are right on point with each other with me smoking for 20 years. I haven't had an analog in over 2 weeks now and here's how I did (doing) it... I wanted to quit analogs! That's probably the biggest thing. I did a ton of research, and even more now that I have the vaping bug. I originally looked at the ecigs that looked and tasted like smokes and decided against it. The reasoning behind that was I wanted to disassociate my nicotine intake with cigs. I went out and got an ego-c 1000mah passthrough with a vision victory bottom coil tank, cuz it didn't look or feel anything like a cigarette. And I ordered 5 different flavors from mtbakervapor.com, none of which had tobacco flavors. It's funny cuz they sent me a free sample of some tobacco flavor and I threw it out. Congratulations on even starting the journey! The people here on ECF are incredible and more than willing to help! Good luck!

Tvan

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
NY
Thanks again.... the smoke shop/e-cig store is the main reason I have to research....
Oceanside, ca if anyone knows of one pretty close to the area.... that would help out.... now just to convince the wive....

Hello and welcome rhm. The vape shops are much better suited to help you than the smoke shops. It's been my experience in my area that smoke shops are not educated enough to offer guidance.

My opinion only. You can't go wrong with an ego style battery. They are versatile and affordable. Even if you do upgrade in the future it would still be a decent backup.

I am sure your wife would be supportive of you upgrading as long as you are making a serious effort to quit smoking.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
I'm really new to vaping. I'm approaching week 2 but have only been off of real cigs for about 5 days. I can tell you my experience but after you read up on here you will realize it varies for everyone. I've smoked for approx. 20 years. On my best days I was a 3/4 a day smoker. On my worst days I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Towards the end I was averaging about 1.25 packs a day.

I had some scares with blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy (everything turned out fine btw and probably had nothing to do with smoking). At any rate it got me to wake up that if I didn't do something probably in another 10 years a bone marrow biopsy may come back with a completely different story if I didn't quit my smoking. There haven't been any long term studies regarding if vaping is safer or helps people quit...which is why you will never outright see those claims on ecig/ejuice/personal vapor web sites for fear that FDA will go after them. In any regards if you research for even an hour on the internet you will most likely come to the conclusion that is safer or at they very worst equivalently dangerous.

My goal is to never do this long term...at least with a nicotine juice. I've seen these on TV adds or in gas stations for a while but the scare I had made me ask myself what have you got to lose...well let me backup. I've tried nic gum, the patch, etc. Step 1 of the patch was kind of successful for me but when I got to step 2 the nic drop was so much that I couldn't take it. And the gumb never did it for me. I think I got a problem with keeping my hands and mouth busy (oral hand fixation whatever you want to call it). At any rate I started first few days with ejoy/blu/fling disposables just trying different things out.

I'm not here to give endorsement or ratings but I found the ejoy too harsh, the fling too chemical testing, and the blu probably the best but just ok. Ejoy lasted me maybe a day. The blu and and the fling were lasting me maybe a day and half or a day and quarter but I was also still smoking real cigs. At the start I was probably still smoking 1/2 pack but that quickly dropped to 1/4 a pack with the disposables but I just couldn't shake the fact that these didn't taste the same as a real cig and I also started adding up the dollars I was spending. Ejoy I think was 9$ for 1 disposable. Blu I think was $12. I forget what Fling was. But at $6.00 for a pack of camel lights (special 2 for $12) I quickly realized I was spending more on disposables than I was on real cigs.

Admittedly after you figure long term health cost maybe $12 a day on disposables isn't that bad. (Flash back to 2 years ago...I'm pretty sure patches were more expensive than what I was smoking on daily basis as well...it may still be that way not sure haven't priced them). I'm kind of stingy and don't have a lot of cash to throw around I found you can get some disposables online for quite a bit cheaper. I think a 10 pack of the Flings was $25??? I still have them as backup but again think they test a bit chemical.

So I then decided to buy the blu starter kit in the gas station for I think $35 with 2 tobacco flavors, a menthol, cherry, and vanilla. I was going through a couple of those a day and actually the night I bought it did some goggling. Do a quick youtube search on refilling eblu cartridges (which are really cartomizers)...and you will soon find out that instead of paying 12$ for 5 cartridges you can probably get it down to 0.50% per cartidge or lower (based on quanity of ejuice you buy). For instance I payed 25$ for 10 x 3ml ejuice sampler package and also got a 15ml ejuice for free. 3ml I'm guessing has been filling 7 blu cartidges. I think you can spread it out further as I've overfilled mine and lost juice quite a bit. Again being stingy is what led me to blu and being stingy lead me to figuring out how to refill them.

I STRONGLY suggest finding a supplier that lets you pick several different flavors at different nic levels if you are going to consider refilling. As stated I found one for $25 that gave 10x3ml with different flavors. After asking vendor (a week later) you can leave comments in the notes section of your order to specify different nic levels but probably wise to check with vendor ahead of time. My 1st order was all at 30mg nicotine. My thought was I need the most nicotine possible to get me off real cigs...well it did work...but think I made mistake. I should have gotten a couple 30's, a couple 24's, a couple 18's, a couple 12's, a couple 6 or zero's etc. I have another order of ejuice coming in that is all 12mg/ml. I think the disposable's are 18 or 24 depending on which one you get. I find I need a lot in the morning but less throughout the day.

The 30mg I think helped but as stated I think it was too much. I wanted to vape more but did not need more nicotine. I wasn't feeling the need for nicotine I was feeling the need for the hand and oral fixation and blowing stuff out the mouth and nose like I used to do every 45mins or an hour with a real cig. I'm not sure how you know when you've had enough nicotine and can't explain it. It's just a feeling of I'm satisfied but I still want to continue on with the motion. I think that is where the lower nicotine mg/ml will come into play and waiting to get mine tomorrow.

So I never fully quit smoking real cigs until I started refilling my "disposables" with something higher...but that may have been a psychological taste and flavor thing too. Most of the disposables and even the eblu starter kit was mostly tobacco flavor. I'm not a menthol fan but do remember the eblu cherry and vanilla that came with starter kit was somewhat pleasing. After I got the 10 pack of trial flavors to refill with I noticed something...and not sure I really put 2 and 2 together right away but here are my thoughts. The tobacco flavors left me with a thought of ahh this just doesn't taste like a real cig and ended up having a real one every now and again just to "quench that thirst". But after trying some flavors (in my case vanilla tobacco, vanilla, peaches and creams, mocha) it made my brain not think, "Ohh I wished this tasted like a real cig;" but instead that "Damn these don't taste half bad." It kind of tricked me into paying attention to the flavor rather than into the pessimistic attitude of this doesn't taste anything like my camels can I really quit if it doesn't taste the same.

I bought blu starter kit and I know you have one. If you dig around on here I don't think they are highly thought of...but again not here to endorse or push anything as I lack the long term experience to even give you solid advice. I just know for me that I like the portability I can always have battery charging while using the other battery. I can store 5 carts and 2 batteries actually 6 carts if you count the one connected to battery. That being said I got tired of screwing and unscrewing batteries after every usage and charging. I think one charge would get me into work (25 mins or so...when I usually had 3 real cigs...told you my mornings were bad :) ). I'd unscrew and re screw battery and stealth vape at desk for next 2 hours instead of going down for 2 or 3 smoke breaks during the morning.

You might want to ask employeer about that. I haven't and no one has said anything to me but I keep the vape cloud pretty small or non existent buy holding in longer. So smell is my only real concern at work and with vanilla, Carmel, and mocha not sure anyone has noticed...but then again as smoker I can't detect things that others can with their nose.

I guess my point is that the blu starter pack did and still is serving it's purpose for me. If you refill cartridges/cartomizers it's cheaper than cigs. It's portable I got 5-6 cartridge/flavors hander, 1 battery for vaping, 1 battery for charging at all times. If it keeps you off of real cigs like I said it's either better for you or at absolute worse case is just as bad for you (but really don't see how any studies could come to that conclusion unless they place all the blame on nicotine and none on carcinogens).

If you had it to do over again many people on here may tell you to go with ego-510 or something else but what is done is done and like I said I have no intention of not using my blu. I plan on using it on the go and at work. What I did do however was buy an ego-c. It will hopefully arrive this Saturday or Sunday. Tomorrow or two days from now. It's supposed to be "a world of difference" between the two compared to battery life, vapor, throat hit, variable voltage, easier cleaning, taste, etc. Those carts from eblu I talked about resuing...they carry flavor from ejuice to ejuice. With this you can clean or buy more parts for each flavor.

I know I'm a two week noob but have read a lot...and I mean a lot on this site. You being a noob and me being a noob made me think of post I responded to two days ago. We don't look down on people that use disposables, we don't look down on people that use starter kits vs personal vapors, we don't look down on those that use personal vapors vs mods. That wasn't exact name of post but the jist of it. It seems that there is a natural progression from disposables, to ecig starter kits, to pv's, to mods.

I'm not saying that's always 100% the case or the right answer for everyone. After 2 weeks of researching and 5 days of cig free I just want to be nic free. Disposables were too expensive and didn't offer wide range of flavors. Blu starter kit while vastly cheaper if refilling with ejuice got me off of real cigs all together had some cons...namely battery switching, filling constantly, overfilling carts. I hope my ego-c solves a lot of those problems but I can't tell you now one way or the other.

Sorry for spas attack on keyboard. I didn't realize I've been typing for this long but I sure hope it helps you. Again do your own reasearch on each device and supplier. I'm too new to give you real advice and can just tell you my experience so far.

Sue U

Aug 14, 2013
Bellevue, Ne
Welcome to the forum. I'm just as new to the forum but I've been vaping for over 2 years. The only advise I can think of is either up the strength of the nicotine in your juice or try a more powerful e-cig. I had no troubles making the switch but my husband did. He temporarily upped his nic from 18 mg to 24 mg. Also we kept bags of hardcandies around for him to eat when his cigarette jones got too bad. After 2 years he has now managed to drop his nic level to 8mg and I'm down to 12mg. Keep trying, you'll get there.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
Thanks again.... the smoke shop/e-cig store is the main reason I have to research....
Oceanside, ca if anyone knows of one pretty close to the area.... that would help out.... now just to convince the wive....

Here's a link to a map of various B&M stores in Southern California. I saw someone else mention Vapure. They have multiple locations and that's where I went to get set up my first go. Check their FB page before going because they often have daily specials in store.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread