Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Hi, @JOKERIV72 , and welcome to ECF :)

More info needed. What kind of vaping are you into? Best guess, lacking info on what you're already using, would be to wind for something about the same. So if you've been using, say, 0.6 Ω factory coils / heads, then wind for 0.6. The value you've been using is a good starting point to shoot for, since it should give a similar experience.

Single coils are easy, just use one of the online calculators for number of turns for the gauge and type of wire you use. Kanthal A1 in 28 or 30 might be a good starting point for that. I'd suggest getting comfortable with single coil single wire builds first. Branch out later, if you wish, to things like dual coil, clapton wire and so on.

JOKERIV72

Jul 26, 2021
I ordered two new rda's. One being the vandy vape requiem it is a single coil rda. The other is the Vandy Vape Rath which can be used for single or duel coil builds. I've heard both were pretty good. I'm using the geekvape z max tank and the freemax m pro sub ohm tanks. I'm just tired of have to buy coils every 3rd or 4th day.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Mongrel Rda
I don't have a Mongrel RDA but do have many other RDA's. I regularly drip and squonk.

Looking at the Mongrel build deck it's bottom AF and there are guides on each side for positioning your coil. That makes it easy for building.
mongrel-rda-07.png

Are you running your Mongrel with the full or restricted AF insert? Which ever one you are using try the other one and see if that helps to improve your experience.

What ID coils have you tried already? Like you know, 3mm, 3.5mm ID, or what? You could try a different coil ID. I do not know how large of a coil ID the Mongrel will take. Try some different coil ID's until you find one that suits you best. Ideally you want a coil ID where the airflow is hitting the bottom 1/3 of your coil. From my experience that is the sweet spot with most RDA's. You don't want too much air flowing up the sides of your coil.

If you were using the 3mm Ni80 coil it came with and are not happy with it then try another metal, like SS316L or even Kanthal. Some folks like simple round wire. Others prefer claptons, aliens or another exotic type.

IMO, claptons and other exotics have more surface area and provide much more flavor than simple round wire does. When I switched over to more exotic coils the flavor popped. I immediately got much improved flavor.

Wicking. What are you using? Cotton or Rayon?
If using cotton you could try another brand. Not all cottons are created equally. Some are total crap while others are superior. Some folks swear they get better flavor using rayon. I switch off between cotton and rayon all the time.

In the end, it is going to come down to you experimenting with different coils and wicking. There is no ideal setup that works for everyone. That is true for RDA's and RTA's. You need to try different setups until you find what works best for you.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I'm just tired of have to buy coils every 3rd or 4th day.
You should not have to replace your coils every 3-4 days in any RBA.

My coils last a minimum of 6 months with regular cleaning when I rewick. Some last longer than that.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
If you can post pics of your Mongrel deck with your build in it. I have this atty, didn't like it at first, but went back to it and like it a lot more now. I will admit, it is a bit on the airy side and that could affect how you feel about it.

Coil placement is important. In the pic about that ShowMeTwice posted, look at the middle pic where the coil has the rod in it. It's important while the rod is in the coil to push down on the rod so that it fits in the notches located on each side of the Mongrel deck. This pushes the coil down to the right height in the atty.

With the airflow you can minimize it a little by aligning the airflow holes on the top cap and build deck, thus minimizing how much air flows through.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Just for your information...
When using subohm tanks with disposable coils all those nowdays use mesh coils...
Mesh is very different than the wire coils and one the differences is that it produces instant vapor cause heats up very fast...that don't mean it's better that wire coils tho..

Some prefer wire coils and other prefer mesh and others like both for different juices or atomizers or other reasons

Just wanted to say that maybe need some time to get used to wire coil building on rebuildables and it's not nessesary to use very exotic or big coils to get stronger flavour....

Ofc the point is to try different build to see what u like most cause in the end if u ask people u will see everyone thinks differently...

Ofc like others already mentioned there are "tricks" and "rules" for specific atomizers to avoid mistakes that don't have to do with personal preference...

Also I have seen from myself that the more I was building and was getting experience in that I was getting better to it and I was able to get better flavour and better performance even tho I was using same coils or even less exotic claptons....

I know it's not a suggestion u were looking for just saying there is also that to be considered...be patient and u gonna find your ideal vape...

For example atm I use 3*28/38 fused clapton coil that is considered basic by many people and I use it for both single and double coil atomizers and because I buy in spools premade clapton I just adjust it to me liking for any atomizer just by adding more wraps and increasing the id the coil for any given atomizer I use in order to get the vapor temperature I want to vape or the flavour I want to get...
The resistance don't matter anyway cause I use regulated mods so I don't care how much it will ohm on the end :)

:2c:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I've been using pre built drop in fused clapton at 0.32 ohms in a Mongrel rda. I'm getting some flavor but would like more. Again I'm a newbie I do appreciate the help. Please don't make fun, I do have to new rda's on the way. The mongrel is to loud. It is easy to build on.
    Do you like everything else about the Mongrel? It's just too loud? Do you like the airflow? Is it too wide open? Is the flavor on par? You'll have to be a bit more specific in what you're looking for.

I got a ThunderHead Creations Tauren Solo RDA not long ago. In regards to flavor and noise, it beats the Mongrel in both. Also easy to build on, but does have a coil ID restriction of probably 3.5 mm. I have a 3 mm clapton in right now and it's pretty tight. I'm currently using both RDAs though, as I don't mind the noise from the Mongrel. If a fully open airflow rating on the Mongrel is a 9, I'd say the THC Solo is about a 7. For noise, if the Mongrel is a 9, I'd say the Solo is probably a 5. If you're looking for something a lot quieter, you're likely looking for something with a bit more airflow restriction, like a Citadel clone, or a Yachtvape Claymore. My biggest gripe about RDAs is their lack of heat dissipation/insulation. The Mongrel and THC Solo don't suffer from this, and neither do the Citadel or Claymore. There are other RDAs that also put out good flavor, but they burn my lips - so I won't recommend those to anyone. The only Vandy Vape RDA I have is the Lit, and that also gets hot on the lips. Decent flavor though and innovative deck.

ThunderHead Creations Tauren Max RDTA is also a good choice. Has a 2 mL tank on the bottom, but is fully capable of being a squonk, as the bottom feeding pin rides all the way to the top of the juice tank. Gets slightly warm, but never too hot to vape. Would still recommend the Solo over it though, in pure flavor comparison.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I'm using the geekvape z max tank and the freemax m pro sub ohm tanks. I'm just tired of have to buy coils every 3rd or 4th day.
    You must vape a lot if these coils are needing to be replaced every 3-4 days. That, or you've run into a bunk batch of coils. Typically, for your average vaper, these should last anywhere from at least a week to 3 or 4 weeks. I have several kits in rotation, so they last me 2-3 months each. How many 3 or 5 packs of coils have you gone through for each?

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    You should not have to replace your coils every 3-4 days in any RBA.

My coils last a minimum of 6 months with regular cleaning when I rewick. Some last longer than that.
    Pretty sure he was talking about the Zeus Max and M Pro coils, but even those shouldn't be going out every 3-4 days. Not unless he's going through 15-20 mL of juice a day.

• Informative
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread