New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayv

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2013
nj usa
Thought of a great idea on an addition. Automated File Clean Up! I back up everything to a folder on my google drive. My settings are to back up on exit. As you can imagine this creates tons of entries given the amunt of times a day I use this. Can we add in an option to keep last x number of backup and to automatically delete all others? This would go for all files that are being backed up.

Reactions: IDJoel

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I've been meaning to drop by and say thanks for the label updates and the info on setting the printer to landscape. I can now easily set up for and print on my DYMO P&P label printer without having to go out and use the DYMO software and re-enter all of the elements.

Thanks again for this great calculator.

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
Okay I have a stupid animal trick question.
I would like to have two sets of recipe inventories going on, one for general things I gather and maintain and a different one for things I am playing with. I know that I can just save the file name of the xml as a different name and load which one I want, but here is where I am having issues.
By doing the use of different xml files, each time I purchase new ingredients I have to re-add those ingredients into each of the inventories. Is there a way to do an import of only ingredients and not the recipes? Or is this what the file mainteance program side is used for (I haven't played with it), just open the 2 different xml files there and drag the new ingredients from the one to the other to add the new things...?

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
@HotRod19579 I would just like to thank you for your continuing support of this great calculator and your amazing contribution to the DIY community.

I can happily report that I've been running the juice Calculator without any problems including automatic updates, under Linux (Fedora 23 and 24). I'm going to post the short and simple guide how to most easily get it up and running with wine, feel free to post it in the main page if you want. I've tried using a virtual machine as well, but the experience was choppy and underpar, running it under wine is in another league. The guide is Fedora specific but should work the same for other distros if slightly adjust the terminal commands to represent the package manager the distro is using.

How to install
1. su //input superuser password
2. dnf install wine
3. dnf install winetricks
4. rm -rf ~/.wine //this step is redundant, you can skip it
5. exit //just once to exit superuser mode, make sure you don't miss this and proceed to the next steps without root access
6. WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
7. winetricks dotnet452 // you can now install dotnet46 as well
8. wine /home/user/Downloads/Setup.exe //input the actual directory containing the Setup for the juice calculator
9. exit
That's it really, a couple of next prompts to follow during the installation and you're good to go, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. A shortcut will be created in your App Drawer and you'll be able to use the app without any hassle.

Bugs
  • I forgot to mention that the menu bar buttons are not always functioning properly, so best stick with using the tool bar equivalents.
  • There is a confirmed bug, in which you cannot add ingredients if you choose "Add to shopping list" from the menu bar. The workaround for this is to open the Shopping list from View -> Shopping List and everything is working as intended in there.
  • Everything else seems to work correctly
Hello everyone, I'm back after a busy period and you can find a small update in the guide for installing this great calculator under Wine (applicable for both Linux and Mac by my understanding) -- just click expand to see the updated steps in the quoted post (can't update the original post)

I am considering adding a change (two changes) and I would like some thoughts/feedback.
1. Currently when the "Calculate weight based on PG/VG %" is clicked I calculate the weight based on the percentage of PG and VG. I am going to also add consideration for the amount of nicotine in the ingredient.

2. When the save button is clicked for an ingredient I am going to calculate the weight based on PG, VG and Nicotine (if present) and see if the weight entered is within range of the calculated weight. If the weight is not within range, generate and "are you sure" type of message providing the calculated value. Thoughts? What is within range, +- 0.001? +- 0.01?

Also, while googling for the weight of Nicotine I ran across different stated values for the weight of PG and VG. Does anyone know the official weight of PG & VG? The weight values which I am using, which may be slightly off are:
PG - 1.036 (Some sites are stating 1.038)
VG - 1.249 (Some sites are stating 1.26)
Nicotine, pure nicotine is 1.01 but I will adjust this value based on the stated mg.
All non PG/VG/Nic will use 1.0.
I can confirm BotBoy's values in my own measuring and experience. There definitely can be small differences in weight between different producers/brands.

Reactions: penguiness

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
New Bug?

When I import a recipe by pasting text, if an ingredient doesn't match my inventory a new ingredient is added. After doing so, I will go to the newly imported recipe and change the newly added ingredient to one that I have in inventory. For example, say the recipe calls for Capella but I only have TPA. I change the recipe to TPA. Then if I go into the inventory and delete the newly added Capella ingredient, the calculator will change the recipe the ingredient that was directly below the ingredient I just deleted.

Is this a known issue? I can replicate it....

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
I would like to have two sets of recipe inventories going on, one for general things I gather and maintain and a different one for things I am playing with. I know that I can just save the file name of the xml as a different name and load which one I want, but here is where I am having issues.
By doing the use of different xml files, each time I purchase new ingredients I have to re-add those ingredients into each of the inventories. Is there a way to do an import of only ingredients and not the recipes? Or is this what the file mainteance program side is used for (I haven't played with it), just open the 2 different xml files there and drag the new ingredients from the one to the other to add the new things...?

Have you considered using categories to separate your testing recipes? And keeping everything in one XML/DB.

Reactions: Fozzy71

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Have you considered using categories to separate your testing recipes? And keeping everything in one XML/DB.
This is what I do. I have multiple testing categories and categories for larger batches I plan to test/mix in some day or test/mix next, a category for keepers, testers, recipes to adjust, etc. Ones I don't plan to ever mix again just get nuked as I have so many recipes in the all category it's a bit overwhelming after only a few months of DIY with this calculator.

jayv

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2013
nj usa
Just noticed this and have no idea how to fix. As you can see I have Watermelon in ingridients and in inventory
upload_2016-11-6_21-52-47.png

When I try to add this Flavor in a recipe it doesnt come up.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Rod, a couple more on my wish-list:
1) An option to turn off warnings for ingredients that have 0 (zero) Inventory amount. This would allow you to maintain ingredients in the database even if you don't necessarily use them and stop the nagging message.
2) A mechanism to "lock" a recipe, but still alow you to make recipe and adjust the steep days etc. Maybe just lock the recipe ingredients.

A bug, or maybe a feature error: In the Ingredients Editor, if an ingredient is locked, you cant open the drop down box to look at which recipes use the ingredient. At least on the Mac/Wine version, I have to unlock the ingredient first so I can access the dropdown then re-lock it.

On item 2 I might not understand. I have a recipe locked and I can still make the recipe and adjust the steep days.
I will look into the other items.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Thought of a great idea on an addition. Automated File Clean Up! I back up everything to a folder on my google drive. My settings are to back up on exit. As you can imagine this creates tons of entries given the amunt of times a day I use this. Can we add in an option to keep last x number of backup and to automatically delete all others? This would go for all files that are being backed up.
I have add this to my to-do list.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I am not sure how this item can be tackled with to separate XML files. Each file is intended to be a standalone file. The file maintenance application does allow you to transfer ingredients and recipes from one file to another file but it only allows you to add new items that don't exist.

jayv

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2013
nj usa
Just noticed this and have no idea how to fix. As you can see I have Watermelon in ingridients and in inventory
View attachment 612317

When I try to add this Flavor in a recipe it doesnt come up.
Issue resolved! i had "Display ingredients by Category" checked on and this was in a separate folder.

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
Yeah, that is what I currently do, I was looking at just having a separate data base set aside for what I'm playing with thought so I'm not looking at Sugar Cookie 1, Sugar Cookie 2, Sugar Cookie 3 etc in my main recipe list. I currently use the Category are with names like Testing, To Mix, ADV, and a few other things like that... I do think the Maintenance program is what will be the working answer to what I am wishing to do though... btw thx for the responses .
Hotrod... that is what I was looking at using it for, so I could easily update the one xml file (that wouldn't be used too often) to add ingredients that may be missing from the main xml file that I normally use, without having all the additional recipes of that main xml file.

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
New Bug?

When I import a recipe by pasting text, if an ingredient doesn't match my inventory a new ingredient is added. After doing so, I will go to the newly imported recipe and change the newly added ingredient to one that I have in inventory. For example, say the recipe calls for Capella but I only have TPA. I change the recipe to TPA. Then if I go into the inventory and delete the newly added Capella ingredient, the calculator will change the recipe the ingredient that was directly below the ingredient I just deleted.

Is this a known issue? I can replicate it....
When I am Importing a recipe as your doing I first look to see if I have the ingredients that the recipe I am Importing does. If I don't, I note which ones I will be substituting, as you said TPA for CAP... while the Import is still in the popup notepad I change the CAP that is called for into the TPA I have in inventory, then I hit the Import button. This stops me from having to go back and delete the flavor that wasn't in my inventory to begin with.
"the calculator will change the recipe the ingredient that was directly below the ingredient I just deleted."
I have not noticed this happening.

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
... while the Import is still in the popup notepad I change the CAP that is called for into the TPA I have in inventory, then I hit the Import button.

I try to do this also but have overlooked an ingredient in the recipe that I do not have in inventory. I'm glad you don't have this issue but I can replicate it on my install.... :( Now that I am aware of this behavior I keep an eye out for it but, this has caught me off guard and I have made a new recipe with the wrong ingredient.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I try to do this also but have overlooked an ingredient in the recipe that I do not have in inventory. I'm glad you don't have this issue but I can replicate it on my install.... :( Now that I am aware of this behavior I keep an eye out for it but, this has caught me off guard and I have made a new recipe with the wrong ingredient.

I found the problem and hope to make a new version available this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spydor

Sep 30, 2016
Hello HotRod! I have a feature request. Would it be possible to put the options in the Print Label Advanced as default settings in Tools->Options->Print defaults->Advanced label printing defaults? Or just have these settings remembered from a previous session?

My workflow is usually to mix, click "Make recipe" to update inventory/steeping/etc., repeat... then print labels using the Print Label Advanced for all the recipes I just made. Sometimes I forget to un-check the options of "Add recipes to steeping list", "Reduce ingredient inventory", and "Update last made date"...all of which were already done when clicking "Make recipe". This creates a real headache to go back and re-adjust everything.

Hopefully I am not overlooking a simple fix already present.
Thanks for your awesome calculator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread