New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshing02

Sep 15, 2016
Upon opening calculator today all my recipes and ingredients have vanished. Please help

update: So I figured out that for some reason the xml wasn't open and was able to get it back. So Now after a panic attack, (300+ flavors (LOL)), I noticed another post about restoring from backup. However I need help with creating a backup. Do I just copy the .xml file or is there an option in the menu I'm missing?

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Upon opening calculator today all my recipes and ingredients have vanished. Please help
Does the title bar of the recipe window reflect the name of your juice file?
If you know where you saved your juice file you should be able to manually open by clicking "File->Open" and navigate to the directory that you saved the file. By default this directory is a sub-directory of your "My Documents" and is name either JuiceCalculator or EJuiceCalculator.

tshing02

Sep 15, 2016
Does the title bar of the recipe window reflect the name of your juice file?
If you know where you saved your juice file you should be able to manually open by clicking "File->Open" and navigate to the directory that you saved the file. By default this directory is a sub-directory of your "My Documents" and is name either JuiceCalculator or EJuiceCalculator.
Spot on fix bro, Tyvm! For some reason there was nothing there. To make a backup I just need to copy the xml file or is there a place in the menus to create one?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Spot on fix bro, Tyvm! For some reason there was nothing there. To make a backup I just need to copy the xml file or is there a place in the menus to create one?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
In the "Tools->Options" there is a tab labeled "Backup options". I highly recommend that you choose one of the auto backup options. If backups are on you can go to "File->Restore from backups" if something happens to your juice file.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 8.0.0.3 is available for download. Changes include:
  1. Added the ability to set the auto increment values individually for the “Amount to make”, “Target nicotine”, “PG %”, “VG %” and “Flavor %”. This is set on the “Auto increment” tab of Tools->Options. Disabled the ability to set the increment value on the ingredients tab.
  2. Added a minimum and maximum value to the “Auto Increment” tab. These values are used to set the limits of when the “Preset Increment values” will be used. Click the “See explanation of values” button to see more details on how the auto increment and preset values are used.

3. When ingredient weight is calculated, also consider the weight of the nicotine contained in the ingredient. When saving the ingredient generate a warning message if the weight provided is off by more than 0.01 grams.

4. Added a new option, “Tools->Options”, Ingredient defaults tab, “Show weight warning messages”. When checked the weight checking in item 3 above will be performed.

5. Added a new option, “Tools->Options”, Backup options tab, “Auto delete backups older than X days”. When provided all backup files older than X number of days will be deleted when the calculator is closed. Note that the last/only backup will never be deleted.

6. When the ingredient window is locked added the ability to see the recipes that the ingredient is being used in.

7. Under certain circumstances deleting a flavor ingredient would change an ingredient in the recipe being viewed. Fixed.

8. The Print labels advanced window will remember the last used checkbox settings and restore them the next time the window is opened.

Spydor

Sep 30, 2016
Version 8.0.0.3 is available for download. Changes include:

8. The Print labels advanced window will remember the last used checkbox settings and restore them the next time the window is opened.

Wow. This change was implemented in less than 12 hours from my request. Now that is impressive!

Thanks so much!
-spy

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Oh gosh...someone help! [emoji33] I updated and now all my recipes and flavors are gone! Is there a fix or a way I can un-upgrade?
If you use the default file locations this should work for you:
New Calculator to try

Then you might want to follow HotRod's suggestion and turn on the back-up as he suggests here:
New Calculator to try

You can find these posts 6 and 4 post back (respectively) from this one.

Cheers! :toast:

JahLove7124

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
CA
If you use the default file locations this should work for you:
New Calculator to try

Then you might want to follow HotRod's suggestion and turn on the back-up as he suggests here:
New Calculator to try

You can find these posts 6 and 4 post back (respectively) from this one.

Cheers! :toast:

I've tried the above mentioned fix and it didn't work. It's like all my settings reset. Ingredients are gone, recipes are gone, even my default nic/PG/VG settings are back to the default. Is there any way I can undo the upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I've tried the above mentioned fix and it didn't work. It's like all my settings reset. Ingredients are gone, recipes are gone, even my default nic/PG/VG settings are back to the default. Is there any way I can undo the upgrade?
Not that I have read. Did you look in your Documents file?

When I look at My "Options" it show the path as "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\JuiceCalculator"
upload_2016-11-16_1-39-14.png

Then using file explorer I can go to Documents (in C:\) and confirm the JuiceCalculator folder. In the folder I find:
upload_2016-11-16_1-43-2.png

The top/first file is the one you are looking for. Though I think the program only needs to be pointed to the correct folder.

NOTE: Your path may be different than mine... it depends on where your Documents folder is located.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Oh gosh...someone help! [emoji33] I updated and now all my recipes and flavors are gone! Is there a fix or a way I can un-upgrade?

I am confident that your recipes and flavors are not gone, it is just a matter of finding where the juice file is located. By chance do you logon to Windows with more than one user account? Since you couldn't find the juice file in the default "Documents" location as IDJoel suggested it might be in the "Documents" location under another user on your PC. The file that you are looking for has a .xml extension. When you originally created the file, using the File->Save as, you provided a directory location and file name. The directory location by default is in your "Documents" folder under a subdirectory of JuiceCalculator. Do you remember the name of the file? The name is always displayed in the title bar of the calculator. The title bar would show you "(File = xxxx.xml")".

Have you looked at "File->Open recent"? Maybe the file is listed there.
Did you have backups turned on? If so you could "File->Restore from backups".

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Also, do you know if you installed the standard version of the calculator or the portable version? Assuming you installed the standard version; The directory name and filename of your last opened juice file is in a file called "DefaultOptions.xml". This file is located at "c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\JuiceCalculator\DefaultOptions.xml". Replace "YourUserName" with your user name (and search other usernames also). If you open this file you can search for "LastOpenedFile".

If you installed the portable version, the JuiceCalculator directory is in a location that you specify but by default it is in your documents folder in a subdirectory called EJuiceCalculator. Under the EJuiceCalculator directory there is another subdirectory called "Data". The DefaultOptions.xml is located in the ".\EJuiceCalculator\Data" directory.

JahLove7124

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
CA
Also, do you know if you installed the standard version of the calculator or the portable version? Assuming you installed the standard version; The directory name and filename of your last opened juice file is in a file called "DefaultOptions.xml". This file is located at "c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\JuiceCalculator\DefaultOptions.xml". Replace "YourUserName" with your user name (and search other usernames also). If you open this file you can search for "LastOpenedFile".

If you installed the portable version, the JuiceCalculator directory is in a location that you specify but by default it is in your documents folder in a subdirectory called EJuiceCalculator. Under the EJuiceCalculator directory there is another subdirectory called "Data". The DefaultOptions.xml is located in the ".\EJuiceCalculator\Data" directory.

When I follow the standard version instructions above, I get this page
f38c7901e33eb2f09e4c94b0bddbcbd8.jpg

I don't see "YourUserName" anywhere though

JahLove7124

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
CA
I am confident that your recipes and flavors are not gone, it is just a matter of finding where the juice file is located. By chance do you logon to Windows with more than one user account? Since you couldn't find the juice file in the default "Documents" location as IDJoel suggested it might be in the "Documents" location under another user on your PC. The file that you are looking for has a .xml extension. When you originally created the file, using the File->Save as, you provided a directory location and file name. The directory location by default is in your "Documents" folder under a subdirectory of JuiceCalculator. Do you remember the name of the file? The name is always displayed in the title bar of the calculator. The title bar would show you "(File = xxxx.xml")".

Have you looked at "File->Open recent"? Maybe the file is listed there.
Did you have backups turned on? If so you could "File->Restore from backups".

I only use one user account. The title bar of the calculator just says "Recipe Calculator"
4391bb8592cda9632bebc884cd51dfa4.jpg

File->Open Recent isn't available for me to click
93feb7474b05e1b9ca48a1416c9fb705.jpg

Even when I use File Explorer, Documents->JuiceCalculator->It's empty. But I just noticed it says "Date modified" as 2/14/16? But I installed the update last night...?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
The date on the folder should reflect the date you first installed the calculator.
When you open the DefaultOptions file you should search for "lastopenedfile".
Do you remember the name of your juice file? It was the name in the title bar when you had it opened. Right now you don't have it opened so it won't show you. If you remember the name you can use Windows to search for that name.
You could also search for "*.xml" but that might display a lot of results, you would need to recognize the name of your file.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
The date on the folder should reflect the date you first installed the calculator.
When you open the DefaultOptions file you should search for "lastopenedfile".
Do you remember the name of your juice file? It was the name in the title bar when you had it opened. Right now you don't have it opened so it won't show you. If you remember the name you can use Windows to search for that name.
You could also search for "*.xml" but that might display a lot of results, you would need to recognize the name of your file.

Perhaps when upgrading, he set a different path for some reason? In which case, wouldn't the xml file possibly be in another folder? Maybe searching for "recipe*.xml" would help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread