Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
^^ what he said

Resistance is a function of wire composition, wire diameter and wire length. Composition you cannot change, diameter you cannot change, length you can control with coil size and wrap count. The more wire you use to wrap your coil the higher the resistance will be.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Since it's dual coil, it has 1/2 the ohms of the single coils alone. So more wraps will definitely help if you want to increase the ohms. You also need the amps (well, total watts) to push the coils to make enough vapor. Calculate voltage for what you would use at about twice the ohms of the RBA (in other words: a single coil's ohms). Pray that you have the amps and/or that you are using a safe mech mod and battery that won't turn into a boomer and blow your teeth out.

Or just keep it simple and use single coils.

i2dv2da2dn

Jan 27, 2013
Lynnwood, WA
Yea I was thinking of using just single coils.. I am currently using a mech mod (NzonicV3). So just having 3 wraps on each coil would be a safe bet you think?
Since it's dual coil, it has 1/2 the ohms of the single coils alone. So more wraps will definitely help if you want to increase the ohms. You also need the amps (well, total watts) to push the coils to make enough vapor. Calculate voltage for what you would use at about twice the ohms of the RBA (in other words: a single coil's ohms). Pray that you have the amps and/or that you are using a safe mech mod and battery that won't turn into a boomer and blow your teeth out.

Or just keep it simple and use single coils.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
One more thing to keep in mind, when using multiple coils it is imperative they are identical in wire length and consequently resistance. If one is a bit shorter than the other the electricity will flow through the shorter one first (path of least resistance) and the other coil will stay cooler than the one with lower resistance.

Last edited:

i2dv2da2dn

Jan 27, 2013
Lynnwood, WA
It seems like Single coil is less complicating.. Dual coils is like having two girlfriends you have to keep them in the same level.. :closedeyes: LOL
One mroe thing to keep in mind, when using multiple coils it is imperative they are identical in wire length and consequently resistance. If one is a bit shorter than the other the electricity will flow through the shorter one first (path of least resistance) and the other coil will stay cooler than the one with lower resistance.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yea I was thinking of using just single coils.. I am currently using a mech mod (NzonicV3). So just having 3 wraps on each coil would be a safe bet you think?

There is no safe bet. However:
1) You need a multi-meter so you know the ohms.
2) You need to use a well vented PV (IDK about that make/model one way or the other)
3) It doesn't regulate the voltage, it follows battery voltage, so you have to set the ohms of the coil properly. That's why you need the multi-meter. Hard to tell by just counting wraps on the coil...there's also lead wire length. Someone that has one may be able to get you into the ballpark. I don't have that RBA.
4) Use safe batteries...IMR usually recommended. Like AW or Panasonics (check this forum for specifics and check the manufacturer's specs)

Last edited:

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania

Three wraps around a 3mm wick should total somewhere near one inch...depending on your spacing.... but since you are using two coils you may be in the questionable range as far as Ω load is concerned...... Do you own a meter for testing your coils? (please say you do) If you do you should know what your final Ω load is, and whether or not your battery can supply your required amperage for that specific load..... If you are building coils I do advise you to check them before firing on any device. I would hate for someone to have a battery meltdown because they where guessing it "should" be ok......

i2dv2da2dn

Jan 27, 2013
Lynnwood, WA
I will buy one sometime this week when I have time. Thank you so Much guys!
Three wraps around a 3mm wick should total somewhere near one inch...depending on your spacing.... but since you are using two coils you may be in the questionable range as far as Ω load is concerned...... Do you own a meter for testing your coils? (please say you do) If you do you should know what your final Ω load is, and whether or not your battery can supply your required amperage for that specific load..... If you are building coils I do advise you to check them before firing on any device. I would hate for someone to have a battery meltdown because they where guessing it "should" be ok......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread