New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
My previous post was incorrect.
Categories are removed automatically when there are no recipes referencing them. Either change a category to another value or blank out the category in your recipe(s) and once it is not referenced it will be removed. You won't see it removed from the dropdown list after you remove it from the last recipe until you either view another recipe or close and re-launch the calculator.
Thank you, worked fine after I went through the recipes and changed them all out.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Couple questions...

1) I want to use my pre-mixed base as an ingredient in lieu of nic/vg/pg. There doesn't appear to be any way to do this. Therefore I need to enter the VG/PG/NIC as separate ingredients and then add up the values manually since I already have those ingredients mixed ahead of time. Not a big deal, but is there a way to remove/replace the VG, PG, and nic values with a pre-mix value, and have that as the only ingredient in addition to the flavorings?

2) I want to see how many flavors I have in inventory, by vendor and in total. How do I do this?

Thanks!

Reactions: fatum

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Jambi, I have set up a new nic ingredient and set the VG/PG/Nic. And call it Nic 80/20/12. I have successfully used this Nic base in several receipies. Works like a charm.
Thanks. So then I'm correct to assume your pre-mix is 80 vg/20 pg/12 mg nic? What is your target ratio for your final mix, and what errors do you get when the flavorings are factored in?

I have actually tried this, a few different ways. I get errors. This is with the "pre mix 3mg" values at 70vg/30pg/3mg nic.

11.JPG

I know why I'm getting the errors. The flavor is throwing off the ratios, and this is only a 10% flavor example. If I raise the nic level of the pre mix to 4mg, I lose the "unable to add enough nic...", but then end up having to add VG which defeats the purpose of using the pre mix, and also get the error of "not enough vg"...

12.JPG

The resulting ratio is 67.5 vg.

Another example, using 80/20/4mg nic values for the pre mix:

13.JPG

No errors, and the result is on target, but now I'm having to add vg and pg, which defeats the purpose of using a pre-mixed base, and takes me back to square one. :)

Perhaps I don't understand how to use a pre mix base? Currently I'm just doing it like this:

14.JPG

I add up the nic, vg and pg...in this case 21.63 grams, and use that amount of my 70/30/3mg base, then add the flavoring. Assuming I'm doing it right (my taste buds say yes), I don't mind doing it this way if that's what it takes. I was just wondering if there was a way to have the calc figure it all out without getting errors.

Sorry long post. It's not a big deal and I don't fault this outstanding calc. It's doing its job, and I'm probably asking for the impossible.

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
Jambi, in all the screen shots the premix shows to be less than a 70/30 mix. I am not sure what is going on there. Is your nic in a vg or pg solution? By starting at a lvl below your target, it makes sense that you would get the errors and have to add product to reach your goal. Even in your final example, the true mix is just short of a the acctual target levels your are looking for. Again, If you like the finished product the does it really matter?

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Jambi, in all the screen shots the premix shows to be less than a 70/30 mix.
Yeah, that's where I'm confused (I mean confused about how to modify it, not about why it happens). It's 70/30 3mg till a flavoring is added. Then it adjusts the values to account for PG based flavoring.

I already played around with different pre-mix values. 75/25/4, 80/20/4, etc. The only way I can nail it is if I tailor the pre-mix to a fixed flavor %, which is totally impractical. I've got recipes with flavor ratios from 2 to 24%.

So I guess if I want to hit exact numbers, I can't use a pre-mix...I mean, right? It's ok. I can go the long way when I want to be exact, no problem.

So, the big question is...if I just run the recipe like in the final screenshot, add up the VG/PG/NIC values (because that's what the pre-mix already is, just pre-mixed), use that amount of pre-mix, then add flavoring as per the calc, will I be nailing it? My own answer is on the quantity, YES. On the nic level, NO. Anything (flavor) added to Something that's already 3 mg nic will dilute the nic. On the PG/VG ratio, I honestly don't know. I'd lean towards yes? What do you think?

And to answer, I like the finished product, so it doesn't matter, but I also like to know the all the whos whats wheres and whys. :)

Last edited:

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
Lets face it. No juice has an exact PG/VG ratio. It is simply not possible. It starts that way, but as soon as you add Nic and Flavorings, there is no way to get that exact ratio. I allow myself to be deluded into thinking that it is close enough and go on from there. The only thing that I want as exact as possible is the Nic content and the flavor.

Reactions: jambi

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Great tool, keep up the great work!
Could you add the option to change the currency symbol, for example € Euro?
The currency symbol should be set to the value defined in your regional settings in the Windows control panel. In the control panel go to "Region" and on the "Formats" tab click additional settings and then select the "Currency" tab. There you will see an option for "Currency symbol".
Please let me know if this is not working correctly.

Reactions: MaDc0w

Kimaaayyy

Apr 13, 2016
Version 7.0.0.5 is available for download. Changes include:

1. When importing from a text file the URL will be added to the notes.

2. Added the ability to paste text from the clipboard into a text box and import the text into the calculator, Tools-->Import from text file-->Import pasted text.

3. When displaying the current inventory the "Alarm value" was not showing a proper value when the "Threshold" was set to 0. Fixed.

4. Added a "Storage location" field to the ingredient window.

5. Added a new menu item "View-->Display Ingredient/Manufacturer as-->Display ingredient location with name". If checked, the ingredient location will always be appended to the name of the ingredient when displayed. It will be displayed as "Ingredient name (ingredient location)".

This thread is HUGE. Can you tell me where to download the latest update? I'm just too lazy to search through 105 pages of comments. LOL!

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
This thread is HUGE. Can you tell me where to download the latest update? I'm just too lazy to search through 105 pages of comments. LOL!

The link on the first page of the thread for DropBox still works. My PC died and I reinstalled from that link. Fortunately I had a backup for my data file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread