New builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKERIV72

Jul 26, 2021
In the mongrel rda I've been using 3mm clapton.
I don't have a Mongrel rda but do have many other rda's. I regularly drip and squonk.

Looking at the Mongrel build deck it's bottom AF and there are guides on each side for positioning your coil. That makes it easy for building.
View attachment 950845
Are you running your Mongrel with the full or restricted AF insert? Which ever one you are using try the other one and see if that helps to improve your experience.

What ID coils have you tried already? Like you know, 3mm, 3.5mm ID, or what? You could try a different coil ID. I do not know how large of a coil ID the Mongrel will take. Try some different coil ID's until you find one that suits you best. Ideally you want a coil ID where the airflow is hitting the bottom 1/3 of your coil. From my experience that is the sweet spot with most RDA's. You don't want too much air flowing up the sides of your coil.

If you were using the 3mm Ni80 coil it came with and are not happy with it then try another metal, like SS316L or even Kanthal. Some folks like simple round wire. Others prefer claptons, aliens or another exotic type.

IMO, claptons and other exotics have more surface area and provide much more flavor than simple round wire does. When I switched over to more exotic coils the flavor popped. I immediately got much improved flavor.

Wicking. What are you using? Cotton or Rayon?
If using cotton you could try another brand. Not all cottons are created equally. Some are total crap while others are superior. Some folks swear they get better flavor using rayon. I switch off between cotton and rayon all the time.

In the end, it is going to come down to you experimenting with different coils and wicking. There is no ideal setup that works for everyone. That is true for RDA's and RTA's. You need to try different setups until you find what works best for you.
I've tried the coil it came with, but switched to fused clapton coil. I added a half wrap to make it fit. That's were I got some flavor from. It is a 3mm fused clapton. I'm using the restricted insert. As for the wicking, I am using cotton bacon V2. I've ordered some firebolt cotton because I heard it was pretty good. I have a few vape stores in my area, but they don't carry a lot pre built coils or cotton. I have a couple RTA's but can not ever get the wicking right.

JOKERIV72

Jul 26, 2021
You must vape a lot if these coils are needing to be replaced every 3-4 days. That, or you've run into a bunk batch of coils. Typically, for your average vaper, these should last anywhere from at least a week to 3 or 4 weeks. I have several kits in rotation, so they last me 2-3 months each. How many 3 or 5 packs of coils have you gone through for each?
I don't vape alot, I switch ejuice alot. Trying out new ones ,or if it starts to taste funny. I work in a very dusty environment. I don't keep my vapes with me, I leave them in my office. But dust travels. Also I'm buying one to two coils not boxes.

Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I've tried the coil it came with, but switched to fused clapton coil. I added a half wrap to make it fit. That's were I got some flavor from. It is a 3mm fused clapton. I'm using the restricted insert. As for the wicking, I am using cotton bacon V2. I've ordered some firebolt cotton because I heard it was pretty good. I have a few vape stores in my area, but they don't carry a lot pre built coils or cotton. I have a couple RTA's but can not ever get the wicking right.

If you haven't already tried this - I'd suggest wicking the Mongrel looser just to see if that helps with getting some flavour. The best thing about RDAs is you're not going to get leaking, if your wicking isn't tight and perfect.

JOKERIV72

Jul 26, 2021
    If you haven't already tried this - I'd suggest wicking the Mongrel looser just to see if that helps with getting some flavour. The best thing about RDAs is you're not going to get leaking, if your wicking isn't tight and perfect.
    I will give that try. I'm up for trying anyway.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I ordered two new rda's. One being the vandy vape requiem it is a single coil rda. The other is the Vandy Vape Rath which can be used for single or duel coil builds. I've heard both were pretty good. I'm using the geekvape z max tank and the freemax m pro sub ohm tanks. I'm just tired of have to buy coils every 3rd or 4th day.

Your coils should last you a lot longer than that, and you might ask for a solution to that in another thread. I can get two weeks easy from a Freemax coil.

Partly why I say this, is because diy coils I generally need to maintain every 3-4 days. I have to clean them and put fresh cotton in. So if your drop ins are giving you only a couple days, you’ll probably not get through a day on one you build.
    Does that make sense?

My guess would be not breaking it in right, wattage is too high, chain vaping, and/or letting the tank get too low.

I’m a big fan of building but I think you ought address this issue before moving on.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I'm with Delores on this one. I'd figure out what's going on with your current setup. The Z sub-ohm was my fav before I got a Freemax Maxluke 3, and both of those coils have been widely regarded as some of the best coils in the industry for longevity as well as flavor (the 904L X and 904L M are more or less built the same). By the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like you're a high volume vaper, so I don't see why these coils shouldn't last you 3-4 weeks each.

Do you put the mod in your pocket ever? Do you ever get funny sounds, like the mod/coil is really roasting the juice? I'd imagine you're getting a burnt flavor/dry hit which is leading you to believe that your coil is toast?

• Informative
    Reactions: MLEJ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread