The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New at Rebuilding. Quick question.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by i2dv2da2dn, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. i2dv2da2dn

i2dv2da2dn Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lynnwood, WA
    I am currently using a Nimbus dual coil rebuildable with a 30 gauge wire and 3mm wick.. I wrapped it around 3 times. does it change if I wrap it around 4 or 2 times instead? Please reply..

2. UOENO702

UOENO702 Senior Member

May 11, 2013
    LAS VEGAS
    i believe how many wraps will change the ohms. so less wraps, lower resistance, more wraps, higher resistance

3. Statistic

Statistic Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 7, 2013
    United States
    ^^ what he said

Resistance is a function of wire composition, wire diameter and wire length. Composition you cannot change, diameter you cannot change, length you can control with coil size and wrap count. The more wire you use to wrap your coil the higher the resistance will be.

4. AttyPops

AttyPops Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Since it's dual coil, it has 1/2 the ohms of the single coils alone. So more wraps will definitely help if you want to increase the ohms. You also need the amps (well, total watts) to push the coils to make enough vapor. Calculate voltage for what you would use at about twice the ohms of the RBA (in other words: a single coil's ohms). Pray that you have the amps and/or that you are using a safe mech mod and battery that won't turn into a boomer and blow your teeth out.

Or just keep it simple and use single coils.

5. Denzilla

Denzilla Full Member Verified Member

May 25, 2013
    Ohio
    I have mine wrapped 5 times right now, and I'm getting 2.5-2.7 ohms. If I wrap it 3, I'm getting between 1.7-2.1 ohms depending on the way I fiddle with the coils. I'm using 32 gauge wire.

6. Iusedtoanalog

Iusedtoanalog Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi i2dv. The more wraps you have, the more length of wire is used, giving you more resistance on that coil. Here is a handy estimator for you > Kanthal A1 Wire resistance Chart this is for A1 kanthal wire, and shows that 1inch would be roughly .7Ω of resistance. Hope that helps a little.

7. i2dv2da2dn

i2dv2da2dn Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lynnwood, WA
    Yea I was thinking of using just single coils.. I am currently using a mech mod (NzonicV3). So just having 3 wraps on each coil would be a safe bet you think?

8. Statistic

Statistic Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 7, 2013
    United States
    One more thing to keep in mind, when using multiple coils it is imperative they are identical in wire length and consequently resistance. If one is a bit shorter than the other the electricity will flow through the shorter one first (path of least resistance) and the other coil will stay cooler than the one with lower resistance.

9. i2dv2da2dn

i2dv2da2dn Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lynnwood, WA
    Having a 32 wire would produce more ohms?

10. i2dv2da2dn

i2dv2da2dn Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lynnwood, WA
    It seems like Single coil is less complicating.. Dual coils is like having two girlfriends you have to keep them in the same level.. :closedeyes: LOL

11. AttyPops

Supporting member
    There is no safe bet. However:
    1) You need a multi-meter so you know the ohms.
    2) You need to use a well vented PV (IDK about that make/model one way or the other)
    3) It doesn't regulate the voltage, it follows battery voltage, so you have to set the ohms of the coil properly. That's why you need the multi-meter. Hard to tell by just counting wraps on the coil...there's also lead wire length. Someone that has one may be able to get you into the ballpark. I don't have that RBA.
    4) Use safe batteries...IMR usually recommended. Like AW or Panasonics (check this forum for specifics and check the manufacturer's specs)

12. AttyPops

Supporting member
    yes...because it's thinner than the 30 ga you're using.

13. Iusedtoanalog

Iusedtoanalog Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Three wraps around a 3mm wick should total somewhere near one inch...depending on your spacing.... but since you are using two coils you may be in the questionable range as far as Ω load is concerned...... Do you own a meter for testing your coils? (please say you do) If you do you should know what your final Ω load is, and whether or not your battery can supply your required amperage for that specific load..... If you are building coils I do advise you to check them before firing on any device. I would hate for someone to have a battery meltdown because they where guessing it "should" be ok......

14. i2dv2da2dn

i2dv2da2dn Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lynnwood, WA
    I will buy one sometime this week when I have time. Thank you so Much guys!

15. El_tecolote

El_tecolote Moved On

Apr 10, 2013
    Good luck with this, but try making some single coils and gain that experience before delving into dual coils. You might very well find that well-built single coils will give you all you expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.